“Good deal during SXSW”

Ranked #11 of 39 Speciality Lodging in Austin
aluminium
“Good deal during SXSW”
Reviewed 30 March 2011

I stayed here for several nights during SXSW. For the price and amenities it was a very good deal, especially compared to the nearby discount national hotel stays. You pay by the week, so if you stay 4 nights or more it works out to a good deal compared to other nearby options.

This was my first stay at a Value Place. Since you're actually renting (becoming a tenant), there's a bit more paperwork then normal on sign-in. Similar to renting an apartment, they take a $100 deposit on your credit card which is returned after check out. My deposit was processed by my credit card company ~10 days after check out.

Since this is an extended stay apartment type place, there is no daily maid service or towel changes. Also, be warned that only the first roll of toilet paper is complimentary. I found that having no maid service during SXSW to be a plus, since it meant no one was disturbing you after a long night. Having a fridge in the room is also a plus so you can store your own food and make your own breakfast, etc.

Internet cost me $10 for the week. The internet is wired ethernet. The front desk lent me a cable for free.

The people that work the front desk are very helpful. I had no problem checking in very late when I first arrived.

Some small things could be improved. The window in the room only has a cheap aluminum blind that does not block out all the light. Also, as others have mentioned, the doors are not entirely soundproof, so you do hear some hallway noise occasionally (even then, there is not a lot of hallway noise).

Given the value proposition, I'm giving this Value Place 5 stars.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank aluminium

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Mississippi
Reviewed 14 February 2011

We stayed at the Value Place while traveling to see our son. We've stayed at several now and have really enjoyed them all. They are extremely clean and the management and staff are always friendly.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Austin TX
Reviewed 9 February 2011

This is absolutely the worst hotel that I've ever stayed! The walls are so thin between the rooms, you have no feelings of any kind of privacy.During the night, one can clearly hear every sound from the adjoining room, including, but not limited to; sex, alarm clock, cell phone ringing. cabinet doors being slammed, snoring and any other thing you can think of! During the day,the maintenance people are constantly knocking on the door about one thing or another. I would never stay at this hotel again or any other Value Place Hotel, and would not recommend anyone else staying here.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank atxdriver
Live Oak
Reviewed 29 September 2010

This Value Place was a little farther North in town than I was looking for but I'm cheap and I've stayed in several other VP's throughout the state and at least I know what I'm getting. Every one I've stayed in is recently new construction and the layout is always the same. Everything works the way it should. Everything is clean and new. Two cautions though... bring your own Ethernet cable and don't forget to give 24 hrs notice of intent to vacate if you're an extended-stay guest.

Leander, Texas
Reviewed 19 September 2010

The staff was pleasent and courteous. They went out of their way to get a room ready for me before the actual check in time. Even went as far as to replace the microwave because the manager did not like how it looked on the inside (tho i did not see anything wrong with it) and gave me a break on the room price as they were out of single rooms. Quiet neighborhood.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
Austin
Reviewed 18 September 2010

I am preparing for a long-term stay, so did some scouting of a variety of offerings to measure both financial and personal aspects. Economy was the main consideration after location.
PROPERTY_about one year old in September 2010, I find a high standard is being kept on maintenance and presentability
STAFF_I met Jen, and also Chris, and they are poised and hospitable, which is nice, since they are in the hospitality industry, and nice since I found that quality was lacking in some other places I visited, no matter the price range.
COMFORT_very good, with nice quality of furnishings, better than others in this price range..
ROAD NOISE_My first room is on the highway side. Yes, it faces onto the Interstate, however this section of the highway is flat and straight, so the traffic just flows with no big upsets. The vast majority of the time, I find the character of the noise is actually like background noise. The intensity is low, to the level it is not any trouble for watching TV, or even just sitting and reading.
NOISE FROM OTHER ROOMS_very good - virtually none.
"OTHER" - my needs are simple right now, so a clean 24/7 guest laundry is a nice touch.
TRICKY PART_what's nice on this review is I get to write on how they handle unpleasant situations. A noise problem from the room above mine started up, got handled immediately by the night staff, returned the next morning, and they managed to get the problem fixed without "ruffling any feathers" - very good skill levels.
High level of quality and skill - below average cost - this equates to them living up to their name - VALUE.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 16 September 2010

I have been staying at this hotel for 3 months now, and am happy to say...that I will continue my stay here for as long as I am in the area. The room, although there is nothing luxious about it, is comfortable and meets all my needs. The hotel is overall very quiet, although the doors to the rooms, are a little loud when they close, so if your neighbors come in late, you will hear them slam.

The staff here is very accomadating and very friendly anytime that I have dealt with them.

I also love the conveience of the highway from the hotel, I work downtown and this makes it very easy to get to work.

The price of the hotel is great, however I do wish they cleaned the rooms more often.