“Paid for the upgrade - got a tiny room with a tinier bathroom” 3 of 5 bubbles

Four Seasons Hotel Austin
Ranked #10 of 197 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
fort worth
“Paid for the upgrade - got a tiny room with a tinier bathroom”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2009

Hello Fellow Travellers -

My family and I recently stayed with the Four Seasons in Austin, TX and we were less then thrilled. I was warned that the decorating needed a redo but didn't think much of it until I arrived in my room. We paid for the upgrade, the "More Package", gives you a $100 credit at the spa or Trio, the restaurant.
The room was really small and the bathroom was so small the door actually hit the sink when you opened it. There was no seperate shower and bathtub it was an all in one.
It was a game weekend and not all of us went to UT we actually wanted to watch our football games but once the UT game was over the TV was wheeled out of the lobby...
SO, we went to the Radisson next door to watch the Notre Dame and U of Iowa games.

I had always had good experiences with the Four Seasons. For example, Whistler was beautiful!! We stayed with FS in Maui, wonderful! We also stayed with the FS in Exuma last year. It's no longer open I heard...
Anyway, I hate to be negative but I would never stay here again. You're better off at the new Hilton for the price.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
tsegesta, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Austin, responded to this review, 6 October 2009
Thank you for providing feedback relating to your family's recent stay at the Four Seasons Hotel Austin. We re-invest in the hotel through our capital program every year and are thankful that our guests are interested in helping us focus on areas for improvement. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.
Tom Segesta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2009

I love FS and I always stay there when possible. Their attention to details is unbelievable and they really make you feel at home.

I recommend the berry Mojito by the pool on a hot TX day.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2009

Business traveler (50% of my working days). I have become an unfair hotel snob. I hope the management of the Four Seasons read this periodically, as I will vent my frustrations in order of priority:

1. Glass shower door must extend wall-to-wall. I learned that every hotel room on this property had these shower door/walls that were only 2/3 of the length of the tub. This causes two problems: a lake on the floor of the bathroom.... AND... a shower experience that sucks to begin with.

2. Update AC outlet receptacles (plugs). This is so cheap and easy to do. I don't enjoy looking at mildew when plugging in my iron.

3. There should be a place where the hotel music volume is low, for business meetings, interviews, etc in a common area.

Overall, the staff was off the charts. The property was beautiful and I do believe this is the finest hotel in Austin. I am just pointing out my own "pet peeves." Thanks!

Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Brint1212
tsegesta, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Austin, responded to this review, 4 August 2009
Thank you for the feedback about the things you'd like us to address. We always appreciate hearing form our guests and understand the importance of responding quickly to their concerns. Our Engineering Department has addressed the issues that were mentioned. We are more than happy to speak with guests directly about concerns or questions they may have so feel free to contact us. The staff was excited to learn you were so pleased with the service they offered, and look forward to welcoming you back.
Houston, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2009

I have stayed at this hotel at least 6 times in the past 8 years. I come here for a large conference and usually have my husband and son come up and meet me, and we make a weekend of it. I am planning to go back for a girls' weekend in a couple of weeks, so I was checking out the reviews. I have to say that people who complain about the rooms not being luxurious enough must stay at hotels that have gilded bathtubs and silk sheets. I don't know how you could get much more luxurious than some of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in, L'Occitane bath products, plush robes and towels, and evening turndown service, where they put a napkin on the floor next to your bed, so you don't get into bed with even slightly dusty feet (the carpets are pretty emaculate, so I'm not sure how you would have dusty feet). The last time I arrived for the conference, I received a plate of small desserts and a personal note welcoming me to the conference and back to the hotel. I'm not sure whether that was because I was a speaker or because I'd been there several times and booked a suite the last few times.

What makes this hotel so special for me is the incredible feeling that you are actually a valued GUEST at the hotel. So many hotels treat their guests like cattle or just customers, but here, you feel like a special guest, especially when you return many times. Everyone who works here (with a few exceptions over the years) has bent over backward to accommodate our needs and make us feel welcome. The special touches they provide for little children, such as age-appropriate toys, treats, access to a reliable, safe, babysitting service, and just treating my child with respect, are some of the best things. They don't treat the adults too badly either. I am surprised by the reviews where people say the staff has been snooty. Perhaps a little projection of those people's insecurities may be going on. Even just observing how the staff treats other people, I have never seen them treat anyone with less than respect, no matter how they were dressed or acted.

I have only had about 2 minor complaints about this hotel over my 6 stays (each averaging 4 nights) - one time, the security manager was a bit rude to us when the key to our room didn't work when we were coming back from the pool. He treated us like intruders. That is a very minor complaint because I guess I would want him to treat someone trying to get into a room with a key that didn't work like an intruder, but even after he checked our IDs, he was still a bit surly. The other minor complaint was that occasionally, the pool-side servers were a bit overwhelmed and drink and food orders took way too long. During busy times, the hotel should put on extra staff at the pool to really give the full Four Seasons resort exprience. Other than those times, we have always had the most relaxing, delightful stays at this hotel. When we leave, my young son even says "Mommy, I want to go back to the Four Seasons!" We will keep coming back year after year, as long as we can afford it!

• Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
Falls Church, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2009

I stayed in this hotel during a business conference and it was worth what I paid and was a solid good experience. The hotel is an older property, but I felt it was was clean, comfortable and the furnishings updated. Housekeeping did an excellent job and room service was prompt and the food good quality. The hotel is relatively small but inviting and the staff courteous. I used the spa twice for services and that was a good experience. I also attended a business reception and dinner in the hotel and the service and quality of food very good. I would definitely stay in this hotel again and possibly extend my stay for at least an afternoon to take advantage of the lounge and outdoor areas which looked inviting.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2009

Walking into the property, I said to my husband, "Oh, wow, there must be a pool or something near the lobby." But no. The lobby just smelled dank and vaguely musty. The lobby decor, even decorated for the holidays, was blah. Checkin was equally lackluster, with not a spark or warmth or personal attention.

And the room was not any better. While the Lakeview room would have been fine for a Holiday Inn, it was disappointing for a Four Seasons property--a little dreary and a little threadbare, with a bath that was less impressive than many business-class hotels.

But the worst part was the noise. Although I had specifically asked for a quiet room, we were near an elevator, and the people hooting and hollering of drunk people coming back to their rooms after midnight kept me up. And then rowdy children woke me up in the morning.

I asked to be moved, and after some hassle and being transferred and not receiving calls back and the like, finally was moved (this took about two hours). As I sat in my new room, about to eat breakfast (they had at least figured out how to transfer room service), I heard tiny screams from the room next door. I was not at all inclined to deal with that, so I moved to a junior suite at the end of a hall, with a view of the parking lot. This was a vast improvement in quiet--I heard not a peep for the remainder of our stay--but it is ridiculous that I should have to pay for a (bland, uninspired) suite I had no intention of spending any time in just so I could sleep decently.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — NOISE
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kateastrophe
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2008

When booking this hotel, I had high expectations of the service and low expectations of the room based on the reviews here.

What I experienced was a mediocre everything, so I was happy with my room and disappointed with the service.

Starting with the positive, the room was fine and I was surprised to read the complaints. The room and bathroom are both small, but that was what I expected from a standard room. The bed was comfortable, and the provided furnishing of a desk with chairs and a chair with ottoman were nice. I decor was perfectly fine, and I really wonder what they could have done in the room that would have impressed me. I was perfectly happy with the room.

There was noise from the hallway. The room was right across from the ice maker, and turn down service runs between 7 and 8 pm it seems which we were in the room for one night, and could hear the ice maker and the maids chit chatting away. It wasn't ever really a problem, since no one stood in the hallway and held a conversation for more than a couple of minutes.

Our room as a lake view balcony, and if you enjoy views, this is worth the upgrade. I think I paid $25 or $50 more for the balcony lake view, and it was beautiful and well worth it. The Four Seasons sits on the perfect spot on the lake, so that looking out you think you might be in the middle of a park, not in downtown Austin.

The service is what I was really disappointed with. We interacted with the doormen, valet, reception and dining.

One of the doorman that we dealt with was exactly what you would expect at the Four Seasons. He was friendly, recognized when we had just run down the block and back for a starbucks, got the door and offered helpful extra assistance. The other doorman was the opposite. We came down to pick up the car, he grabbed the keys from the valet stand, since there was no valet present, and then walked from the valet to another car with his arm outstretched for me to fetch my keys from. Since he never looked my way, he didn't notice the tip in my hand for him, and was walking the other way with me standing with a tip in one hand a keys in another. I was dumbfounded. As I was getting into my car, I heard him yell in my direction, "Have a good day sir."

When you arrive at the hotel with your car, they let you know that if you call 5 minutes in advance, they will have your car waiting for you. After that experience, I stopped calling in advance, since I would rather wait and deal with an engaged 18yo valet, then a disengaged professional doorman.

First, let me warn you that if you plan on taking a car in and out of the Four Seasons, the valet was always busy, and in the evening, it was VERY busy. I am a guest in the hotel, and this was always very difficult to convey to the valet. I do not believe that I fit the profile of a guest, but more of someone out for drinks, since I drive a 25k car and am in my early 30s, not a 70k+ car and older then the state of Texas. After stating, "I am staying at the hotel, the valet ticket is in the car" twice, the valet welcomed me back and took off with my car. In the evenings it was hectic, so I with that FS would come up with a better way of identifying guest cars, so the process wasn't so cumbersome, but it certainly wasn't horrible.

Reception was fine, but nothing spectacular. She was professional and nothing more. This was the first indication that the Four Seasons was going to be less than expected. I really expected that since the valet just got my name, then reception would be expecting me. Three instances this has happened to me before, and twice was because the valet alerted reception that I have arrived. This kind of service is what separates out 5-star hotels from everyone else.

Dining was a mixed bag. At check in we were offered a free glass of wine for each of us if we dined at TRIO, Four Seasons on site restaurant. We tried TRIO for lunch, whipped out our free drinks card, and ordered two glasses of wine, specifying the variety. A simple misunderstanding, they actually only offer a specific white and a specific red for the free glass, and my wife choose correctly. A new waiter brought out her glass and a bottle of something I didn't order to taste. It was left to me to figure out that whole free wine nonsense, while our waiter ducked out. The new waiter was great, the wine that was free was fine and it went with the lamb that I was having great. But what happened to our original waiter, and why was there no explanation of the wine issue?

The food at TRIO was good, but not spectacular. The menu and preparation is solid but nothing more.

We stayed here because my wife wanted to stay specifically at the Four Seasons and I wanted to stay somewhere downtown. Since those to desires overlapped, we stayed at the Four Seasons, but on future visits we will likely stay somewhere else.

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — The Service
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank qbrain