“A Cut Above the Rest”

AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center
Ranked #25 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I stayed at the AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center in Austin Texas for three days/nights in mid-March for a conference. It was one of the best hotels stays I have ever experienced for the following reasons:
- Exceptionally warm and helpful staff.
- Lovely rooms with excellent amenities.
- Great food (at the breakfast buffet and lunch from the cafe).
- Perfect location for a first time visitor in a very walk-able section of the city.
- Gorgeous conference facility that was clean and modern.

Things I would change:
-The bed was big but not very comfortable. But too firm hotel beds are kind of a universal thing, so I'm not docking points.
-The A/C was very loud and kept me awake. If you are a light sleeper, pack earplugs.
- More non-animal based options at breakfast. Lots of eggs but not enough fruit.

Still, I loved my stay here. I highly recommend it if it's in your budget.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 22 March 2014

I attend an annual conference at this hotel and it's always a great experience. Conference room rates are reasonable, rooms are clean, wireless Internet is fast, local and national papers delivered to room, delicious breakfast provided free of charge, good customer service, convenient location, beautiful courtyard.

I wish their non-conference rates were cheaper. It would also be nice if they had an airport shuttle.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Very friendly staff, clean large rooms, convenient location especially for the university of Texas visitors,
Food and drinks at Gabriel's are of good value, I recommend trying their burgers and salads.
R

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 March 2014

loved staying here.
It was clean, well located and the restaurant was very good!
I walked to the LBJ Presidential library just across the Texas University campus.
Convenient to route #35 so everything was easily accessible including downtown.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I attended a conference at the AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center and stayed for two nights at the hotel. I have stayed before, so it is impossible to not make comparisons.

Parking is for a fee, but there were plenty of available spaces. The front desk clerks were very pleasant, knowledgeable, and made me feel welcome.

I had a king bed room on the seventh floor with a great view of the tower. My room was spotlessly clean, quiet, and the bed was comfortable. The room was spacious, but the lighting was pretty sad. I turned on every light and it was still dim. I think maybe higher wattage energy-efficient light bulbs might have helped. And I could not get my shower water hot. It was only moderately warm even at full hot. I have no idea what that was all about.

I am amazed that today’s hotels don’t have electrical outlets next to the bed since so many travelers use their phones as alarm clocks. There I was… staying in an AT&T hotel and I couldn’t even charge my AT&T service phone while I slept! Seriously, lower priced hotels have bedside lamps with electrical outlets in the base so I can’t figure out why this isn’t standard in all hotels. There is one easily accessible double outlet near the work desk. Speaking of work desks, you will not have a problem with slow internet at this property. It was awesomely fast.

Last time I stayed in the hotel I really enjoyed my meal at Gabriel’s, this time not as much – mainly because it seemed to take forever to get the food out to our group. The server was quite pleasant, though and the bartender was on top of things even when it got busy later in the evening.

The conference center is an excellent facility, and the breakout refreshments provided for our group were certainly abundant. Our banquet meal was very good, too.

Over all, the positives outweigh the negatives. It’s a nice property in a good location.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I stayed here because of the access to campus and I was at a conference at the hotel. I think it is very lovely with a professional setting. I love the access to downtown Austin, as well.

I agree with much that Jeff3545 says. The Internet IS wickedly fast - I didn't think about it until I read his review after my stay. I had to be on my remote desktop for a good amount of my stay and there were NO issues with the Internet.

The mattress was comfortable but the sheets were very itchy. And Jeff 3545 is correct about the noise from adjoining rooms. It is scary that I could hear so much and it made my very uncomfortable. However, I loved the street noise - I was on the south side of the hotel facing MLK - and I loved the sun light with the southern exposure since I was stuck in my room with client issues for an entire morning.

I loved the robes that were provided. The bathroom was fine. I like the sink outside of the main bath. The room service breakfast was VERY good. My decaf stayed warm all morning and my granola and yogurt was so generous it lasted all morning (dang clients.)

I broke my mobile phone and had to use the land line phone for a number of client calls. I was outraged at what I was charged at the end of my stay but the manager of the hotel fixed the problem to my satisfaction with a few email conversations. He wasn't afraid to discuss the issue and probably managed me in a way to get more commentary, which I appreciated. I have to say I feel very welcome at this hotel and feel that if I needed for anything, I would be taken care of.

And again, as a UT alum, I love staying on campus and being able to wander into downtown. It is a magical location right in the center of Austin. You just can't beat it.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-adjoining room. If you like sun and street action, ask for a room facing MLK.