“Absolutely a must!”

and up
Austin Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #2 of 325 things to do in Austin
More attraction details
Owner description: Located on a 30-acre site on The University of Texas at Austin campus, the LBJ Presidential Library is one of 14 presidential libraries administered by the National Archives and Records Administration. Visitors have the opportunity to experience the life and times of Lyndon B. Johnson, one of our nation's most fascinating presidents, and the era of his administration—the turbulent 1960s. HOURS & ADMISSION The library is open daily (except for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day), 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Admission is $10 for adults, $7 for seniors 62 and older, $5 for former military, $3 for youth 13-17, and $3 for non-UT Austin college/university students with valid ID. Free admission is given to children 12 and under, active military, student groups, and UT Austin students, faculty, and staff with valid ID. Free parking is available in visitor lot #38. FEATURES & EXHIBITIONS Exhibitions incorporate interactive elements with historical and cultural artifacts. - Listen to dozens of LBJ's historic White House telephone conversations - Step into a replica of the Oval Office - Experience the president's decision-making process in interactive displays about the Six-Day War and Vietnam War - Discover how legislation signed by LBJ affects you today - Peek into Lady Bird Johnson's office and learn about her environmental efforts and White House Years ARCHIVES & MUSEUM COLLECTION The library houses more than 45 million pages, an extensive audiovisual collection, including more than 650,000 photos and 5,000 hours of recordings, and approximately 55,000 artifacts donated by the President and Mrs. Johnson, their family, friends, and the American people. THE STORE AT LBJ The LBJ museum store offers a selection of books, DVDs, and custom designed souvenirs that reflect the content of the library's permanent exhibition space and the life and career of LBJ.
West hartford, CT
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Absolutely a must!”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We had never visited a presidential library and truthfully were prepared for some dry history museum. I will begin by saying we will be visiting other presidential libraries soon. Maybe because these LBJ years were our college years and we lived the history, it is not surprising that the whole exhibit bought back a torrent of memories. From the JFK assasination to the Vietnam war to the music to the movies, everything was depicted perfectly. I guess we had no great admiration for LBJ because our memories were tainted by the negativity of the press. Only now can we look back at what was in the library to realize what a brilliant leader, compassionate man and tireless warrior for human rights LBJ was. Many of the exhibits truly brought tears to our eyes and many of the exhibits brought wide smiles and glowing warm memories. I think it would behoove young people of all ages to visit what real leaders and real government were like and what we should be seeking today. History is a wonderful teacher. This was certainly not a dull history museum.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank WH_VIP

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Des Moines, Iowa
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Blew my expectations out of the water”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Our 11 and 13 year old kids did not have the LBJ Library on their list of things to see in Austin. However, I had to almost drag them out so we could visit other sites. We were blown away by the LBJ Library and Museum. The kids enjoyed the interactive exhibits and the many items dedicated to describing the period of time he was in office. The adults in the group all said they learned alot about LBJ that they didn't know. Overall, a great experience for all of us. I would even go back again if I make a return trip to Austin.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Dan M
Philadelphia, PA
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“So Much More Than I Thought”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I have to give LBJ a lot more credit than I ever did. He enacted so many impressive pieces of legislation that through time he may gain in stature in spite of his relationship to the Vietnam War. Thanks to the artful way the LBJ Library was laid out, I was able to see the total picture of the man...how he changed his attitudes...how he was able to bully the best politicians...and how he became immersed in social reform. Through interactive exhibits, prior phone recordings (one with Bess Truman was a delight), and even a robotic "dummy" I was able to journey on his journey and oh what tragic/fun it was. There was good and bad throughout his political career and without this wonderful space, I wouldn't have had a clue. Thank you for a fine education in a facility that was peaceful, visually interesting and not overly demanding.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank LeahPhiladelphia_PA
San Francisco, California
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“wonderful education”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

This was a very interesting in depth look at LBJ. I loved where u could listen in on his conversations and hear him strong arming people into doing what they didn't want to. Surprisingly, we spent a few hours here. The library is in a rather ugly concrete box but the exhibits are interesting; I guess they are new. I even bought a pair of sunglasses from the gift shop. They say they are shatterproof, so far dropped them 7 times and no chips.

Visited October 2013
Champaign, Illinois
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Excellent for history of the LBJ era”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

The framed letters from Jackie Kennedy, Hubert Humphrey and the Smother's Brothers, were fascinating.

Visited December 2013