“Quality Staff, Programs and Facilities in a Beautiful, Unpretentious Setting”

Lake Austin Spa Resort
Ranked #47 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I just completed my second visit to Lake Austin Spa Resort and remain impressed with the quality of the staff, programs and facilities. I find the setting beautiful and unpretentious and the staff is a cut above in both knowledge and friendliness. It is a great opportunity to focus on health and fitness through a variety of programs and relax and be pampered at a first class spa. You leave rejuvenated and looking forward to returning!

Room Tip: We loved sitting on the patio in front of one of the rooms that face the garden and Lake Austin. Wi...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FJP-TEX
There are newer reviews for Lake Austin Spa Resort

Reviewed 23 August 2013

Never been to a spa before. Had researched the best of the best and decided if I ever went to a spa for a stay it would be on the West coast. My sister-in-law had been asking me for some time away together. This year has been hectic and my husband and I had already been on several lengthy trips. So an epiphany! Close to home was this well reviewed Lake Austin Spa. Also the friends I knew who had been there always recommended it. Since we have a weekend home on Lake Travis I probably would never have chosen it under normal circumstances. But I am so happy circumstances pushed me to this resort. It was one of the best experiences I have ever had. It is an amazing value for the money. I cannot say enough about the excellence of the fitness classes I took or the spa appointments. I feel it exceeded my expectations. The atmosphere so serene you couldn't help but feel relaxed and renewed. Best of all were the uber-friendly staff both at the resort, spa and dining rooms. Not put-on friendly. Genuinely friendly as in they really wanted to make my experience the best ever. They did. Two days was not enough. I will be back.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Yumsmum
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Enjoyed mother/daughter weekend in August - will definitely plan to return at the same time of year. Beautiful resort, great amenities, spa treatments, lake view rooms, gourmet food, music, culinary classes, activities. Perfect getaway - left inspired for healthy, active living.

Room Tip: Lake view is a plus - lovely outdoor patios for lounging.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank seje1000
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This resort is well worth every penny you spend to enjoy the beauty of Lake Austin in such a serene, restful setting. The most spectacular feature of the trip was the clearly-stated "NO DRESSCODE" policy. Showing up in a spa robe to a five-course meal just seems to be the ultimate in relaxation and pampering!! Our summer camp only lasted two days, but it feels like I've been out of the country for weeks! Treat yourself to this very deserved indulgence.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms here!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank TheTravelingSmile
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Had a wonderful stay at the resort and spa. Next visit I stay longer! The staff was so friendly and accommodating. Loved the hammock by the lake was relaxing. Loved all the classes and the food was out of this word and healthy too! Everything was perfect!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jan K
Reviewed 31 July 2013

20 miles outside of downtown Austin, this place has a spectacular setting with equally spectacular service. The people are SO nice and the place is really relaxing. If you want to be in the middle of Austin at all times this is not the place for you but there are great water and outdoor activities here which is perfect for the day. And Austin is one of the greatest cities in the U.S. so the Lake Austin Spa Resort is a great compromise for those who want to luxury spa outdoorsy experience and those who want constant entertainment and great restaurant choices in the Austin downtown.

This is an all-inclusive spa with food included. The food is excellent and plentiful. They serve it in spa-like portions - so get 2 or 3 orders and you are fine. The staff could not have been nicer. The guests were 80% women but it is fine for couples too - lots of white robes. Guys can just go to Austin to escape the serenity.

The rooms are the only week point in that they are clean and comfortable but not truly luxurious although the bed was excellent and we slept very well.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank NYSojourner
Reviewed 24 July 2013

If your idea of luxury is marble everywhere, the newest electronics, sprawling bathtubs/showers, and 24 hour room service, then you might want to go elsewhere. The luxury here is understated and quiet, like you're staying at a friend's cabin but don't want to be too loud or tell her you hate what she's preparing to make for dinner. Here's the breakdown:

ACCOMMODATIONS:
- There are only 40 rooms on the whole premises- some of the lower numbered ones have a private hot tub and are more expensive. #14 is the ladybird suite which is larger and more luxurious. Only certain rooms are dog-friendly and have a $300 NR deposit.
- The standard rooms are nice, but nothing super special. Decor is cottage country, bathroom is fairly small, and bathtub is standard size and therefore not conducive to a bath unless you're the size of a 12 year old.

LOCATION:
- Kind of far from downtown Austin so once you're there, prepare to stay and not venture out unless you want a 30-45 min drive. We have friends near South Congress so we had dinner with them and it took us 45 min each way which was a bummer.

SPA:
- This is the reason most people come here. They have a TON of treatments and I suggest you book at least a week before your arrival. There are 20 treatment rooms with many suited for couples. The masseuses themselves are good, but not great (at least not the 2 I had)- one didn't even ask what pressure I wanted. Most room packages come with a spa allotment.

GENERAL:
- Being that it was July when we went, it was HOT and there were lots of bugs. I fell asleep next to the spa pool for 30 minutes in broad daylight (2pm) and woke up with SIX mosquito bites all over my body. Wish I had brought the mosquito spray or better yet- they should provide you with some during peak mosquito season as scratching bites for the remainder of the trip is not relaxing.
- Service was good, but very casual. Nothing too over the top here. One complaint was after we checked in and were escorted to our room by a "security guard" (since it was after hours), he didn't offer to help me carry my large duffel or my rolling suitcase- he just walked in front of me with a flashlight to show the path and let me huff and puff with my own luggage, which I thought was VERY rude and not a good way to start off my vacation).
- Classes are geared toward the less fit (most guests are middle aged housewives) so if you're looking for a real workout, you may be disappointed. With that said, the instructors are all very nice and knowledgable.
- There are three pools on premises, none of them spectacular. The one near the front entrance doesn't have much shade and it gets HOT in the sun in July. The smaller one next to the spa has some nice cabanas for shade. Then there is the 'aquabarn' that is a half lap pool where you can swim and table some aqua aerobics classes. There is no service by the pools (no one to open an umbrella, get you a towel, offer you some cold water, or get you a beer)- you're on your own.

FOOD:
- The place is all inclusive meaning all meals are paid for, which can be good or bad. They have calorie counts and fat grams beside each item and everything is really delicious, leaving you wondering "How the hell is this only 350 calories?" After a bit more thinking, I decided that it's because (1) the portions are quite small- hubby was still a bit hungry after his 3 course meal and (2) they compensate for less fat with more salt- note that sodium content is NOT on the menus. Either way, the food is pretty good and they are happy to give you 2 appetizers or even 2 entrees if you so desire. Room service is also available, but only at certain times so don't fall asleep and wake up like I did at 10pm hungry and without any options.
- They do have beer/wine on premises but no liquor. They don't offer you the wine menu anytime so you have to ask for it.

OVERALL:
- A great place to go if you want to relax and enjoy the hill country, but don't expect over-the-top luxury or service. It's a "rest and relax" kind of place. Just bring your bug spray!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Tiffany M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Hotel Granduca Austin
West Campus
Hotel Ella
Hotel Ella
#38 of 202 in Austin

Been to Lake Austin Spa Resort? Share your experiences!