“Great Room, Different”

Ranked #144 of 201 Hotels in Austin
New Haven, CT
“Great Room, Different”
Reviewed 29 September 2010

New place. We had a petite suite - nice to have a tv in a separate area. Bed was great, bathroom wonderful (big tub, sep shower- a bit small), very clean, desk, nice couch, quiet (ask for room away from hiway), beautiful tiled area behind bed, empty small fridge to use (nice -not packed with overpriced junk). The window from the bathroom to the bedroom is a bit odd- I assume to improve 'visual flow/open-ness', but akward when sitting on the toilet, etc. There is a blind we had pulled down. I got the sense that the whole place suffered from iffy contractor(s) as there is obvious spackle messiness and paint mismatches around and there needs to be another piece of furniture or two in the lvg area and something else up on the walls there. Pool and hot tub and area very pleasant. Breakfast was basic.

Near the South Congress neighborhood (not close to dwntwn) but fine w/car. A bit clumsy getting there using the 1-way service roads alongside I-35 but easy once you figure it out.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank NewHavenTraveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 20 September 2010

The hotel worked great for a recent business trip - my Team was there for 4 days and while the hotel has a few rough the upsides were easily offset.
The Bartender did a great job keeping us happy and even though Austin has plenty of establishments to choose from we were content staying at the hotel a couple of nights and had great food as well.

I look forward to our next trip to Dr. Chen's Zen palace.....

Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 7 September 2010

I did a lot of searching online before I actually picked a room for our getaway. I must say I loved this hotel!!! The receptionist was really nice and let us check in at 2 (usual check in time is 3) after she called around to the other employees to check if was ready for us. The room was a great size! The bed was VERY comfortable AND THE SHOWER - well, it was perfect. It had that waterfall faucet and the usual faucet coming from the wall; AMAZING! The tub was the perfect size to lay in and enjoy a hot bath, which I did. I read comments about not being able to get hot water but we didn't have that problem at all! The generous sized flat screen was nice too. The only thing I didn't like was that our view was of an apartment complex but that really isn't a big deal. This hotel was the perfect location for us. Downtown is so close! Casulo is right off of I-35 so everything is easy to get to. I can't comment on the free breakfast because we stayed up so late, there was no way we could get up and be ready before 10. Also, I forgot my laptop so I don't know how great the free wifi is. All in all - we had a great 2 night stay and when we return to Austin, this will definitely be our first choice.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
el paso
Reviewed 24 August 2010

I stayed at the Casulo for one nite - - and that was enough. The noice coming from the atrium kept me up way to long. Didn't get enough sleep and it showed the next day.

Reception lacked much friendliness ad professionalism.

They forgot my wake up call.

Rooms are decorated nice - -but it is trying to be first class and it is NOT!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Austin hotels

Bastrop, TX
Reviewed 12 August 2010

My husband & I stayed @ the Casulo late July for the weekend. The hotel is new & clean & updated. The location is good, close to downtown Austin & all the action. A few problems... We had a petite suite. The shower door didn't have a strip or build-up to keep water from escaping. The carpet in living area got wet every time we showered. Shower is too small, could barely turn around. The decor was nice overall, but they seemed to be going for an Asian look but didn't take it all the way.There were a lot of small decor & construction issues that could have been better with some attention to detail.It has the feel of a project that ran out of money before completion. Internet was very sluggish & only worked part of the time. Bed was comfortable. Room was good size with loveseat & tv in sitting/living area as well as bedroom. We were on the 1st floor. It was noisy with staff moving around everywhere. Breakfast was complimentary, hot & sufficient, better than most hotels offer. Parking spaces very small in front. Curb appeal could stand some improvement. Overall nice stay but I doubt I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank txpeach63
Texas
Reviewed 8 August 2010

We stayed three nights and enjoyed this hotel very much. For the same price as other chain hotels, we are able to get a superior suite. When you also factor in the fact that Wifi is FREE at the Casulo, it makes it even more of a bargain. The suite was spacious with several seating options and chairs for reading. The bed was extremely comfortable and the dim-able lighting throughout the suite added a luxurious detail. The bathroom is enormous. Our room had a mini-fridge. The six foot tub is great for a hot bath and the shower area offers a wall mounted and ceiling mounted fixture. The pool is quite small, but we didn't spend any time there since Austin has so much to see and do. We did not try the hot breakfast or the room service, but observed others enjoying the food. One of the best aspects of this hotel is the location. It's true that the I-35 area in Austin should be avoided between 4pm and 6pm on weekdays, but we had no trouble navigating cross streets. The hotel's location made it easy to take Hwy 71 over to the Barton Creek Mall and Loop 1, and easy to get to downtown. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Texcursion
Tilden, Texas
Reviewed 2 August 2010

I have stayed in worse and I have stayed in better but I just plan liked it period. Nothing else to say.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family