“An Austinite's Perspective”

Ranked #21 of 199 Hotels in Austin
Austin, Texas
“An Austinite's Perspective”
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

We live in Austin but are temporarily living out of town while we build a house, hence the reason for our stay.

I 'named my own price' for downtown Austin and we ended up staying here for our bid.

If you like the college scene and don't care if your not on the 'weird' side of things in ATX then, by all means, stay here.

The room was decent, we didn't hear our neighbors and we had a fantastic view from the 7th floor of the UT Tower. We had an issue with our tv that was fixed promptly by the technician on duty. The balcony is 'standing room' only and the shower made an awful, whirring noise but that's really my only room complaint aside from the daily parking fee. I really, really hate paying parking or resort fees!

The hotel staff were friendly and the valet/concierge easily answered my questions.

The location is lacking though unless you are attending a UT function of some sort. I would have rather been on the south end of DT. That's where the action is at, in my opinion. Better restaurants, closer to the lake and better shopping in SOCO. I wouldn't choose this hotel for friends or family visiting the city as there are better choices closer to all of the things we love most about Austin.

• Stayed June 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at AT&T for a third year in a row for a conference. I called over a month and a half in advance, and thought I had booked three nights. I checked my email confirmation the week before the conference and noticed only two nights were listed. I called and reached a person only after being sent to two voicemails and my call being dropped once. The lady told me they indeed had several rooms, and in different categories available that night, but they refused to honor the conference rate even though I explained that I thought I had requested it for three nights. Not only would I have to move to a different room, but I would have to pay almost $100 more for that night. I called the Hampton Inn and would have gladly walked the few blocks, but they were full. The lady knew I had no choice if I wanted to attend that conference day. It's a shame that this beautiful hotel has that type of customer service. I'm sure I will attend the conference again in years to come. I will stay at the Hampton and walk or take the shuttle, whatever I have to do to avoid this hassle and cost again. Shame shame.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank melimo1017
Helotes, Texas
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel with about 15 diffrent family memebers a total of 10 rooms this by far is one of the worst hotels I have stayed at. Room service was a joke. The restaurants down stairs were poor at best. The only people that know what is going on is the valet. I will never stay there again nor would I recommend it to anyone drive 5 more miles down the road to 12 other hotels that are better.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Icehouse86
Honolulu
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This is the second time staying here. The staff is friendly and the rooms are clean. The conference rooms are up to date. However parking is $18 a day for hotel guest. The gym is sort of small, but if you go the right time then it's not a problem.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Texas
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed at the At&T conference center hotel in Austin over a portion of the Memorial Day weekend.It was great. I have stayed there in the past but had no idea that on the 6th floor there is a balcony that runs the length of the hotel. It is great to sit out and have a glass of wine and look out over the capital building. The staff is super nice and helpful and the on site restaurant is really good.

Room Tip: Book your room on the 6th floor and enjoy that balcony that runs the entire length of the hotel. Or...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jdgvjm
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My wife and I stayed two nights in a King Tower View room over Memorial Day weekend. I had heard good things about this hotel, but had never stayed before. Check-in was a breeze and the customer service - from the front desk to the cafe waiter - were all top notch. The location is perfect for a stroll around the University of Texas at Austin or anywhere downtown for that matter. The hotel is very new, has great amenities and is very clean. Hotel guests seem to be mostly couples of all ages - not too many kids on property. Restaurants looked good, but there are too many other Austin old-time favorites that we never ate on property. We will definitely be staying here again for weekend trips to Austin. Parking for $18 under the hotel is reasonable, but it would be nice if that were included in the room rate.

Room Tip: Tower rooms provide a great, unobstructed view of the UT tower (especially at night)
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The hotel was were I had my conference at, the check in was very speedy, people are friendly, the hotel is very nice from inside. The rooms are spacious. Someone mentioned that the beds were not comfortable I am not sure why, but I found them very comfy. The restaurant that is downstairs we went for dinner, it wasnt great at all, not sure what all the hype is about, they give you a leaf and then they charge you an arm and a leg. So I wasnt really happy with the restaurant. You have free wifi, but if you have a car, you will have to pay for parking. Overall I recommend this hotel, and its a walking distance from the capital, sixth street, the natural museum and other attractions!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business