“High-end and hip, but welcoming” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Saint Cecilia

Hotel Saint Cecilia
Ranked #69 of 197 Hotels in Austin
Dallas, Texas
“High-end and hip, but welcoming”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

We were welcomed by the staff here who knew our names when we arrived and told me happy birthday (they had asked my husband when he made the reservations if there was a special occasion). Our room was gorgeous but comfortable with a private patio overlooking the courtyard. There were cookies waiting for us on our table, they give you a choice of complimentary newspapers in the morning, and turn-down service included them leaving ice and rainwater. (And I have to mention how crazy comfortable the bed was!)

Each room has a turntable and the front office has a library of vinyls to take advantage of. Good selection (Beatles, Sly and the Family Stone, The Band, Miles Davis, to name a few) and a nice touch to get yourself in vacation mode.

We had coffee delivered at night from the lounge (expensive mixed drinks, but other drinks don't seem outrageous), and a delicious breakfast delivered in the morning. They make everything so easy, making it very easy to relax.

This place is very expensive though. We had a gift certificate and had to use it on a Sunday night (rather than a weekend night) because the rooms were otherwise out of range. If you have the money, you'll get a resort feel on one of the coolest streets in Austin - private, but close to the action. I'd recommend it for a special occasion.

Room Tip: A staff member gave us recommendations when making the reservations on the phone.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

I thought this hotel was a very nice boutique hotel in Austin. Here's how my visit breaks down:

PROS:
Best part of this hotel is that it gives you a resort-feel in the middle of a city.
The rooms are nicely decorated and the grounds are very enjoyable. Each room has a record player and you can borrow vinyls from the lobby.
The pool is small, but a relaxing place to pass time and the location is closed enough that you can walk right to the heart of South Congress.
The bed are also very comfortable.

CONS:
This hotels is pretty expensive (like as much as the Four Seasons) but the service and amenities just are not up to that level
The rooms have very little light, and I even had a lot of trouble putting on makeup in the bathroom since I couldn't see much.
My husband and I had a studio and there was no door on the bathroom - something to note in case you are traveling with a friend.
Absolutely nothing is included in the price (except a newspaper). There is no coffee maker in your room or even in the lobby which was kind of disappointing. You're only option is to buy a pot from the restaurant.
The TAXI situation - by far the WORST part of our stay. My husband was running late to dinner on Friday. He had the hotel call a taxi at 9pm and he did not get a response until 10:45. He completely missed dinner. When he kept asking the hotel about options they just said it's hard to get taxis there on Friday and Saturday nights. The restaurant was only 2 miles away - why couldn't the hotel (1) have a car service that guests can use, even if the guest has to pay more money for it or (2) offer to give him a ride the 2 miles to the restaurant?.
We were shocked to hear that this taxi problem happens every weekend and the hotel doesn't do anything about it. (Note: this doesn't seem to be a problem if you are staying downtown because all the taxis hangout there)

None of these are major issues, but if you are paying over $600 a night, they should be addressed and you shouldn't be waiting almost 2 hours for a taxi to drive you 2 miles. The whole experience was a bit strange.

I love boutique hotels and almost always stay in them before I would go to a chain, but this one is just not a good value. I would stay there again if I was in town for business and my company was paying for it.

MISC: This hotel also allows children and is family-friendly, but we didn't see any so that wasn't an issue.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank maf908285
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

we were warmly welcomed to the hotel. i was a bit worried as the hotel seemed very "cool" and "hip" and was fearful our brood of 3 small children (6, 4 and 2ys) would kill the vibe. actually it was the opposite, we were made to feel very welcome and our room was made up nicely to make it a pleasurable sleeping experience for the children. the pool was nice though could have used a sweep of it's floor each morning. hotel offered to empty out the fridge to make room for any snacks/drinks we'd need for the children. the cleaning service did a great job. overall, a perfect hideaway, we were sad to leave.

Room Tip: loved the bungalows!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Ohio, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

At Hotel St. Cecilia, expect a homey paradise. You will feel attached to this place because you will surely feel at home once you step into this rich paradise. In Austin, Hotel Saint Cecilia is considered a treasure by many and a place to unwind in when being visited by tourists. It has already made a name for itself and is a favorite by me and my family every time we visit my in-laws. We love hanging out by the pool late in the afternoon and enjoying the precious time we have with the family.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

This hotel is stunning. The property is so gorgeous, the rooms are comfy and cosy and beautifully decorated, the pool is wonderful and the location is perfect. The customer service is top notch, from the moment you check in until you tearily say good bye every need is taken care of by lovely happy people. I had one issue, as i was here for work the wifi wasn't working in my room which was pretty annoying, the manager took care of that by offering me complimentary coffee or cocktails while i worked from the lounge below my room. Very happy trade off if you ask me. Absolutely will be back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

The Hotel Saint Cecelia is a great place. My girlfriend is from Austin and I had never been there. I had no desire to stay near 6th street and I am very glad we didn't. The South Congress area is the only place that you should stay if you would like to spend your time at someplace original that has a bit of character. My only advice is that when traveling to Austin on an "off week" such as we did during Thanksgiving, you may be better off staying at the Cecelia's sister hotel "The San Jose" as the Saint Cecelia is a slight bit off the beaten pat and there is more action near The San Jose.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SLPY
jacko_jackson
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

I live in Ausitn so I normally don't do any reviews here to avoid perception of bias, but thought I'd review our anniversary "staycation" at Saint Cecilia from back in July. We've stayed at the group's sister properties in San Antonio and have had drinks numerous times at Hotel San Jose - always impressed. Saint Cecilia is an amazing property that can go toe to toe with any hotel and property in any city/country. Hard to say too much without giving much of its magic away, but the trees and the grounds are amazing. Obviously it's very expensive, particularly for an Austin hotel, but you get what you paid for. We stayed in one of the poolside bungalows. The pool is small and private with good service from the staff. The pool had a few kids for an hour or so when we got there which was slightly loud but not at all annoying; after they left we literally had the pool to ourselves for the next 2 hours. Couldn't have asked for a better stay and time. The room is a suite and not particularly small or large, but it is as luxurious as the rest of the reviews mention. This was my first time to sleep in a Hasten bed and it is the real deal - seriously almost worth it just for that. The doors separating the bedroom from the living room are massive and beautifully designed. You will get numerous ideas for your dream house when you stay here. I can now see why it's so many people's dreams to open up a boutique hotel, but it is also a reality buster as I now know it is better to leave it to the experts (there is no way could think of or develop a property in the same category as Saint Cecilia). One thing that was weird/disappointing was the lack of an overhead showerhead but overall the bathroom was top tier with a great soaking tub and some unique toileteries (some cost extra but worth it). They have a great vinyl collection at the lobby that you can check out from their library, which is a great way to kill time and relax. I can't remember the last time I was able to listen to some Paul Simon, George Harrison, and Neil Young while sipping on glass of wine on a ginormous pillow. It's literally in a perfect location, about 5 minute walk to the hustle of Congress. Had an incredible night with dinner at Vespaoi, followed by some Continental Club action, and dessert at Amy's Ice Cream. Followed all that with a drink in the incredible courtyard (beware of mosquitoes though). We hit up Jo's for coffee the next morning and did Hopdoddy the next day for lunch. Overall incredible stay, wow location, and unmatched property.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jacko_jackson
Lisa M, General Manager at Hotel Saint Cecilia, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your staycation with us--we love that local Austinites take the time to come and relax here with us as well. We appreciate your lovely review and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. If you would prefer an overhead shower, let the Front Desk know your preference and we are happy to accommodate you on your next visit, and we apologize for the mosquitoes--the lounge has natural bug spray on hand to help combat Texas summers. We hope to host you again here soon and look forward to having you as our guest!