“Yuck!”

Ranked #169 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Austin
“Yuck!”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This hotel could really use an overall makeover. The carpet was nasty, the walls needed fresh paint, the bathroom had black smudge marks all over the floor and don't get me started on the smell. When we first got there, there was no air circulating in the room, so it smelled like old bus seats. The waffle maker was broke, they ran out of cereal and was serving warm yogurt. This hotel experience left a very sour taste in my mouth, literally. Staff could not answer any questions about the hotel. Upon check in, they asked how many people, I told them three, I get to my room and there were only towels for two people, when I called the front desk and asked them for another set, the response was we always stock the room with two towels, so why in the heck ask me how many people? Geesh!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 17 April 2014

The room was smaller than I am used to, but the furniture, appliances, and fixtures were fairly new. The only thing keeping my review from being higher was the fact that I had to go through about 7 or 8 room keys because they kept getting demagnetized. Other than that, I had a nice stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Kristina H, Manager at University Inn Austin North, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Mr. Stan W,

Thank you for your review regarding your stay with us. I am so happy that you were pleased with your guest room accomodations. We are sorry you had problems with your guest room key and are happy that we were able to assist you in remedying the situation. We hope to see you again soon and thank you again for your stay with the Howard Johnson Austin North.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 9 April 2014

When searching for a hotel room for one night before my conference started, two Ho Jo's were on the radar in the discount category. This one was $20 more per night and had decent reviews, what I didn't look at was the age of the reviews. When traveling to Austin and looking for a cheap room, when it comes to this property I will give three words of advice... Run Forest, run!

Room Tip: The room that is in a different hotel is the best room to get.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Austin hotels

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed for a couple of days while attending the Lone Star Round Up. I wish I had checked TA first, we would have gone elsewhere based on everyones reviews. Booking.com showed this to be a nice place, ha!

The property although said the be remodeled is still outdated, the hallways smell and the back doors are messed up. One you can leave but not get back in, the other with a card reader remains unlocked all night!

Looking for ice...prepare for a long walk, we estimated it to be about 1/8 mile each way and slightly longer to the front desk. Ice machine and vendings are near the front, too bad if you in the back. The Hot Tub advertised was, you guessed it...closed.

The door to our room was jacked, still closed and locked but the jam was loose and the striker plate was way loose, locked and baracaded it at night.

Loud teenagers in the lot at night and party in the halls.

The TV is nice but really no selection on channels and the picture is dim. The in room mini fridge was nice and clean, great for our needs. The bed was very nice, clean and passed the 'black light test' (yes I have one of those). The bathroom floor was nasty and failed really bad, urine splattered all over found with the back light and obviously mop water was reused with no bleach. Requested extra towels, didn't get them.

WiFi was ok, not really fast and you had to keep signing in every few minutes.

Price was great, 2 nights for $130.

Wouldn't stay again, we'll plan better next time.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple