“Some issues but well worth the price”

Candlewood Suites - Austin South
Ranked #115 of 200 Hotels in Austin
Rome, New York
“Some issues but well worth the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

This is the second Candlewood property we've stayed at. Nice, clean, large room with great amenities. Restaurant close by. Extremely helpful front desk staff. working bbq grill although we didn't get a chance to use it. exercise room , huge free laundry facility.

CON: can be difficult to find, especially if you have a Garvin GPS that isn't too smart :)

Suggestion to Candlewood mgmt. Please add a corkscrew to the utensil inventory in the rooms.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

I stayed here recently when I had some free time to kill in Texas after a Conference. The Hotel is tricky to get to, just off the IH-35. Plenty of parking on-site. Staff were helpful and check-in was straightforward. Room was a little smaller than I am used to with the Candlewood brand. No seperate Lounge area. Bedroom and kitchen all together with a comfortable armchair next to the bed.. Room was clean. Has good gym and a laundry. The Candlewood Cupboard (ie internal food/snack store) was poorly stocked with very little to choose from. Overall I rate this Candlewood average. However its good value for money as it was inexpensive.

Room Tip: Rooms away from IH-35 should be quiter
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin South, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear Rod V,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. I am glad to see that you left some feed back on what you liked as well as what feel below your expectations. I'm deeply sorry for any inconveniences you have experienced. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve.If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, Please do not hesitate to let us know.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Houston, Tx
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We booked and stayed in two rooms at this hotel. After some initial confusion over the booking, which was done through a third party site, things were ironed out by the helpful man at the front desk and we were able to get into our rooms. However, some of us had to end up moving rooms because the first one we were put in had a very strong smell. The staff chocked it up to construction and repainting (they are in the process of remodeling), but the only way I can describe the smell was cat pee. Definitely not a normal "remodeling" smell. The room we were moved to did have the faint smell of new paint, however we were much more prepared to deal with that than pet smell.

The rooms were modern and comfortable, bathrooms were spacious and clean. They have full size refrigerators and a small kitchen area, which we didn't use but would be very convenient for anyone staying for an extended period of time. My only complaint there was that when I went to make coffee one morning, I noticed that the small coffee maker they provide use of was very dirty inside, and definitely not usable. Thankfully they provide complimentary coffee and tea in a room on the first floor, so I was still able to get my coffee fix in the mornings.

The hotel is located in an industrial area next to the interstate. We found the location suited our needs well as far as leaving to see sites and traveling around town.

Hopefully, once they have finished remodeling, this will be an awesome place to stay. At the time of our stay, it was just average and there are definitely some things they need to improve on. Overall, we were not disappointed for the price, but will probably stay somewhere else next time we visit Austin.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Zell am See, Austria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

This is the best place for all my needs in Austin. Staying South of I-35, close to the airport, away from the city's traffic and free parking. That is just perfect! The suite was clean, modern and I had a great stay. Excellent staff and very nice people staying there. It fits the bill, not a luxury hotel, not in the middle of the city, but a very very very short drive away. I will most definitely stay there again on my next visits to Austin. What shocked me more is that I was told that the next time around they would have renovated the suites! I thought they were in perfect conditions to start with. Truly impressed.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Dfw
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

The hotel was a little tricky to find at first. It is located south of downtown in a more industrial area. The staff was good. I arrived late and my room was ready and perfectly located across the FD.
The bedding was ok but the tv a d batbroom were a little outdated. I did get a letter that talked about a renovation coming up.

Overall, I would recomend this hotel but just for a 1 night stay if you want something outside the city just to sleep.

• Stayed January 2012
Arlington, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

Spent the weekend in Austin attending a workshop and enjoying the city, and found the Candlewood Suites an excellent choice of where to stay. Located off I-35 in the south part of town, it was easy to get from the Candlewood to the places I wanted to go - south Congress Avenue, downtown, the airport, and my workshop at the Writing Barn. The hotel was clean, the staff very helpful, and the price quite reasonable (less than a hundred dollars a night) The room/suite provided all I needed and more - TV and DVD player, full kitchen, desk and free Internet service, bathtub and shower, big comfortable bed - even a 24-hour fitness center and snack vending room just down the hall from my suite. I will definitely make this my lodging place the next time I visit Austin.

Room Tip: rooms/suites on the first floor are very convenient to get to all the hotel offers.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

I am from Michigan and me and a friend traveled to Austin for a week long vacation just to check it out, our stay at this hotel was amazing. The room was very clean, and for the price it was very large. It also comes with a kitchenette, full size fridge and a microwave. You cant beat it for the price.
The location provides easy access to soco and the downtown bar district. It also has a few close restaurants (ihop, Texas land and cattle, twin peaks, taco cabana etc.) If your thinking of cabbing it to 6th st it will cost around $12 one way.
The staff was very friendly and answered any question we threw at them.
If i ever visit Austin again this is the only hotel i will stay at.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends