“SHARED ROOMS WITH ONE BATHROOM...AWFUL!!!”
Review of Hotel San Jose

Hotel San Jose
Ranked #74 of 203 Hotels in Austin
los angeles
“SHARED ROOMS WITH ONE BATHROOM...AWFUL!!!”
Reviewed 17 September 2009

My husband and I were traveling cross country and called to book Hotel San Jose the night before we arrived. We decided to book the cheapest room available which was the one of the rooms with the shared bathroom. When I called to book it, I was never told that it was a shared space as well as the bathroom. It was awful, like a crammed apartment with locks on the bedroom doors. It was 2 am and we were exhausted from traveling so I asked the person working the front at the time if there was anything he can do for us, maybe give us a better rate on a normal room since the night was already over. He was nice, but not accomodating at ALL. He refused to give us a better rate and said he was not able to without permission. By then it was almost 3am, so I was very frustrated and tired and I acknowledged out loud how UN-ACCOMODATING he was and we declined to stay there and I said thank you. He did not say one word to me when we left out in the night to go look for a place to sleep.
I thought this was horrible customer service! The least he could have done is give us a small discount since it was about $150 difference in price and the night was over.
The night ended well, we went to the Sheraton right down the street from the Texas State Capitol with a great view of it from the window and the night manager on duty gave us half off their normal rate, for the duration of 3 nights.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Itsaboogie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 August 2009

I had a great time. I loved that this was not your typical hotel. "Hallways" were outdoors, deeply shaded by surrounding trees. Decor is a quirky mix of minimalist modern and vintage '50s retro. Instead of a carpeted lobby and elevators there was an outdoor courtyard. I chose the shared bathroom to save a bomb. Loved cozy, cottagey, collegiate feel to that section, the bright red, painted red floors invited walking barefoot, really generous desk surface, huge windows on all sides made my room feel porch like, big raw wood block for a night stand. Every room clock offers an ipod dock. Front desk will loan you CDs or an ipod loaded with your choice of music from their extensive library. DVD movies also available for loan at no extra charge. The pool is more suitable for socializing than swimming laps, and a bit warm due to it's small size. [Barton Springs is the place to go if you need a really brisk, refreshing swim.] Everyone was very pleasant and accommodating. Coffeeshop next door, affiliated with the hotel, offers weekly movie nights in the parking lot and live music. The Hotel is located by a selection of great eating, drinking and shopping choices and offers convenient access to downtown.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank naturedog
Virginia
Reviewed 3 August 2009

Overall, my time spent at HSJ was most pleasurable and I would love to come back again. No hotel I have visited has compared to the experience of staying at Hotel San Jose.

Staff: I was a little apprehensive of dealing with the staff after reading the reviews on this site, but I found them to be either friendly or brisk - no one was rude at all which was a big relief. I had originally booked myself to stay for four nights in a shared bath suite, but HSJ had overbooked two of my nights and I was given a single bedroom for those nights at the same cost ($95) which was really kind of them to do.

Location: The location is amazing - near all the fun stuff in SoCo as well as a mile and half away from downtown Austin. You never have to deal with the traffic on I-35 or MoPac. I couldn't have asked for anything better.

Rooms: I enjoyed staying in a single bedroom more than the shared bath suite (obviously), but the shared bath suite wasn't a hardship at all. The beds were super comfortable and the rooms had all the amenities that you really need. A small issue with the suite is that the thermostat is located in the hallway and controls the temperature of the *entire* suite. If you have serious issues with how hot or cold your room is, then you may want to have a discussion with your suitemates. Also, the bottle of rainwater that you find when you first enter the room isn't replaced like your towels and soaps are. It costs $4 a bottle if you want more.

Noise: Both of my rooms were located right off South Congress, so I didn't really perceive a difference in noise levels. It gets loud at night with the Continental Club across the street, but you could do what I did and just walk over to listen to some great live music. Or you can pack earplugs. I'd like to note that there isn't much the staff can do about where HSJ is located and they do tell people when they book their rooms that it gets loud at night, so giving them a hard time over it is kind of moot point.

Design: I sincerely loved both the exterior and interior design of the hotel. After spending a hot day (105 deg!) on busy South Congress, it was relief and pleasure to spend time on the hotel grounds and in my rooms. It is very peaceful to just walk the grounds - a truly zen quality to the ambiance of the hotel. There's seating in shaded areas all over the grounds and while the pool is small (~8' x 20'), it was refreshing to take a dip in it.

