“Wonderful anniversary trip!”

Ranked #67 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Austin, Texas, United States
“Wonderful anniversary trip!”
Reviewed 31 May 2013

My husband and I just spent last night at Hotel San Jose to celebrate our 5 year anniversary. We are Austin residents and I had previously enjoyed an evening in their courtyard sharing a bottle of wine with a friend, and knew I wanted to come back. Their grounds are absolutely breathtaking and despite being so close to busy, hip, and happening South Congress Avenue, it feels like a serene world away! The decor is simple, modern, but very classy -- and everywhere there are nice touches that really make the trip -- minibar, fancy bathrobes, nice little sitting area, etc. I had let the staff know that we were celebrating our anniversary, and upon check-in, the staff greeted me with "Happy Anniversary!" when they looked up our reservation -- and a cold bottle of Prosecco waiting for us in our room. It is touches like this that make spending a night away from home completely worth it. We walked across the street to have dinner at nearby Botticelli's, and were able to let ourselves in through a side gate with our room key to get back to our room, allowing us to bypass the courtyard area entirely. The walkway between the rooms feels like a private garden -- very serene. I did read other TripAdvisor reviews before I came and I found the complaints -- noisy birds, noisy street -- not to be an issue for us. You can't expect to have such beautifully manicured gardens/grounds and not attract some area birds. We will absolutely be back. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, Hotel San Jose, for a truly romantic anniversary staycation!

Room Tip: The "Grand Suite" has a wonderful sitting area in addition to just the room -- very nice!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Did not stay here due to a free room at a friends apartments, but the wonderful rooms and quality staff we encountered while having drinks there one afternoon made this a place I would highly recommend. The courtyards throughout the property are quite breathtaking and perfect respite from the busy scene just outside the hotel on South Congress Street. There tropical sangria was delicious also!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Meghan H, General Manager at Hotel San Jose, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Dear Sarahm997,

Thanks for the terrific review. We are so delighted you came to lounge with us and enjoyed our seasonal sangria. Hopefully you can stay wihle on your next visit to Austin. Bring your friend, as locals are always encouraged to take a reprieve and enjoy a "staycation" at the San Jose.
Kindly,

Meghan
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Pricey hotel but the rooms were comfortable, friendly staff and great location. The hotel bar was lively every evening we were there. The hotel has a pool but I think it's there more as a feature than for use. My only complaint would be the sink was too small and the shower not powerful enough. Had a few visits from our tiny eight legged friends but that was to be expected once you see the hotel grounds.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Christine M
Hermosa Beach, California
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Everything about Hotel San Jose was enjoyable...from the location alone to the staff, decor, gardens, etc. Arriving early evening on a Wednesday, we started our stay with a famous Michilada at the lounge while a DJ spun old school records (think Buddy Holly era) and enjoyed people and dog watching around the pool. Later that evening the hotel recommended some fabulous restaurants, cocktails and music, all within walking distance of Hotel San Jose. We were not disappointed. The following day we rented bikes from the hotel and were able to bike around the entire city area. Our bike even broke while 8 miles across the city and a staff member arrived within 15 minutes with a replacement bike. I would easily stay at Hotel San Jose over and over.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mayerlala
Waco, Texas
Reviewed 4 May 2013

This place is unusual. It feels part garden, part hotel, and part party spot. But, it's still quiet enough to do a little bit of work and to sleep well. I've stayed several times, and the standard room is fine for the overnight trip. I've stayed in the Grand and in a suite, and they all felt about the same. For me, I'd rather stay in the "Garden" area if it's available.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Greg W
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 1 May 2013

What a beautiful property. The landscaping is stunning, the sense of seclusion in the heart of a vibrant neighborhood is amazing, and the outdoor spaces are great. The front desk staff was super-helpful for the most part. I love the M + G toiletries, breezy, bright cotton robes (though at $150 a pop, I balked at buying one), the well-curated minibar, complete with bottled rainwater, the ease of parking, and the allover lack of waste. But this visit was a real disappointment. I am still reeling from the sticker shock of it all, because it wasn't worth it! We had room 55. It is a small, dim, echo-box on the second floor with what felt like a full-size bed after sleeping like stick figures for two nights. (The linens and pillows are clean,crisp, top notch, thank goodness.) The bathroom looked dingy. At night, every bathroom door rolling open or shut from nearby rooms, every footstep, every cough from our neighbors reverberated through the concrete floors. At 5 am, the grackles (pesky local birds that flock to the lush trees of Austin) started up with a deafening screeching. It was so far from restful. The bar and pool area, which in the past seemed cool yet quiet, were both obnoxious. One day, housekeeping didn't take out our recycling and left a full plastic bag of trash on our desk, on top of a stack of my husband's shirts. Needless to say, my love affair with HSJ is over.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank eeleeleel
Meghan H, General Manager at Hotel San Jose, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Dear Eeleeleel,
I'm sorry we didn't live up to last year's expectation. We do have all queen sized beds on the property and it does happen to be Grackle mating season, so I agree with you, they are quite loud early in the morning. We do offer both complimentary ear plugs and eye masks at the front desk and are always happy to work with our geusts to find a room that is best suited to their needs.
I would like to know more about what made the courtyard and pool area obnoxious?
The more information we have the best we are able to make improvements.
Thank you for taking the time to fairly review our property and please reach out to me directly so we can discuss your stay further and hopefully come to a positive resolution.
Kindest Regards,
Meghan Hughes
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The history of this Hotel is worth its price in gold. Landmark of Austin.Great location, across the street from the Continental club, surrounded by great restaurants . The staff is over the top, dedicated, attentive and friendly.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends