“Comes up just a little bit short”
Review of Casulo Hotel

Casulo Hotel
Ranked #147 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 29 October 2010

Casulo offer clean, new rooms with comfortable beds, big bathrooms, tubs, flatscreen TVs, free breakfast (although no fruit), free wireless (although spotty in rooms), GREAT rates. However, there are just some missing details that take away from making it a great experience. There are no bottles of water or snacks in the room, towels are small and not very soft, the decorations in the room are sparse and seem funny (my room had a Chinese script wall hanging and then a framed picture of Jimi Hendrix on the other side), room service and on-site restaurant serve Chinese food ONLY, and doors/windows were not well sealed-- I heard every noise from the hallway and pool outside my room.
The location is pretty bad- it is right on the side of the freeway. A few exits from downtown Austin, but still, NOTHING in walking distance. You really need a car if you are going to stay here.
That being said, the rates are fantastic, I just don't think this is a 4 start hotel. The small details could easily be improved upon, but I will probably chose a hotel with more amenities and better location the next time I visit Austin, even if I do have to pay a little more.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank LAcurlgurl
There are newer reviews for Casulo Hotel

Reviewed 8 October 2010

Convenient location (about a 10 minute drive to the Convention Center in rush-hour traffic), staff was very friendly and the rooms were newly renovated/modern. Free breakfast as well. Can't really ask for more for the price!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 October 2010

Stayed here for a romantic night away from the kids and can't really fault the place. Had a Jacuzzi room which lived up to the pics on the website. The jacuzzi bath was wonderful and the bed (posturepedic memory foam according to the pleasant girl on the front desk) gave the best nights sleep ever. The room was spacious and spotlessly clean. Free breakfast was basic but acceptable. Pool was smallish but adequate. Close enough to the delights of town. Did I mention the bed.............?

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2010

New place. We had a petite suite - nice to have a tv in a separate area. Bed was great, bathroom wonderful (big tub, sep shower- a bit small), very clean, desk, nice couch, quiet (ask for room away from hiway), beautiful tiled area behind bed, empty small fridge to use (nice -not packed with overpriced junk). The window from the bathroom to the bedroom is a bit odd- I assume to improve 'visual flow/open-ness', but akward when sitting on the toilet, etc. There is a blind we had pulled down. I got the sense that the whole place suffered from iffy contractor(s) as there is obvious spackle messiness and paint mismatches around and there needs to be another piece of furniture or two in the lvg area and something else up on the walls there. Pool and hot tub and area very pleasant. Breakfast was basic.

Near the South Congress neighborhood (not close to dwntwn) but fine w/car. A bit clumsy getting there using the 1-way service roads alongside I-35 but easy once you figure it out.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank NewHavenTraveller
Reviewed 20 September 2010

The hotel worked great for a recent business trip - my Team was there for 4 days and while the hotel has a few rough the upsides were easily offset.
The Bartender did a great job keeping us happy and even though Austin has plenty of establishments to choose from we were content staying at the hotel a couple of nights and had great food as well.

I look forward to our next trip to Dr. Chen's Zen palace.....

Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 September 2010

I did a lot of searching online before I actually picked a room for our getaway. I must say I loved this hotel!!! The receptionist was really nice and let us check in at 2 (usual check in time is 3) after she called around to the other employees to check if was ready for us. The room was a great size! The bed was VERY comfortable AND THE SHOWER - well, it was perfect. It had that waterfall faucet and the usual faucet coming from the wall; AMAZING! The tub was the perfect size to lay in and enjoy a hot bath, which I did. I read comments about not being able to get hot water but we didn't have that problem at all! The generous sized flat screen was nice too. The only thing I didn't like was that our view was of an apartment complex but that really isn't a big deal. This hotel was the perfect location for us. Downtown is so close! Casulo is right off of I-35 so everything is easy to get to. I can't comment on the free breakfast because we stayed up so late, there was no way we could get up and be ready before 10. Also, I forgot my laptop so I don't know how great the free wifi is. All in all - we had a great 2 night stay and when we return to Austin, this will definitely be our first choice.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2010

I stayed at the Casulo for one nite - - and that was enough. The noice coming from the atrium kept me up way to long. Didn't get enough sleep and it showed the next day.

Reception lacked much friendliness ad professionalism.

They forgot my wake up call.

Rooms are decorated nice - -but it is trying to be first class and it is NOT!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business