The Bad: The only serious deterrent I had with the hotel was the four to five small roaches I saw in the bathroom of the shared bath suite. I only saw them in the middle of night and while it wasn't something I was entirely comfortable with, it didn't ruin my stay at HSJ. Also, I had no insect problems with the single bedroom, just the suite. The low points for cleanliness is entirely due to this issue, otherwise the hotel was very clean.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank APleasantHope
san angelo
Reviewed 2 August 2009

I have a lot of loving family scattered around Austin but I always elect to stay at the San Jose when I'm in town. To me, it's the essence of South Austin -- much classier than it's neighbor, The Austin Motel. Located on a perfect stretch of road on South Congress, it's in walking distance to a lot of the off-beat places one can only experience in South Austin. Across the street from the legendary Continental Club (a good friend, Roger One Night, once owned it,) down the street from my favorite Guero's Taco Bar and right next door to Jo's -- where I always enjoy a late weekend breakfast with excellent coffee outside -- the San Jose is a perfect fit for me.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank AnaSanAngelo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 July 2009

First off, I was staying at the Four Seasons and decided to switch to Hotel San Jose on my last night in Austin. I AM SO GLAD I DID!

Although the Four Seasons is top-knotch in terms of service and quality, I felt too secluded from Austin locals. The location of Hotel San Jose is great -- warm and inviting, almost as if you were at a resort. I loved the minimalist style of the overall decor of the hotel. There were vines that wrapped around the exterior and all throughout the property. There is a small pool to chill and hang out by. In the evening, it became pretty loud because it seemed all the locals went poolside for drinks. It added to the hip atmosphere of the hotel, in my opinion. So, we sat by the pool and had a beer: relaxing. Our room was by all this action, but it honestly didn't really affect us.

In the morning, we had coffee and Joe's, which is situated right next to the hotel. (I believed it's also owned by the hotel, too.) So, I grabbed some coffee, sat at the tables next to the pool and read my book. Although we were only there for a night, it felt like a week-long vacation there.

The staff was super helpful and courteous. Overall, highly, highly, highly recommended -- especially over the Four Seasons!! If you want to mingle with the locals and get a real taste of Austin, stay at Hotel San Jose. Also, there are shops and restaurants within two minutes walking distance. Free internet and parking too!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank chicagophoto
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2009

We stayed in the San Jose for two nights in one of the "Sweet" rooms - one of three rooms with a shared bathroom, which is located directly above the lobby. Our room was located right on South Congress, where you could see the Continental Club right across the street.

I'll summarize my thoughts in bullet points, for ease of understanding!

- Lovely spaces, design-wise. I am a fan of minimalism, and loved the sparse furnishings. However, they aptly offset this with colourful prints on the walls and details throughout the rooms. The bright green flip-flops, the batik-style pillow cases and coverlets. Loved the look of the place.

- Room was well appointed, with the usual toiletries (just nicer versions), a fan and air-con, robes, paper and pencils and an ace little box with loads of supplies should you want for anything (and be OK with paying for it!)

- Shared bathrooms were kept clean and tidy. No issues there.

- The room was slightly noisy but luckily I am not one to suffer from being kept awake by ANYTHING once my body decides it's time for bed. For someone who is a lighter sleeper, however, these rooms would probably be well too noisy. I will give the staff credit, as I was warned both during booking and check-in that these rooms were right on South Congress and can get noisy.

- Roaches. Yes, roaches. Unfortunately. I know that they are sometimes inevitable in this sort of climate, but I was not expecting to see them in a relatively high-priced hotel such as this one. I'm not squeamish and so we just set about killing them with shoes, but I can see how that could be quite upsetting to some guests. I think we saw three over 2 days.

- The staff weren't too snobby or offstandish to us as mentioned in other reviews. Efficient and helpful, but we didn't need much in the way of requests either.

All in all, I would definitely stay here again. I loved the decor and the vibe of the hotel. I would've definitely given it a 4 stars except for the roaches.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GreatDanes
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 16 June 2009

I have stayed here numerous times over the years and truly love the location, the simple style, comfortable bed, pool and lounge. I cannot believe that I actually left slightly disappointed this time.
The water pressure in the shower was a big fat let down. We had a suite this time around and i actually thought that our shower head was broken. Nope, that trickle of water was intentional. We also had a leak in our room that came out of a vent on the wall after a heavy rainstorm. Our rug was soaking wet. The girl from the front desk brought us some towels for us to clean it up and then proceeded to slide the wet rug under the bed. umm...really?
Staff was very unfriendly. They seemed almost mad. Very unapproachable. I don't remember it ever being quite so bad in the past.
and what is up with the $10 sangria? what a profit they are making off those drinks. yeah, they are great tasting and all, but come on.
will i go back? sure. maybe. well, maybe I will look around a little at my other options.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends