“Great customer service and good location”

Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #46 of 203 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Montreal, QC, Canada
“Great customer service and good location”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was visiting Austin for work to organize an event. Staff here are really nice and courteous. It is literally 5 min walk from the other Hilton downtown, so if you have the choice, I would suggest this Hilton for the price difference. It is not like the typical Garden Inn, it is a full-service hotel. Breakfast is great (12$), anything you would like and free if you are a Hilton member (my colleague was Diamond). I was upgraded to a suite and this room was huge! I was not able to work the sauna bath whirlpool bath as it seemed dated - but the tub was huge. Internet is complimentary as well, and is available in the rooms. My group and I are returning to Austin at the end of July and we will be booking are rooms at this place instead of the Hilton down the street.

Location is right near 6th Ave and there are really nice restaurants near by. Actually everything is near downtown.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank poshmels
GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear poshmels!

We cannot thank you enough for your business and loyalty! We are thrilled to hear about your future visits and for recommending our hotel to so many others. Our staff takes tremendous pride about our service levels and we are here to ensure your stay is 100% satisfactory. Come back and see us soon and enjoy the City of Austin and your home away from home.

Blake Doran

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed here with friends in June 2014. The rooms were surprisingly large that had contemporary/updated furniture and bedding. The bathroom was small but the room was large, and had a flat screen TV. The bed was comfy and the location was great! We walked to dinner, 6th street and east of Congress without any problem. Free wifi but it seemed slow.

My room had a weird musty smell but my friends' room did not. I think it was a one-off situation. The breakfast buffet was excellent (and the coffee), and as other reviewers noted, the pool is a joke that is more like a hot tub with a waterfall. The biggest beef is the parking. There is no self parking, and overnight valet is $30. That's outrageous. I made a comment about this to a manager as I was checking in and his reaction was that it's the going rate for downtown Austin. So when you book your stay, remember to add $30 to it to get the "real" price of your room.

I'd stay here again if I had a good rate. Still fuming over that parking though.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank TallTexan75229
Dear TALLTEXAN75229,

Thank you for your review and we truly appreciate your business and wonderful comments about your experience! I sincerely apologize for the musty odor you encountered in your guest room and this will be addressed immediatly to ensure you and all future guest experience a wonderful welcome scent as you arrive. In regards to the parking, please check out our website for outstanding packages that include parking, breakfast adn more to save you money! We look forward to seeing you return soon and have a wonderful week!

bloomington, United States
Reviewed 14 June 2014

if you want to be treated like royalty this is the place to stay, everyone in the building from the room attendants to the guest services agents treat you like you are the only guest in the building which is really Impressive for a hotel of this type \. This is why I stay with hilton and I will surely come back again

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Amilcar V.

Thank you for your wonderful review and recommendations to so many others. The team and I look forward to serving you on your next trip to Austin. Have a wonderful week!

St. Louis
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I stayed here on a weekend trip to Austin with my husband. I have mixed feelings on the hotel.

Pros
The location is on the end of 6th Street, walking distance to a lot of great bars. It's about 4 blocks from Franklin's BBQ if you want to check it out.
The hotel was comfortable and clean.

Cons
The only parking was valet which at 30 a night I found to be a bit expensive.
The pool is not a pool. It's basically a wading pond. It's cute but like other reviewers said, it is tiny.
Halfway on our drive back home, my husband realized that we left our pillows in the room. We left a message on a machine with the hotel leaving our name and number, asking about the pillows. I called and I never heard back from the hotel. We later realized it wouldn't be worth it to have the pillows shipped, but I think it is telling that they did not respond to my message.

So overall, an ok experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ana_belle03
GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Ana_Belle03!

Thank you for selecting our hotel for your weekend get away and we truly appreicate your business! Our location is great for everyone and we do hope that you will give us another chance when you visit Austin next. Please check out our website for packages that include parking which will save you each and every time you visit downtown! I am so sorry about you not recieving a call back in regards to the pillows you left behind. Please contact me directly, so I may look into this immediately - 512-457-7900. I would love the opportunity to change your next stay from Just Okay, to Excellent!

Fort Stockton, United States
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I had a suite, that was not cleaned properly. There was an empty conditioner bottle on the side of the bathtub. The next day after the cleaning crew came, I had left a small hand towel near the location of the empty bottle and the towel was gone but the bottle was still there. There must have been a party in the other suite because at 10pm it became very loud with laughter and partying. It is next to the highway/interstate and the downtown area, there were sirens of emergency personnel during the night, waking me. At $300 night, not worth it!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

1 Thank Doug J
GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Doug J,

Thank you for your review and I sincerely apologize for the cleanliness mistake our team made by leaving the empty bottle of conditioner in your room prior to your arrival. I have personally addressed this with our entire Housekeeping team and can assure you that we are here to make a difference and take your feedback to heart and continue to improve our products and services for you and all future visits. Thank you again for sharing your experience and my team and I would love the opportunity to make this right and create an extraordinary experience on your next visit to Austin.

Always at your service,

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I stayed here May 15-18th. I was in Austin for my brother's graduation from University of Texas. This was my third trip to Austin but first stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown. I found my stay to be enjoyable and service from staff to be above average. The reasons I would say above average are that all staff I encountered at front desk were very friendly and helpful when asking questions and I was always greeted when coming and going from hotel. Also valets went above and beyond! I had asked them to call a cab to go to University and the when the cab had not arrived 10-15 min later the valet not only called the cab company again but the other valet went to the street to try and hail a cab from there. He wasn't successful but I greatly appreciated their efforts. I also found housekeeping to be very quick when I called for additional towels I received them to my room within 10 min.

Check-in was a breeze (our flights had been delayed and we did not arrive at hotel until 2am. We were the only people in lobby checking in but were still greeted friendly and assigned our room quickly. I had booked a room with double beds and received the correct room. My room was clean and comfortable. It was a pretty typical HGI room including desk, mini fridge and coffee maker. I saw but did no use the pool area. It was very nice with a waterfall. However it is not a large space at all and there are no lounge chairs. It does have a nice table with a few chairs.

This hotel location was a short, easy walk to 6th Street. It was also a short cab ride to the University of Texas.

Overall would recommend this hotel for anyone looking to stay in the downtown Austin area for work or pleasure.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Bethany K!

Thank you for your wonderful comments and we were thrilled to hear that you selecting our hotel for your stay as you have many choices to choose from in Austin, TX. We appreciate your business and loyalty and are looking forward to hosting your future stays when you travel to Austin. Our team is always at your service for anything you need at all!

Elizabeth, WV
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Great location to downtown and historic 6th St. Staff is very friendly and the hotel is clean, and I loved the decor. The pool area is awesome! For the price however, I would think WiFi would not just be available in the lobby but also in room without an extra charge. There was also no in room mini-fridge for personal use.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear ellenjellen!

Thank you for your wonderful feedback and excellent comments about our super clean and wonderful service provided to you. In regards to the WIFI - complimentary WIFI is also provided in our guest rooms and we have an extended feature that allows you to pay just $4.95 for additional bandwidth if you are needing faster service. All rooms are equiped with refrigerators for your personal items, located in the hospitality unit below your microwave. Thank you again for selecting our hotel for your visit and we all look forward to seeing you return soon!