“Noise polluted, seedy area”

Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #49 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I really liked Austin a lot, very cool, friendly people, in my top three favorite US cities.
This facility has constant noise from the interstate that it overlooks, I was on the side and still got a lot of noise.
On my second night, some kind of ska/reggae club blasted music until almost 3am just below my room.
On the third night there was some kind of accident on the interstate and emergency vehicles swarmed from miles, also at 3am
I barely slept my whole stay.
The sad thing is, I had a rental car, I could and should have commuted in each morning, especially since the mandatory valet parking is $28 per day.
The rooms are a bit stale, the remote control for my TV was nastily sticky
My room was adjoined to another room and there was a large gap at the bottom of the door with light shining in. Not very private.
I remember noticing that the light switches were filthy, especially in the bathroom. Years of grime build up.
I stopped for fuel across the street on my last night, which seemed to bring out the panhandlers, two different people asked me for money.
Will avoid the hotel and the section of town altogether in future.

Room Tip: West facing rooms only
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear MCLimey -

We apologize for the poor level of services and amenities that you were expecting during your stay. We are addressing the issues you mentioned with our staff. The next time you're in the area we hope you would consider staying with us again.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Recently had a meeting at this hotel in downtown Austin near the convention center. The staff are friendly and helpful. It was a good hotel, not great, but good. What would make it better would be the restaurant being improved. Has a fantastic view of the city and I love the breakfast buffet! The dinner is ok, but could be much improved. Service was great everywhere there. Our meeting room was good and the staff very helpful. My room overlooked some construction which started early and ended late. Nothing the hotel could do about that! I do recommend it for being near the music on 6th Avenue, within walking distance!

Room Tip: Anywhere high and away from the construction across the street!
1  Thank elainewny

Dear elainewny!

Thank you for your review and outstanding comments from your most recent stay with us. We appreicate your business and look forward to seeing you back soon!

Reviewed 16 January 2014

I stayed here for around 10 days for both business and a bit of down time. The location of the hotel is perfect, there are plenty of places to eat and or drink (Easy Tiger next to the hotel) and some nice sites to see around the city such as Congress. The rooms are standard specification to be honest, but were always clean and well serviced. The bed was also extremely comfortable.
Staff were exceptionally helpful as well as efficient both at the front of house and at breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear 1sUnderPressure,

We truly appreicate your excellent review from your most recent stay with us and thank you for your loyalty! Our team takes tremendous pride in providing superior hospitality and we look forward to your return. Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Stopped 6 nights on a business trip; location in downtown Austin excellent for restaurants and bars; staff really helpful and friendly and the food was great. Rooms clean and comfortable although looking just a little tired in places - nonetheless would recommend to others and will stop here again next time I'm in Austin.

Dear Andy W,

Thank you for your outstanding review and we look forward to seeing you return very soon! If there is ever anything that I can do to be of service, please let me know. Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Friendly/welcoming staff, reasonable rates (compared to the other downtown hotels), and a great buffet breakfast. Ideally located for access to all downtown amenities which are accessible on foot. If you plan to stay for more than 2-3 nights, ask for a room with an external window view - the internal aspect is rather dark.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Michele T, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear Ian S,

Thanks for taking the time to post your review about your stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center. It's always refreshing to hear when we have met and exceeded the expectations of our guests. We strive to provide a clean, friendly and safe environment for our guests. We look forward to being of service to you should your travels bring you back to the Austin area. If I can be of any assistance to you in the future, please feel free to call me directly.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

Quality of rooms, beds, & restaurant service is lacking for the price paid. Poor location next to busy interstate - loud rooms even 12 stories up. Valet parking, lack of self-parking, and keyed access elevators make for a poor experience. Overall, the hotel is antiquated & needs A LOT of updates before I would recommend or stay again.

1  Thank Paul Stirling M
Michele T, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear Paul Stirling M,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent experience with us. I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy a positive stay. We always try to do everything we can to ensure that our guests receive enhanced amenities and services while we keep our prices low. We appreciate your comments and will use them in an effort to better our hotel for the future.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

The water at this hotel was horrid. It smelled like sewage water and this in turn made all the linens stink. I was so glad to get home and take another shower to get the smell off. Also there is ONLY valet parking at this hotel. You are pretty much forced to pay their $28 a night and you can not access your car. Their valet team will for you but you yourself can not.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul H
Michele T, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2014

Dear Paul H,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent experience at the Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center. I am disappointed to learn that we did not meet your expectations. Reviews like yours are the one that help us to improve in areas where we have fallen short. I am sharing this with the other departments so we are able take the necessary corrective measures to ensure that no other guest has a similar experience.

Again, thank you for your review.

Assistant General Manager