“Will stay here again”

Ranked #108 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Gainesville, Virginia
“Will stay here again”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I was in town for business and stayed here for four nights. The room was clean and spacious. The staff were always pleasant and helpful. I have only two negatives, the refrigerator turning on and off during the night would wake me up. Second, it would be nice if the bathroom fan and the light were on separate switches. The location was great - across the street from a movie theatre, grocery store, stores and restaurants.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Susan C
Jessica S, Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin Arboretum-Northwest, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear Susan,

Thank you for taking the time to let us hear your voice. We are delighted you enjoyed our amenities and location and have taken note of your helpful comments. We will address this with our engineer. Hope to accommodate you again in the future and thank you again for your feedback. Happy travels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 24 October 2013

My friend and I were very happy with this property. We didn't have a car for the first couple of days of our stay and it was easy access to the bus, close to Whole Foods with great food choices, very friendly and accommodating staff and a free laundry! Comfortable, clean rooms. One thing to note, this property does not have rooms with more than one bed so you have to upgrade to a suite with a couch pull out if you need more than one bed. The hotel staff was happy to move us so it wasn't a problem and the couch pullout was actually comfortable! Highly recommend Candlewood Suites.

Room Tip: Just remember this property only has rooms with one queen bed. You must upgrade in order to have a...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ak_gypsy949
Dear ak_gypsy949,
Thank you so much for your input! We are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to host you again in the future. Happy travels.
Lorain
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on business for two weeks loved the location an staff. The laundry facilities were to use. There is so much to do in this area. The staff gets to know you and makes your stay very comforting. Clean rooms. Pet friendly hotel.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Tonya P
Jessica S, Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin Arboretum-Northwest, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear Tonya,
Thank you so much for your feedback - we love that you enjoyed our spacious suites, cleanliness and location. We are looking forward to your return to the Arboretum area of Austin!
Thanks so much again and happy traveling,
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 23 September 2013

This place was a MASSIVE improvement over the Extended Stay Arboretum North our corporate host had us previously lodged.

The staff were very friendly, and even handled things like mail forwarding and having a package picked up both with ease and with a friendly attitude. The free and 24 hour laundry was very handy.

I did not have a pet room, so no problems there, and my no-smoking request was met by putting me on the floor the farthest away from the smokers, thanks!

There was enough counter space for both me and my BF to work at computers or eat, even in the smaller sized room we were in.

The only annoying issue was the old no-thermostat A/C that would cycle on and off every 2-3 minutes, I was there for nearly a month and never got used to it firing up full-steam so many times overnight.

Only once was I discouraged by the vibe of other guests, most people staying here were nice and somewhat put together.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ActiveTraveler07
Jessica S, Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin Arboretum-Northwest, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Dear AT from DC,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your month long stay and the amenities that came with it. We hope you enjoyed every bit of your Austin trip and are so happy we got to be a pleasant part of it!
Happy travels and take care,
Ohio City, Ohio
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Very dirty hotel. Dog hair everywhere on the floors, even our room. Also the coffee bar was in a mess and I found dog hair within the washer and dryer.

In addition I had ants in my room: The kitchen, nightstand and on the floor. Can also be found at the coffee area and the walls throughout the complete hotel. But nobody cares. Dirty BBQ, very sad story at all.
Was told I was the only one with the problem. Sure..
If you have any problems, nobody is willing to help you. The staff is lazy and not interested.
Was a short stay, but would never ever recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank James B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin Arboretum-Northwest, responded to this review, 3 December 2012
Dear James B,

We certainly appreciate you bring this matter to our attention. I am sorry to read you received service that was less than satisfactory and apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We’d like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience, so we have sent you a private message.

Irish V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Cibolo, Texas
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Location: I give this hotel's location two thumbs up for three reasons. First, the hotel is offset from any roadways so there is no background road noise. Second, albeit that there is no road noise, it is only a few blocks from Highway 183. That means you can blast north or south to get anywhere in the Austin area with relative ease. I dealt with morning and evening traffic during my week there but this hotel's location wasn't impacted too badly. Third, the hotel is located among several other businesses, to include Whole Foods, Sprouts, REI, a cinema, Baby Acapulco (Mexican restaurant with excellent chips and salsa), and Target. My bride and I grocery shopped the first night of our arrival to stock the room's kitchen with healthy meals for the duration of our visit. We spent about $60 for the bulk of our meal planning for the week. It was a money saver and we ate healthy.

Clean Room: Our room was clean and comfortably located on the 3rd floor. The bed was comfortable with cotton linens. We took our own pillows for great nights' sleeps. The room is equipped with a decent flatscreen TV, a perfect little kitchen with all the needed supplies (pots, pan, utensils, colander, refrigerator, stove/oven, microwave, plates, cups, dishes, dishwasher, etc), a comfortable bathroom with great water pressure, and desk-top/work area for work and studies. The A/C in the room blew cold air...that's all I ask from an air conditioner. It never froze up and I stayed comfortably chilly in my room.

Staff: When I checked in, a young man named Ben tended to front desk. He represented the Candlewood Suites professionally. During my stay, another young man named Keith provided some extra towels upon my request. He was kind and attentive to our needs. Upon check out, a pleasant young lady (sorry I didn't get her name) offered a warm smile and thanked me for staying with the Candlewood Suites. I can't comment on the maid service since we didn't ask for any during our stay. In the few brushes with the maid service up and down the hallways, they were kind and polite to me.

Physical Fitness/Workout Room: The shopping district around the Castlewood Suites has plenty of sidewalks for an evening/morning walk. We did that one evening. Another evening, we used the hotel's workout room. It was exceptionally clean. The workout room has two quality treadmills (Matrix brands), a stationary bike, an elliptical, and a weight station. It is air conditioned with a TV and cold water dispenser. It was nice! I enjoyed working out there.

Honor System Shopette: The weight room is kindly attached to an in-house shopette with access to snacks, ice cream, ice cream bars, ice cream sandwiches, pints of ice cream of various wonderful flavors, cold ice cream, inviting ice cream, ice cream that called out to me the whole time I was working out. I love ice cream...why do they put the ice cream next to the workout stations? Sorry...I got lost in the ice cream cravings....anyway, the shopette is convenient, practical, and well stocked for those small things you might need. The shopette is joined by several washers and driers for those who need to do their laundry...it was all clean.

Items in need of attention: There's always a maintenance issue here or there when it comes to critiquing. My review keeps this Candlewood Suites in an excellent status despite some maintenance issues. The only way to remedy such items is to bring them to the attention of the management.

Issue 1: The refrigerator in the room cycled through defrost (I'm guessing) and at about 11:00 PM each night the fan in the freezer made raucous noise that lasted about 30 minutes. It continued off and an throughout the night. For me, it was no big deal, but I could see someone getting upset about such a trivial thing interrupting his/her sleep.

Issue 2: The elongated horseshoe lock bar on the inside of entrance door for our room was broken. Again, I wasn't worried for my sake but I could see someone being concerned about it. The part that was broken was the lower hinge pin. It looks to be a simple fix so why not get it done?

I'd stay at this hotel again without hesitation!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Kayaking-Flatwater
Jessica S, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin Arboretum-Northwest, responded to this review, 23 October 2012
What a wonderful and thorough review, Kayaking! Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to share your experience with the world. We look forward to seeing you again next time you travel to Austin!

Jessica Swarts
Operations Manager
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 10 August 2012

The hotel is very clean and comfortable, very quite, no breakfast because they have nice kitchen with full refr.stove, the lay out of the room was very good, people at front desk was more than accomadating and personal, going out of their way to be very helpful, making sure we had the correct room and willing to let you move if you didnt like the location of your room. we were there for a wedding and if we ever go back we will certainly stay at the candlewood suites
M.Gipson

Room Tip: make sure you know who you are booking your room from Hotel.com,ect. so there will be no supprises w...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank mapowell
Jessica S, Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin Arboretum-Northwest, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
M. Gibson,
Thanks so much for your feedback! Very kind of you to go out of your way to tell the world about your delightful stay and we certainly love to hear our guests' thoughts. I'll pass on the accolades to my front desk and housekeeping teams and appreciate, once again, you sharing your experience. We look forward to serving you during your next trip to Austin! Take care.