“Fantastic location, fun motel - HIGHLY recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Austin Motel

Austin Motel
Ranked #79 of 200 Hotels in Austin
Vancouver, Canada
“Fantastic location, fun motel - HIGHLY recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

I can't say enough good things about the Austin Motel - we simply loved it. Our Greek-themed room was beautiful and comfortable, the staff were great and the location is unbeatable.

Situated right in the heart of the SoCo strip, the motel is spitting distance from dozens of fabulous restaurants (don't spit on them though, please) and a very easy walk into downtown.

I can't wait to return.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CinnamonBun

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Austin Motel for 1 night in June 2013. We arrived in Austin very early (10am) and I immediately called the hotel to see if we could check in early so we could use the pool. They said that regular check in time was 3pm, but to stop by around noon and they could likely check us in by 1pm. When I arrived at the front desk, the lady was extremely rude and said that check in's were not allowed until 3pm. When I said I called and talked to someone else who said an earlier check in was possible, she acted like I was lying. I asked if we could use the pool while we waited to check in and she said hesitated and then said no since there was nowhere for us to change clothes. So, we left to explore S. Congress for a bit and checked back every hour or so. The lady at the front desk continued to be rude, and we then parked outside our room and basically watched the maids clean it very, very slowly.

When they were finally finished (after 3pm), I went back to the desk and asked to check in. I was told that our room was not ready yet, at which point I told them I just watched as the maids finished up. I had to practically beg the lady to contact the maids to see if it was finished. When she finally called them, she found out that yes it was ready.

When we finally checked we found the room to be a complete dump, and the floor was so sloped I could barely stand up without losing my balance. And then to top it all off, when my wife showered the next day she found the biggest roach we've ever seen. I know everything's a little bigger in Texas, but this thing was practically a horse not a roach.

Overall, this place is a dump and the staff is rude. Avoid at all costs. You can pony up just a few more dollars and stay next door at the San Jose and you'll be much happier.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank M J
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

This motel doesn't need another glowing review but here goes... A decent price, a great location, funky decor with lots of individuality. Bonus: I had a chance to do some laundry. A short walk across the street to the amazing Continental Club, and you're right on the main SoCo strip without paying exorbitant prices. I dislike tacky touristy stuff but I couldn't help it - I even bought a T-shirt on the way out.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Denton, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

This 1930s era motor hotel on South Congress is in the heart of the happening SoCo area, surrounded by chic and quirky boutiques, restaurants of all kinds, and clubs. It is convenient for almost all Austin activities -- central but not in the jammed-up downtown traffic that starts just across the lake to the north. The place is simple to a fault -- it has restored rooms with all tile bathrooms and, terra-cotta tile floors, and wall murals for a themed decor. The web-page lets you look at each room. They are comfortable and clean with good bedding and free wi-fi, but rudimentary in the extreme. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. The pool is nice.

Room Tip: Check the web page. it has a room map and photos of every room on the property. Pick your own theme...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John B
Little Rock, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

A step back in time. Very good value & great location, location, location. Rooms kinda small but clean...a step back in time. Even the old tv's. will definitely stay again. Great food trucks and restaurants,

• Stayed May 2013
Huddersfiekd, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

I am a visitor from England and this is my 2nd stay at Austin Motel. I would recommend this to anyone. The motel is located in a convenient part of Austin. The rooms are comfortable and clean and the staff are friendly and obliging. My one recommendation would be to have fridges installed in rooms. I missed this facility as the 'on tap' ice doesn't replace this. If I visit Austin again I would plan to stay here.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

This is the best located motel in Austin for the Soco district and not that far from 6th Street. It is a room with a bed, tub, TV and no frills. If you want a place to stay to sleep and clean that's about it. The bad is the mattress is like mush no support at all. When we arrived it was during a rain storm so the computers at the motel were inoperative. The men behind the desk were at a loss on what to do but they gave us our key and said they would call us later so we could do a formal checkin. They were as friendly as anyone could expect under such circumstances. On the other hand the morning lady was rude to no only me but other guest, it's plain to see the owners are not interested as to the type help they keep because this motel is full almost all the time so why should they make any changes. My final say is if you want a room with location it's tops. Parking is difficult at best but once again you are 1/2 block from the Continental Club & right at the start of the Soco district.

Room Tip: I like a room that's one story not the two story where there's noise above.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple