“The essence of young Austin style and ambience”
Review of Hotel San Jose

Hotel San Jose
Ranked #78 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Raleigh, North Carolina
“The essence of young Austin style and ambience”
Reviewed 19 March 2009

I loved the Hotel San José, though it was not the cushiest in a traditional sense, nor the staff the most polished and sycophantic. But then, Austin, Texas is not the Old World and the staff at the Hotel San José are twenty somethings, pleasant and attentive, but not career hotel professionals.
The San José has had a long, checkered past and even in its current renovated, Zen incarnation, it wears its history like a badge of honor. The rooms are vintage American motel in size and configuration. There's a square window on one wall, so there's not lots of natural light. Some rooms are better than others in that regard. If you get a room on the first floor tucked under an outdoor staircase, ask for another, as I did, or you're going to be plunged into 1950 darkness for the duration of your stay.
Decor is Zen monastic, spare and hip, and surprisingly comfortable for all the absence of plush and chintz.
I enjoyed my interactions with the staff. When I found that I'd been given the room under the staircase mentioned above, I asked to be relocated and I was, immediately and pleasantly.
I ordered room service breakfasts each of the three mornings I was there and I was pleased with both the quality of food and the punctuality of service.
I loved the pool/bar area with its attractive plantings and Southwestern garden architectural elements. Lots of people love the bar area, by the way, so be prepared for full tables of other thirsty souls, clamoring for the tasty and unusual drinks that the hotel offers.
The Hotel San José is not a standard cookie-cutter Marriott-type hotel. If you want that sort of experience, you know where to get it. As for me, I'll be staying at this quintessential Austin hotel again and again.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
5 Thank Vivianite

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 17 March 2009

Just returned from 4 nights at Hotel San Jose. I can't say enough about the hotel's attention to details, which made it such a unique and inspiring place to stay. From the carefully chosen soap, to the local "Rainwater" in your room, to the locally roasted coffee waiting for you in the lobby each morning. The service was perfect - they were there for you when you needed them but not in your face - just like the entire experience.

While the hotel was close to downtown, once inside you felt like you were in a hidden sanctuary with a very authentic vibe that embraces the SoCo area. The location was perfect. We were their for the interactive portion of SxSW and downtown was getting busy - staying on S. Congress allowed us to get away from the crowds and experience the real Austin. There are lots of unique shops and restaurants all within walking distance of the hotel.

Hotel San Jose is luxurious without being pretentious and understated without being cheap. It was one of the best hotel experiences we've had and we will definitely be back!

Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank kmackdeuber
Denver, CO
Reviewed 2 March 2009

Stayed March 1, 2009 with 2 adults and our dog. Rooms are modern and stark, but still pleasant. Poolside wine and snacks with hipsters gave a real impression of Austin's young scene.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tovan
Alberta
Reviewed 23 February 2009

Fantastic pick for the location if you want to go out on the town and also shop the trendy shops. It was a little noisy so when you book ask for a suite not facing the main road. Woke me up a bit at night but overall great place!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TravellingCanucks2
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 18 February 2009

My main reason for choosing the Hotel San Jose was, of course, the location on South Congress. After reading the Trip Advisor reviews, I knew that the drawbacks to the hotel would be the street noise, but I was willing to sacrifice that in order to be in the area for the food, nightlife, and just for fun to stay we've stayed in such a "hip" Austin hotel. It met my basic expectations, but I would be unlikely to stay there again until spending $160 a night on such a basic hotel room becomes less of a strain.

We liked the decor and the overall feel of the hotel. We LOVED the courtyard, and grabbed drinks from the hotel happy hour and cupcakes from down the street at Hey Cupcakes and stayed out on the patio chatting with local friends.

My main disappointment was that the maids didn't come until late in the afternoon (past 5 pm), when it would have been better for us had they come during the day when we were out, and not when we were in the room getting ready for the evening.

I would by no means call this a "value" for the price, but if location and the experience are important to you, then the Hotel San Jose is a good choice.

4 Thank MegandLou
Denver
Reviewed 5 February 2009

Pros
bed quality superb
room clean
location
Cons
We were given a standard room, which we reserved, and the room was located by the footpath between the check in and the parking lot/coffee bar, the doorbell/buzzer used at nite was connected to our wall, I was woken up 4-8 times each nite (we stayed two nites) by this buzzer, the foot traffic, and during the day there was no privacy, people walked constantly right by our room
As all of our friends stated when they saw the room, this room should have been never made a room, it should be used for storage, terrible location for the price, I didn't sleep more than two hours at a time, then the buzzer would wake me up,
We asked for a different room each day and there was no other rooms available, being in the hotel business, both my spouse and I , they could have met our concerns some way, not accomodating
Lastly, we had a parking sticker for the lot and there was no room for us to park so we had to park on the street, we would have not borrowed our friends car, but were told that there was off street parking, didn't happen

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank 0920
Boston, MA
Reviewed 11 January 2009

Recently stayed at the Hotel San Jose for a trip to check out Austin. The hotel is in a great location on S. Congress in a nice area with second-hand shops and some good restaurants. Overall the grounds are very relaxings and the only issue we had is checking in after it just rained and the pathways were muddy. Our room was very simple and chic, and had an earthy vibe with cement floors and simple retro furniture. The staff is very friendly and helpful, especially for recommending some sights for us to check out on our trip. Stayed during the week so their evening patio bar was not too busy or loud, but could understand it might be a disturbance...its Austin "live music capital of the world" so you'd expect a bit of music and a bar scene. Joe's next door is a great place for a quick breakfast and to do some people watching throughout the day. Overall I would definitely recommend and stay again at the Hotel San Jose, it has such a nice retro feel to the property and guestrooms.

• Liked — Simple guestrooms
  • Disliked — N/A
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank hewitt019