“Amazing Hotel San José”
Review of Hotel San Jose

Hotel San Jose
Ranked #69 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I loved everything about this hotel! The location is perfect and close to pretty much everything worth seeing and doing in Austin.

We stayed three people in a double queen and that was a good size for us. I fell in love with all the details of the room, like the hippie blankets, the Malin + Goetz products, the awesome kimono robes, and the stylish mini bar!

The Austin weather was hot hot hot so we spent some time by the pool which was small and simple but did the job.

I didn't want to leave and I hope I will make it back there at some point!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed here for one night after staying at the Saint Cecilia, and I am sure that really affected our opinion of this hotel. While it is very stylish, and the staff very nice, I do not think I would stay here again. The courtyard gets super crowded on weekend nights with non-guests which made it impossible to have a drink here before turning in. We stayed in one of the smaller rooms, so I was not expecting much, but the concrete floor and sparse walls made for a very loud experience. The door to the bathroom hangs on a track and it is insanely loud when you try to open and close it. It didn't help matters that the family of four in the room next to us decided to use the table outside our rooms as their personal play area for their kids at 8:30 a.m. There is no dimmer on the bathroom light so if you need to go in the middle of the night you are going to blind yourself when you turn it on. There was no closet to hang clothes, just a bar over a dresser so there was no where to hang the long dress I had with me. Not awesome.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mackkt
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Being a Native born Texan ,having lived in California,europe, and the Northwest, I was delighted to see the name of the hotel-trendy-the suite was comfortable, the patio was quaint, the shower was lovely, the organic product was a nice surprise,room service is more than acomadating-delicious breakfast- i thoroughly enjoyed my week long stay...I definitelly will stay here agian. the location to downtown is in lovely walking distance to the heart of Austin, close to family ,dinning out was equally lovely!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I always stay at the Hotel San Jose when I'm in Austin. I like the "hip" fun decorated rooms, there is also a cute little courtyard with pool and bar. The room was very clean and quiet. The staff even offered me a deal on a room the third time I travelled here, and are always welcoming. The hotel is located within walking distance of a lot of great shops and bars.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 June 2013

I stayed here one night while in town on business. I don't think I'll stay here again.

Good things:
1. Great location. This neighborhood has lots of places to eat, funky shops, bars, etc. We happened to be there on a "First Thursday" when all the shops are open late and there is street art for sale.
2. Courtyard. The courtyard bar is quiet and relaxing. Wine and beer only but good choices of both.
3. Coffee shop. Jo's coffee shop has great coffee and food choices (although limited). Although if it were cold or raining it would suck because it's pretty much just a take-out counter.
4. Room was clean.
5. Good water pressure in shower. Excellent toiletries.

Bad things:
1. Noise. Maybe it's quiet on a weeknight that isn't a first Thursday, but on the weekends and on the night I was there it was generally really loud in the vicinity. The room design does not help. The rooms are very spare, with concrete floors, minimal furniture, etc. No rugs. And the soundproofing between rooms is not good. So you can hear everybody walking around outside your room you can hear your neighbors, etc. I'm just glad my neighbors went to sleep after their loud conversation until 1:30am rather than, um, staying up for other activities. I would have heard everything. Even with earplugs it was not good.
2 Room blinds do not darken room. Thus, it was hard to sleep in after my involuntary staying-up-late.
3. Seating is not good. Very stylish plastic midcentury chairs look great, but stink for working in your room or relaxing.
4. Bed was only so-so. Definitely have slept on worse but all the pillows were identically not the right size for me.
5. All this for $200/night, and the rates go higher.

I love being in a fun neighborhood but I also love my sleep and a bit of quiet. If you don't care about noise and can sleep through anything your neighbors might be doing, then you'll be fine. I personally won't stay here again - I'll just walk to the area from another hotel that is quieter and a bit more off the noisy strip.

Room Tip: Beg them for a room away from everybody else. Especially if there is a firepit in front of one of y...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank JoKnits
Meghan H, General Manager at Hotel San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2013

Dear JoKnits,
Thank you for a fair response to your recent stay with us. I’d agree that we have some rooms that are more noisy than others. We also happened to have a wedding group in-house during your stay and that could have been a contributing factor to the noise. If you'd be willing tor try visiting us again we'd love to put you in a quieter room at a discount rate. We definitely have the ability to note in your profile that you prefer a quiter rooms with darker window coverage.
Safe travels and again thank you for the feedback.
Kindly,
Meghan

Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

We went there without a booking according to recommendation from Tripadvisor. We got the info at reception that a room is from 250 to 300 $. Therefore we did not go there. Very nice from the outside and in the right location. But too expensive!

Reviewed 31 May 2013

My husband and I just spent last night at Hotel San Jose to celebrate our 5 year anniversary. We are Austin residents and I had previously enjoyed an evening in their courtyard sharing a bottle of wine with a friend, and knew I wanted to come back. Their grounds are absolutely breathtaking and despite being so close to busy, hip, and happening South Congress Avenue, it feels like a serene world away! The decor is simple, modern, but very classy -- and everywhere there are nice touches that really make the trip -- minibar, fancy bathrobes, nice little sitting area, etc. I had let the staff know that we were celebrating our anniversary, and upon check-in, the staff greeted me with "Happy Anniversary!" when they looked up our reservation -- and a cold bottle of Prosecco waiting for us in our room. It is touches like this that make spending a night away from home completely worth it. We walked across the street to have dinner at nearby Botticelli's, and were able to let ourselves in through a side gate with our room key to get back to our room, allowing us to bypass the courtyard area entirely. The walkway between the rooms feels like a private garden -- very serene. I did read other TripAdvisor reviews before I came and I found the complaints -- noisy birds, noisy street -- not to be an issue for us. You can't expect to have such beautifully manicured gardens/grounds and not attract some area birds. We will absolutely be back. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, Hotel San Jose, for a truly romantic anniversary staycation!

Room Tip: The "Grand Suite" has a wonderful sitting area in addition to just the room -- very nice!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple