“tranquil urban stay”

Kimber Modern Hotel
Ranked #1 of 35 Austin B&B and Inns
“tranquil urban stay”
Reviewed 11 June 2010

I travel a lot. This place is unique...i love the checkin process...pick your room online and get a code for the door. You just arrive and go to your room. The rooms are so clean and well appointed. The exterior area in the center of the 'house' is a lovely place to hang out and read, drink coffee, drink wine. For the two days we were there it felt like our home. Very easy place to be.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed 7 June 2010

If bloated lobbies, fawning hoteliers and pillow chocolate ring hollow for you, check out the assured design, comfort, and amenities for the urban traveller at Kimber Modern. From the deeply quiet, sleekly appointed rooms with dreamy bedding and original art to the excitement of great design, welcoming amenities, and a cool neighbourhood, this is city travel at its best: confident, generous, and chic.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Longview, Texas
Reviewed 14 May 2010

Kinder Modern I would rate as one of the best places I have even stayed! Not only was it hip in aesthetics and clean lines.....but the entire experience was unique. I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone coming to Austin who would appreciate a unique experience. It was special and my daughter and I had a remarkably good time. Thanks to the Kinder Modern owners....great experience...thank you!!

• Stayed May 2010
Washington, DC
Reviewed 2 May 2010

Excited to stay at this well-reviewed hotel, we made online reservations in December for an October stay. In February, the owner called to unilaterally announce a significant increase in the reserved rate. Wanting to maintain relations, I generously offered to meet them halfway (despite the fact that it was they, not I, who had published the rate in the first place). They claimed to have offered that kind of meet-halfway accommodation in an e-mail, but had never done so (failed to "re-"send the offer when asked). That's bad enough, but when in March I tried to shorten our stay from four nights to three, at first they said "no problem" but called back to refuse, citing a fictional "four night minimum" that appears nowhere on their website or terms of reservation. They then unilaterally cancelled our reservation ("if you don't email us back by 5 this afternoon we will understand that to be a cancellation"). Unbelievable. I am so tired of them and sick of arguing with clearly unreliable people. At root, it's the story of a greedy, mendacious hotel with no regard for its obligations to uphold its end of contractual obligations. If I had the time and energy I would go to the Austin Better Business Bureau but this review (and those like it I plan to add to similar sites) will have to do. Good luck with the Kimber Modern -- you've been warned.

Stayed March 2010
16 Thank WantsMoreTravel
toronto
Reviewed 24 April 2010

my husband and i (on our honeymoon in austin) stayed at kimber modern in october 2009 for two nights. our flights in from canada were delayed & we arrived tired & a little grumpy but as soon as our cab pulled up to kimber modern all of that disappeared. our room was absolutely spotless & impeccably decorated. we really liked the relaxed atmosphere of this special little place. the products in the bathroom were a favorite of mine. also, the common kitchen area was really cool, the breakfasts had array of different foods & we really liked the happy hour too (happy hour isn't very prominent in toronto, canada). the people at kimber modern take the time to pay attention to details, which makes anybody's stay there truly unique.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Keller, Texas
Reviewed 22 April 2010

I was headed to Austin in my car without a hotel reservation. A couple hours outside Austin, I called my usual destination, Hotel San Jose. I was upset to learn that they were completely booked. I pulled out the BlackBerry, pulled over to the side of the road, and searched for hotels on/near South Congress. The name "Kimber Modern" caught my attention and the pictures looked interesting so I called and they had one room available, the Suite. I decided to go for it as I love modern architecture. The person on the other end of the phone offered the Suite at a regular room rate (it was after 5PM)......so I was already impressed before ever seeing the property.

I arrived....very impressed. It is obvious that every detail on this property was carefully planned. Extremely clean, peaceful, visually beautiful. Everything was perfect. This is my new "regular". I'm sorry Hotel San Jose.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
bhamlin42
Reviewed 15 April 2010

I literally travel around the world and this is my new favorite place to stay. It's small, homey, friendly, beautiful rooms, great location, a wonderful oasis in the middle of chaotic city fun.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo