“Average Stay”

Ranked #31 of 200 Hotels in Austin
Wilton, Connecticut
“Average Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

Starting with the Positives: Located next to a huge shopping mall - lots of great shopping. Staff upon arriving was friendly and welcoming.

Negatives: The breakfast was sub-par (I got the oatmeal and it tasted like bland water, and my friend's breakfast was actually sent back - none of us were happy with it - and the coffee took almost 20 minutes to get to us), they didn't clean our room (I came back at 3:30pm and was surprised it wasn't yet done - I asked concierge to have it cleaned after 6pm when we were out to dinner and they never did), upon checkout the receptionist didn't even ask us how our stay was, a valet in the late evening is nowhere to be seen, and the hotel is quite far from the city.

My reason for the three stars and not less is that it did seem to be a very busy weekend for them.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Blueslady442
David G, General Manager at The Westin Austin at The Domain, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Blueslady442,
Thank you for your review. Regardless if we were busy or not, we didn't deliver the service and product either of us expect. I'm sorry!
I can only hope that we may have another opportunity to be your hotel of choice. If I can be of further assistance or if you would like to share more detail please reach out. I would appreciate the time.
Dave

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Slovak first
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

The location of this hotel is a classic case of build it and they will come. Someone decided to build a huge shopping area with some mixed shopping, from Burberrys to Macys. Throw in a few restaurants, a Starbucks, then build condos and hotels to service the shopping. The Westin is one of them. Decent prices, very clean. Nice atmosphere. The restaurant had extremely average food.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear jomomocomo,
Your spot on...build it and they will come. However, make sure you appreciate their business and learn from their feedback.
Extremely average food will not build repeat customers. We've just completed a menu refresh and all encompassing training on every item from preparation to service delivery. I believe you'll think it's better than average.
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

This property is directly across from the "trendy" shopping and restaurant area in Austin. Its within walking distance of about 15 wonderful restaurants for lunch or dinner meetings with clients, and the who's who in retail shopping is at your fingertips. The staff is friendly, the lounge is lively and the rooms are comfortable. Perfect place to stay!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear SFWolff888,
Thank you for staying at The Westin Austin at The Domain. We're glad you like the area and appreciate your review of the hotel and our service.
We look forward to seeing you again.
Central New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

We recently stayed here during one of my husband's business trips and we had a great experience. The hotel is is very clean and modern and the service was incredible. We were always greeted with a friendly face and the staff made us feel like we were at home. They even gave us a little bag filled with stuff for our 18 month old daughter (including rubber ducky for bath time, night light and electrical outlet covers to baby-proof room...so thoughtful!) The included breakfast buffet (Starwood Preferred Guests) was one of the best breakfast buffets we have ever had. It is a very nice location right outside the city with plenty of restaurants and shopping to walk to!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sbergs
Dear sbergs,
Thank you for the detailed and thoughtful review. Traveling with young children certainly presents its own challenges. I'm glad or preparation made your travel a bit less stressful and you were able to enjoy yourself.
We look forward to the opportunity to host you and your family again.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Was in town for a funeral in February 2014 and the hotel block was here. The room was nice, although ours smelled like remnants of an amorous couple (#351).

As this was a "wake" type of event, we spent a good amount of time at the bar, and the bartenders were great and quite happy to work with us. We also used the "lounge" area between the entrance and the elevators as a gathering location for our very large funeral party. It was absolutely fine.

Domain is a crazy-crowded development, but, that is Austin in 2014, I suppose. I walked to a Starbucks one morning and perused the shops. Plenty of restaurants, etc.

Hotel restaurant was pretty spendy, but probably not too bad for somebody on and expense account, which is likely the main demographic.

I'd stay here again, even with family (likely NOT their typical demographic).

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Weeb32,
We are sorry for the circumstances for your visit to Austin. Your review is appreciated and we appreciate the detail of your note.
We hope to be able to host you again when you have an opportunity to take in Austin on a happier occasion.
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

Below I listed the good, the Ok and the not so good. Let's start w/the positives --

The Good:
- The staff is great. They always are at Westins
- The lobby is nice
- Loads of parking
- Quiet rooms (even in the midst of SxSW, a party event)
- Big rooms, nice bathroom
- Wifi worked great
- Room service was served 24 hours, though I didn't partake

The OK
- Near a HUGE mall like area about 7-10 miles outside of downtown Austin
- The restaurant food was fine, nothing to write home about

The not so good
- It's not IN Austin central. You will need a car if you are planning to go into town at all. You can do a cab but I think it'd be too much back and forth.
- I was there 6 nights and 2 of them they didn't clean the room. When I asked about that upon checkout, they asked me if I was on an "Eco Plan". Since I had never heard of such a thing I said no. Maybe it was because it was busy with SXSW, or maybe it was because I was on a plan I didn't know about, but it was strange to not at least have the sheets straightened when I got back to the room late at night.
- The room smelled funny, like sweat. I got used to it after a few mins but it was there when I entered.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank mattyrozee
David G, General Manager at The Westin Austin at The Domain, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear mattyrozee,
Thank you for your detail review. We are working through you notes in an effort of continuous improvement.
DOG
Belmar, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Courteous staff. Clean. Decent sized room. Good restaurant. Decent location, but not near downtown. Reasonably priced even with SXSW in town. I would def stay there again and recommend to other business travelers.

Stayed March 2014
Good Morning J M,
We appreciate your review and your appreciation of our courteous staff. Maybe you can make in in for ACL this year.
Be Well,