Umlauf Sculpture Garden & Museum
Ranked #50 of 335 things to do in Austin
More attraction details
Owner description: Museum and garden dedicated to the works of American sculptor Charles Umlauf. The garden holds over 40 sculptures, framed by nature. Inside the gallery, rotating exhibits of Umlauf's more obscure pieces and other similar artists are on display. There are everyday activities for children and regular workshops/lectures for art-lovers of all ages.
Reviewed 4 July 2013

As it is within the beautiful Zilker Park Complex, you'd expect this to be a great spot. Not so much. The setting isn't as serene as it backs up to the busy roadway. The sculptures aren't anything out of the ordinary. It's more like someone's private garden. There is a nice patio with places to sit. But it is just a rather small and unimpressive garden. Sorry. I wanted to love it. There are much better gardens in Austin and within Zilker to spend your time.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

I have lived in Austin for almost 20 years, and today for the first time I visited the Umlauf Sculpture Garden. I was really impressed with the park itself and the artwork, and I was amazed at the tranquility and the calm that lies literally in walking distance from downtown Austin.

The grounds are fantastic. There is an amazing amount of shade over the walking paths and the sculptures, which is a huge deal in Austin in the summer. There was a wonderful breeze blowing, I doubt this is an everyday occurrence but it also made our visit that much more pleasant. There are some elevation changes, but the walk to see all the sculptures is not taxing. Depending on how much time you spend examining the sculptures, you can walk the entire grounds in 20 minutes to 90 minutes.

I was very impressed with the artwork. Art is subjective, but I really enjoyed the mix of classical, expressionist and abstract work that is displayed in the Umlauf garden. The works range from biblical and classics-inspired sculptures, to classical observations on the human and animal forms, and there are a lot of pieces that focus on the mother and child or family relationships. I don't know that Umlauf's work will be everyone's cup of tea, but I will definitely be exploring his work further as a result of my visit.

There is a main building with a rotating indoor display as well as a mini-theater that plays a video about Charles Umlauf and his work. I enjoyed both, and I definitely enjoyed the fact that those rooms are air-conditioned.

I went with my family, my young kids had fun running around (in a controlled way) and exploring the grounds. When we entered, the curators gave my kids laminated sheets showing 8 sculptures on the grounds, and when we returned after they found all 8 they gave my kids each a sticker. I wouldn't say this is the Austin attraction that you're kids will love the most, but my kids enjoyed it much more than a visit to a traditional museum.

I highly recommend the Umlauf Garden to anyone interested in learning more about Charles Umlauf and his work. I also recommend it for art aficionados, and I would further recommend it as a nice place to have some quiet time or a relaxing picnic as an escape from the heat and the activity in downtown Austin.

Reviewed 21 June 2013

Decided to visit this while staying with family in the area and while it was an interesting garden and sculpture area it was small and not really worth the effort to duck traffic to get there. As others have said even if you ponder deeply every single sculpture you'll spend about 30-40 minutes tops at the garden.

It is free to get in - though they are soliciting donations - but it isn't that great a place to visit. Honestly, i think it is a nicer garden for those who are locals and want a shaded area to sit and read a book or, like one flyer noted, joining the bi-weekly yoga group that met there.

Reviewed 15 June 2013

Interesting sculpture work but a little depressing. The setting is lovely but some of the sculpture was a bit dark. It really only took about 20 minutes to go through the whole thing. Been there done that -- won't be back

Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

I can't say that I really loved the sculptures although they are not awful just not so great but I did really love the grounds. It's beautiful to just sit and be quite in plus I did get to see a sculpture by Farrah fawcet which was interesting.