“Modern home away from home” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Kimber Modern Hotel
Ranked #2 of 36 Austin B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Modern home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

I loved the unconventional feel of this place. It was both modern and cozy at the same time - a difficult balance to achieve. There is no front desk or registration. You enter the property and your room with a code that you yourself create - no keys. There is a common area - both outdoor and indoor - where you can surf the web, eat, drink, hang out. It's a really great place to feel relaxed. Plus, the SoCo district it's in is a hip hang out and nice place to stay outside of downtown.

One down side - the bed was way too soft and I had a backache. We had a rollaway bed too - that was a tad more comfortable, but it kind of felt like a waterbed.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank atlanta14
KimberModern, Manager at Kimber Modern Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and thanks for taking the time to post your review. I am sorry you felt the bed was too soft. Usually guest love our mattresses to the point of requesting info so that they can purchase one. I agree that modern and cozy are sometimes hard to blend. Thanks for noticing we did it well!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

Stayed two evenings at the Kimber Modern in Austin, TX. I am a big fan and will return. Superbly designed and well executed small hotel. It feels even more like a home if home were a well designed and well stocked grouping of modern building which combine the feeling of privacy and comfort just steps from the best blocks to enjoy South Congress dining and street life.

Management was super helpful and welcoming and literally no detail was overlooked. The common room was stocked at breakfast with just the right mix of good and healthy options. And the rooms were stocked with all the right essentials for a comfortable stay. Well designed, well executed and well maintained and displayed. Places like good are exceptionally rare and it was a delight to discover and experience. I look forward to being back. Hopefully often.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Robert H
KimberModern, Manager at Kimber Modern Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Thanks so much for the awesome review! I will pass kudos on to the rest of our crew. Please think of us again when your travel plans bring you to Austin....Carrie
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

We spent this weekend in Austin for a family reunion. We all stayed at Kimber Modern and it is the perfect venue. Our five suites surrounded a beautiful tree filled courtyard where we could gather for drinks and conversation. The rooms, while not huge, are impeccable and the breakfast and happy hour spreads in the common room are delightful. If you want a unique trip to Austin, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank pjsokal
KimberModern, Owner at Kimber Modern Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2013
Great to have all of you at the hotel and thanks for staying with us a second time. Best always,
Kimber
Spring Branch, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

Ok, to be forthright there are quite a few really nice places to stay in Austin Texas.
I for one like to expect more. So, I seek from the crowd those few place that quench my sensibility and my scale for comfort and of course those that have exceptional service. Not forgetting points for style, ambiance and memory-making qualities, Kimber Modern Hotel fits into all of these "must have categories".
I like the keyless entry to not just my room but the hotel's main entrance as well.
It's so easy. I made an online reservation, paying a modest sum, a lesser sum than most upscale boutique hotels charge these days and upon arrival I must say, I fell into instant relaxation.
The staff is invisible, until you need something and then, there they are! It's akin to having a butler, silent but attentive, your very own Mr Carson or Mrs Hughes that know what you need even before you know.
Everything from good, branded beer and wine and snacks at happy hour, to a breakfast of handmade scones, expresso, a large variety of freshly pealed fresh fruit, granola and yogurt and much more, all inclusive of the room rate.
If at 2AM, after escaping the thrill of SOCO AUSTIN, you find there is still beer or a bit of wine left in the common area fridge, help yourself. Same with the expresso and tea or dig into a basket ball size bowl of M&M's, etc.
The rooms are the best part of the stay at Kimber Modern Hotel. They are so comfortable, large and styled to modern perfection. Perfectly comfortable beds, good linens, with "you are asleep the moment your head hits the pillow" pillows.
Floor to ceiling windows offer a bright scattering of natural light during the day or if preferred, for those mornings made to sleep in, drawing the drape cloaks the light to protect your privacy.
This hotel, with its innovative model of management and its sumptuous architecture, seduces every one of your five senses, starting from the moment you round The Circle and catch your first glimpse.
Yes, without doubt, I positively recommend this oasis, located just a stone's throw south from the heart of my favorite city in all the world.
Oh, I hate AC noise in hotel rooms. My room at Kimber Modern had a great AC unit that makes absolutely no AC noise. A first for me and I hope all that read my review have an opportunity to enjoy the same thrill.

Sid

Room Tip: I asked for a tour of the rooms... all are good rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
kvkAustinTx, Owner at Kimber Modern Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2013
Dear Sid,
Well I'm going to hire you to write the copy for our next hotel website. I am beyond thrilled you enjoyed your stay at the Kimber Modern. We built this place for folks just like you; people who appreciate the details and are tired of being nickled and dimed. Thank you so much for writing such an amazing review; you made my entire year!!! I was having a rough day and now I'm sky high!!
Best always,
Kimber
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

Walking distance to many locations you would want to see while visiting Austin. Amazing service, breakfast and afternoon happy hour are a real treat and make you feel like home. Nice cozy patio. Friendly staff, you get everything you need and yet you don't see many people around. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
kvkAustinTx, Manager at Kimber Modern Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2013
So happy you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to your return visit!
Cassie
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

I have not stayed at many places where I could not find a single thing to criticize or to wish that something could have been better. The Kimber Modern rises to this level. It is certainly not for every traveler as this is not your conventional hotel. No check in or on site staff. You are basically on your own. But behind the scenes, all your needs are looked after in a centrally located common room that supplies drinks, breakfast, snacks, computer/printer, guides and books etc. Rooms are kept immaculately cleaned and turned down. Beds are wonderfully comfortable and the rooms are very quiet at night. Location could not be better as you are on a side street steps away from hip South Congress area which to me is the best area of Austin. Good bars and restaurants and shopping at your doorstep. Easy bus ride straight into the centre of downtown, which is walk-able (bit of a hike).
We absolutely loved our stay at the Kimber and would have loved to have just hung around in the central courtyard reading and relaxing if we weren't so anxious to get out and enjoy Austin.
Special shout out to Cassie and her whole team. Helpful, friendly, considerate of our needs.
I could go on, but enough to say that this is what all hotels should aspire to. Perfection!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RHoliDaze
Thank you for the wonderful review! You described us perfectly. Hope to see you again soon.
Cassie
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013 via mobile

A few things I am learning about Modern style hotels, are that they have high quality bathrooms, coffee, and design! I love that the Kimber is within walking distance of the most popular areas of the city, but it's a little oasis at 3pm when they offer free cocktails (wine/beer/snacks) in their common area. The rooms are great. They said over the phone that the Orange room is smaller, but when we arrived I found it to be a perfect size for me and my husband. Parking was ok. They have 5 spots for 7 rooms, but we moved our car into a spot once one opened up. The staff and manager were extremely pleasant. The cost is a tad high, but it's wonderful in every other way so I felt good about paying for a great experience.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank ktginger
kvkAustinTx, Manager at Kimber Modern Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
Thank you for your review! We are Happy you enjoyed your stay and took advantage of our Happy Hour and the quietude that we provide. Please consider us again if your travels bring you back to Austin.