“Exemplary Service” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Exemplary Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2008

From the moment I exited the taxi and was greeted by no less than 5 hotel staff members, I knew this stay would be just what I needed to unwind from the week. Every staff member I encountered, from the front desk personnel to the hotel maid to the servers at Trio, were gracious, professional, and friendly. The hotel is beautiful and the grounds are gorgeous - lots of vivid green grass and trees - and when you sit on the Trio Terrace and overlook the lake, you forget you're in a city and feel like you are at a secluded resort in the woods. The pool, although small, was a refreshing retreat from the heat and I like how you have to walk a path amongst the trees to get to the pool rather than being in a concrete patio directly off the hotel. The weight room was decent but too small for this property. It was crowded both days I worked out and people were bumping into each other. As for the room, it was pleasant but the only thing special was the beautiful view - try to get a room facing the lake. The bed was comfortable and I would stay here again, but don't expect an over-the-top luxurious room - think more similar to a nice Westin room. I did notice the walls were particularly thin - I could hear conversations in the hall and from the room next door. Everything was nice and although the room was fine, I expected a little more from a Four Seasons room, so for this reason I'm only giving the hotel 4* but really it's more like 4.75 and I look forward to returning.

• Liked — The service and ambiance
  • Disliked — Thin walls
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank patrickstpaul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2008

The service is very good, which I would expect from a FS property. The good news is that the grounds are very nice, the valet is very quick, the service is all around very prompt. However, we did have to ask for extra towels more than once and asked for extra toilettries and never recieved. The breakfast is great, room service food good as well. The bad news is that they really need to revamp the rooms. They need new fixtures, bigger guest rooms, an all-around facelift! I concur with other guests that there is a definite musty odor in the hotel.

With the new residences going in, I think they really need to invest in upgrading the entire property. I hope this is their plan.

When I go to Austin, I will stay there again for sure. I am hoping for an upgrade, and I will note that I prefer the Four Seasons over the Driskill.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Outdated
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
San Antonio, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2008

My husband and I just returned from a long weekend at the Four Seasons Austin. I share BustTravelerDallas' sentiments exactly. The lakeside location within walking distance of Austin's downtown attractions (restaurants, nightlife, the Capitol) may be the best in town. In looking for nice accomodations downtown, few hotels even had outdoor pools! Also, the Four Seasons name was a reassurance to us.
Unfortunately, this hotel does not live up to the brand's reputation. The prices were well-above the impressive Four Season Houston and other locations, while the facilities were disappointing. The pool area was small and crowded, and rather outdated. We enjoyed the restaurant, but found the service a bit haughty and condescending, and other equally-impressive dining options are within walking distance of the hotel. I rated this a 4 simply because it is probably the nicest hotel property in downtown Austin. The back lawn and lakeside trail are picturesque, and the spa is likely one of the most comprehensive among the downtown hotels. The service was generous, in true Four Seasons fashion.
If we return to Austin, we would stay here again (for the location), but would much prefer to visit other Four Seasons destinations.

• Liked — The location and service
  • Disliked — Older facilities and lacking pool scene
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank abbyabigail85
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2008

I stayed with my husband and two children, ages 5 and 2 1/2. We booked a Lake View Suite which was incredibly expensive and expected a very elaborate room -- what we got was a very ordinary, no frills room, that was kind of small. I was absolutely sick to my stomach about the money we spent on this room thinking it was going to be luxurious (which it should have been for that price). That being said, everything else from the service to the amenities to the location was top notch. Absolutely fantastic -- we were all treated like celebrities! My recommendation would be to book a regular room at the hotel -- don't bother with a suite, it is definitely not worth the high price. And it was disappointing for a Four Seasons room. Next time we come to Austin, we probably stay at Barton springs resort which looks much nicer. Excellent stay -- but very very very disappointing room.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — room
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
Dallas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2008

We stayed at the Four Seasons-Austin over Memorial Day Weekend. The service (front desk, housekeeping, room service, pool service and concierge) was Four Seasons-quality all the way. The location is really great (close to downtown, the capital and the UT campus) and the lake/river view is quite nice.

However, for those of us fortunate enough to frequent Four Seasons properties, the facility itself does not measure up and is disappointing. In an absolute sense the hotel is well above average (probably 4 out of 5). Nonetheless, this property carries both the FS name and price tag, so I rate it a 3 out of 5 on that basis and frankly I’m being generous.

There is a musty smell throughout the hotel. The rooms, and the bathrooms in particular, are very small and the décor and furnishings are ordinary at best, tired at worst; in neither case would any of it be up to Four Seasons standards. The pool is small, the elevators are old and slow and the AC in the rooms struggle to keep up. There is no chance that FS actually built this; it must have been something else originally. We’ve stayed at many Four Seasons properties, resorts as well as urban locations. This is the most disappointing property we have visited and it is really not worth the premium they charge. As noted in other reviews, there is a major construction project (Four Seasons Residences) on the Northeast corner of the property. There was no activity over the holiday weekend, but we can imagine that rooms on the city view side will get significant noise during the week. Also, be ready for $25 per day for valet parking and $11 per day for internet access (the Ethernet connection did not work in our room, so we had to rely on Wi-Fi, which did work well but if you need Ethernet speed, beware). We had a $150 credit as part of our package so we did eat dinner in the restaurant. The food was fine but with so many great spots in Austin (many within an easy walk of the hotel), I would have preferred to pay less for the room and eat out. If you pay up for the River view, insist on a higher room (6th floor or above), lest the power lines intrude on your view of the river. We were on the 7th floor and it was fine.

Bottom line: We will not return to this property, which is something we can’t say about any other FS location we have visited.

• Stayed May 2008
1 Thank businesstravelerdfw
Houston, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2008

My husband and I stayed here in May for a friend's wedding at the property. We were simply blown away by this hotel, in particular the excellent service. We called in advance to alert the hotel that we were a late check-in, for which they thanked us. When we finally arrived, check-in was quick and hassle-free. We had a lake-view room which was beautiful. The room was very clean, and well-appointed. The bed and sheets were very comfortable and elegant. There was a great flat-screen TV, and the bathroom was fully stocked with L'Occitane bath products, and tons of fluffy towels. You are given a choice of several newspapers to be delivered to your room complimentary in the morning, including the New York Times. The restaurant downstairs was lovely for breakfast and lunch - both the buffet and a la carte menus were great, and there were several "healthy" choices available. Seating on the patio is really beautiful, with a view of the lake, and if it is chilly, there are heat lamps. All the staff really go out of their way to make you feel comfortable, and offer to accommodate any special requests you might have. There is a great biking/running/walking trail directly off the back of the hotel, that goes all along the lake. Fitness center was modern and well-equipped with personal TV's for each cardio machine. The pool area is a little small considering how popular it is, but is incredibly comfortable. The staff there is wonderful - taking drink and food orders, coming around with complimentary ice waters, and setting up the comfy chaise lounges with clean terry covers and fresh towels. The property is very beautiful and relaxing - there are several "nooks" around the lawn with comfy chairs or hammocks to curl up in and read, relax or daydream. The customer service continued even on our departure, with our valet escorting us into our car with bottles of water for the drive home. This really felt like a true "resort", and you feel very pampered staying here. We would definitely come back for a weekend getaway.

• Liked — The customer service, the natural setting, the pool
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank natbel
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2008

The hotel is in a great location, right on Town Lake within good walking distance to downtown, with shops and restaurants. The service was perfect from check-in, to the bar, restaurant and Concierge... just what you would expect from a Four Seasons..

That being said, the rooms could stand to be upgraded.. as one of my travel companions stated.. "it reminds me of Investment Banker circa 1990's".

All in all, it was a great experience though.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Room decr
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with friends