“Very nice hotel, but some room for improvement."”

Four Seasons Hotel Austin
Ranked #8 of 202 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 April 2013

My wife and I needed a couple of nights away to celebrate our 20th Anniversary, without the time to travel afar, so we drove up I-35 to the Four Seasons.

Staff - The staff here is really very good and they are very well trained as we had the opportunity to observe. They were kind, courteous and attentive from the moment we arrived under the porte cochere to the time we left.

Trio - Upon arriving late, we hurried down to Trio to have a nice dinner. Mark, the sommelier is really super top notch, extremely knowledgeable, and, well, fun. Olivia, our server, was also just outstanding and the restaurant's ambience and furnishings are really nice. The food didn't quite live up to the rest, as our fish dish was decidely overcooked and the pork was very unevenly cooked. The presentation was very nice, but again, the food quality was not tops.

Lobby Bar - Loud. But very, very active if that's what you want. Live music was present both nights and it's a happening place. Bartenders and servers are very, very well trained. We watched as a new server shadowed an experienced server both nights, and it was intensive training.

Room - Our room was very nice, very clean and well appointed. It was nice and the only comment in the room would be that we couldn't get a thinner pillow, and their pillows are very big and very full. Also, we had requested a quiet room away from elevators, stairs, etc., and ended up across the hall from the ice machine and the housekeeping room (both of which have a formal door) and one door down from the elevator. The door to the housekeeping room is a normal looking room door (so normal it took us the full stay to figure it out), including a card key lockset. And it squeaked. Loudly. So, every time the staff came and went, which was a lot and beginning at about 8 am, it was a constant squeal/squeal/clunk. If you want to sleep in, well, don't bank on it.

Location - Perfect. That about says it all on that subject in our book.

So, nice place, but at $450/nt., we didn't see the real value.

Room Tip: Absolutely get a room as close to either end of the building (away from the ice machine and housekee...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Four Seasons Hotel Austin

Reviewed 1 April 2013

The Four Seasons Austin was amazing. The staff and overall hotel outlay made my trip extremely enjoyable. While I was there mainly for business I found the location easily accessible to Austin's night life.I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Both the river view and city views were amazing.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
fsaustin, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Austin, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2013

Dear Samuel,

Thank you for taking the time to share some feedback on your recent experience at Four Seasons Hotel Austin. Our staff takes great pride in ensuring that our guests feel welcomed and at home when on property so I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay. Whether for business or pleasure, I hope we’ll see you again soon.

Reviewed 1 April 2013

We booked the Four Seasons for a Mother Daughter Sorority get together. We did a block of 100 rooms on Friday and Saturday night. We held a Style Show in the Ballroom Friday night for 380 people. The Four Seasons did the whole event and it was fabulous. They were incredible. The event was fabulous. They were there to help us with anything we needed. I have stayed their
many times as a normal hotel guest and was treated the same. Whether it was a small group or a large group they will do anything you ask. Always where I stay in Austin. Location right on Town Lake is so worth the price you pay. No other hotel in Austin is in such a premier location.

Room Tip: Again the Lake is gorgeous and if they have any lake views available, it is so worth it.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
fsaustin, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Austin, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2013

Dear Cynthia,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience at Four Seasons Hotel Austin. I’m thrilled to hear the attention and service of our staff helped make your sorority style show a successful one. Whether for another Mother-Daughter event or a simple weekend getaway, I hope you’ll visit the hotel again soon!

Reviewed 29 March 2013

This is an older property that needs some serious updating. Classic four seasons decor but just old and outdated feeling. The phone on the wall of our bathroom looked like it was straight from the 80s. Our second day there they were cleaning carpets to the room next door to us and it reeked of a strong smelling chemical. On top of it, we asked for a quiet room, yet the staff kept opening and closing the doors and bumping into the walls making loud thuds during the process of that. Not relaxing at all or quiet. I understand they need to do maintenance; however it was quite disturbing when you are trying to nap off all the BBQ you just ate at the salt lick. The pool was small and needed to be cleaned badly. Lots of floating bugs. It was colder outside (low 70s) so maybe it got neglected since not as many people were using it; however, we did and it was a lackluster experience. Not one staff interaction while being down there, which is a problem. The lobby seating was overrun with families with small children. We wanted to get a drink but the bar was tiny and full. We ended up going downstairs to trio since we didn't want to be around loud children and couldn't get a seat at the bar. That was fine, but I would have preferred another option in the hotel.

I love four seasons and have had great experiences yet this property wasn't stellar like other four seasons I've been to. The staff didn't get to know us or greet us by name. It was just blah.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Lauren S
fsaustin, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Austin, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2013

Dear lolofosh0sh0,
Thank you for sharing a few details about your recent experience at Four Seasons Hotel Austin. I appreciate your feedback on the property and am pleased to advise you that we are currently in the design phases of a refresh that's anticipated to break ground this summer.

I was truly disappointed, however, to hear that our service was not up to par with your expectations as we pride ourselves on our staff and the personalized attention they provide. In particular, recognizing and getting to know our guests by name is something we usually excel at, so I will be following up personally to ensure this detail is given the importance it deserves going forward.

I would love the opportunity to welcome you back for a better experience based on your feedback. Please feel free to contact me directly if I may be of assistance now or in the future.

Reviewed 28 March 2013

The Four Seasons Austin is a fabulous hotel in a great location! I stay a minimum of twice a month, both for business and personal reasons. The staff is like family: from Sales Manager Marlon Davis to the guys out front like George, Brian, Marcus, Eric, Jonathan and all the others who greet you with a great big Texas "welcome back" to Tommy, the concierge, and Chris, the bartender in the lobby lounge, who makes the absolute best Cosmopolitan! The rooms are elegant and inviting and wonderful to come "home" to at the end of the day. And, the food . . . Yum! Four Season Austin is the best!

Room Tip: Try to get a lake-view room with balcony and soak in the scenery . . . You'll feel just like you...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
fsaustin, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Austin, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2013

Dear SAJ2013,
Thank you for the great comments and for taking the time to list the employees who've helped make your visits with us even more special. I love hearing that feedback and will be sure to thank each of them personally for providing such excellent customer service. We look forward to welcoming you back "home" again soon!

Reviewed 26 March 2013

When you book Four Seasons you expect certain things: marble tiled bathroom, elegant furniture, grand hotel foyer, etc. This is a very nice hotel - but was clearly owned by a different property before, it is NOT Four Seasons. The service IS what you expect from the Four Seasons, attentive, extremely kind, extra touches. But the rooms are disappointing, not beautiful like I'd hoped. I do give them HUGE points for the extra touches for my baby: baby products, all the outlets were child-proofed, nice crib, and an adorable stuffed longhorn that he loved. I would stay here again IF it were about half the price. Nowhere near worth $700 per night.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank bunnymoon

Dear bunnymoon,
I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent visit to Four Seasons Hotel Austin, especially your kind comments about our service and the child-friendly touches in your room.
I was, however, disappointed to hear you did not feel the price you paid was reflective of the value received. We frequently research other hotel experiences - and pricing - in Austin and based on this information we are confident our pricing is competitive. That said, I will share that our rates fluctuate based on demand, meaning you might see rates that are half of what you paid last time for future visits. I would encourage you to visit our website to see our latest offers and promotions.
Thank you again for your feedback, bunnymoon. I sincerely hope you will consider visiting us again so that we can show you more of the distinctions that provide value to our guests.

Reviewed 25 March 2013

My perception of a Four Seasons Hotel is a place of consistent excellence. Unfortunately, the reality did not live up to this expectation. The location, right on the river, is excellent. The property, in my opinion, does not live up to the Four Seasons' reputation. The Plaza in New York and the Bellagio in Las Vegas far outshine this hotel in both construction and operational excellence.. Further, while the staff is well-trained, every now and then I got the impression some were just going through the motions. For the price, I expected better.

Room Tip: River view room is best
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sommersboy
fsaustin, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Austin, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2013

Dear sommersboy,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Four Seasons Hotel Austin. As you note in your review, we aim to provide our guests with consistent excellence in both service and product so I was very sorry to hear we didn't meet your expectations in either area.

I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly so that we can hear your specific concerns and address them accordingly. Our hope is that such feedback will help us welcome you back in the future with the high level of service and product you've come to expect from Four Seasons.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

(512) 685-8035