“Great Presidential library”

LBJ Presidential Library
Ranked #4 of 339 things to do in Austin
More attraction details
Owner description: Located on a 30-acre site on The University of Texas at Austin campus, the LBJ Presidential Library is one of 14 presidential libraries administered by the National Archives and Records Administration. Visitors have the opportunity to experience the life and times of Lyndon B. Johnson, one of our nation's most fascinating presidents, and the era of his administration—the turbulent 1960s. HOURS & ADMISSION The library is open daily (except for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day), 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Admission is $10 for adults, $7 for seniors 62 and older, $5 for former military, $3 for youth 13-17, and $3 for non-UT Austin college/university students with valid ID. Free admission is given to children 12 and under, active military, student groups, and UT Austin students, faculty, and staff with valid ID. Free parking is available in visitor lot #38. FEATURES & EXHIBITIONS Exhibitions incorporate interactive elements with historical and cultural artifacts. - Listen to dozens of LBJ's historic White House telephone conversations - Step into a replica of the Oval Office - Experience the president's decision-making process in interactive displays about the Six-Day War and Vietnam War - Discover how legislation signed by LBJ affects you today - Peek into Lady Bird Johnson's office and learn about her environmental efforts and White House Years ARCHIVES & MUSEUM COLLECTION The library houses more than 45 million pages, an extensive audiovisual collection, including more than 650,000 photos and 5,000 hours of recordings, and approximately 55,000 artifacts donated by the President and Mrs. Johnson, their family, friends, and the American people. THE STORE AT LBJ The LBJ museum store offers a selection of books, DVDs, and custom designed souvenirs that reflect the content of the library's permanent exhibition space and the life and career of LBJ.
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We visited the LBJ library/museum expecting to only stay an hour or two. We were wonderfully surprised by how extensive and well done the exhibits are. We left after a couple of hours only because we had another obligation later in the afternoon. I would have liked to have stayed longer and been able to read more about some of the exhibits. I was there with my husband, son and daughter-in-law and we all went away saying how much we learned about President Johnson that we didn't know before we visited this library. My husband really enjoyed listening to the telephone conversations President Johnson had with a variety of people. My daughter-in-law and I learned a lot about Lady Bird that we didn't know before and enjoyed the personal information about the workings of the White House. There was also a special visiting exhibit about the American soldier as seen through photographs. It was very well done. The whole museum was well worth the visit. The next time I'm in Austin, I would like to return and see what we missed and any new exhibits they would have. Also, I would like to drive out to see his Texas ranch which I've heard is also well done. A great Austin highlight!

3  Thank Tauna D
Write a ReviewReviews (2,730)
All reviews
"vietnam war"
in 211 reviews
"civil rights"
in 181 reviews
"president johnson"
in 75 reviews
"replica of the oval office"
in 72 reviews
"lady bird"
in 122 reviews
"interactive exhibits"
in 51 reviews
"university of texas campus"
in 51 reviews
in 32 reviews
"on display"
in 48 reviews

Reviewed 26 November 2013

The newly renovated LBJ library has some very nice new displays. It is a nice walk back in time. I would also recommend the LBJ Ranch and childhood home in Stonewall, Texas, which is about an hours drive from Austin.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Very nice display of the LBJ years and family life. You wont need much more than an hour but you will leave knowing a lot more about LBJ than when you arrived.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

It was really interesting to walk through the presidential library and "relive" some history. The exhibits are well done and are thought provoking.