“Great hotel, not so great location”

The Westin Austin at The Domain
Ranked #33 of 204 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 25 February 2011

Excellent hotel with great service and amenities. It's location is not very appealing though. It's located right behind the parking lot of a shopping area. I guess it must be nice to be there during the day but after work there is not much to do here.

If you're in Austin and want to have some fun in the evenings you'd have to find your way downtown.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank PaulArts
Write a ReviewReviews (1,134)

Reviewed 21 February 2011

We arrived in Austin planning to stay a couple of days and then drive on to San Antonio, but we loved Austin and this hotel so much we spent the rest of our trip here.

In our opinion this hotel was just perfect and we will definitely stay here again when visiting Austin. There have been a number of comments about the sound of room doors slamming but we didn't hear them at all - not even once in six days. Best of all the service was excellent - we felt that our custom really was valued and that the employees genuinely cared about creating the best experience possible.

The Domain itself is a good place to stay, lots of shopping and dining options right on your doorstep. It's not beautiful (so don't expect great views!!).

We'll be back!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Citydweller_222
Reviewed 26 January 2011

I am in the hotel industry and I like to critique a hotel when I stay in one. Recently I had the chance to go stay at this hotel with some friends. When we arrived there, I was amused by the location of the hotel. Following that was a hip yet relaxing check in reception. I was checked in by Chris, I must tell you this guy knows what he is doing. The entire check in experience made the first impression of this hotel A+. We enjoyed our stay, loved the decor and had lots of fun.
We also enjoyed the Bar Drinks that night and a young lady bar tender was very friendly and attentive. Overall the hotel stay was great and everyone at the hotel is doing a great job.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Talha S
Reviewed 1 December 2010

Incredibly convenient to nice shops across the street, especially a great Borders bookstore. Breakfasts were absolutely perfect and delicious, with many great options (we got a package that included the buffet). However, I really wanted a long hot bath after a grueling 30 hours of arid air travel, and they only had a shower, at least in our room. Also, unfortunately I'm dreadfully allergic to their "signature white tea scent" so will have to skip them next time.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CultureTraveller13
Reviewed 25 October 2010

Loved the lobby when we walked in to the hotel, check in staff friendly enough and we were looked after as soon as we walked in. Room was spacious and very clean. Our shower door leaked a bit the first time we used it but then we just pointed the shower head away from the door and the 'problem' was fixed!
I really liked the location, just across from Macy's and other shops/restaurants. Yogurt Planet was one of my favourites which has the most delicious frozen yogurt-lots of flavours and toppings to choose from-I think I have ever had!
We didn't use the pool although it did look very inviting (it was the weekend and there were loads of kids in there!)
There was no free WiFi in the room but when we needed the internet to check out a few things we just used the business centre by the lobby.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tomatovine
Reviewed 17 October 2010

Yes, there was a dog on our floor and it barked..!! When I mentioned this to the front desk at checkout I was told that no dogs were allowed on the 3rd floor ~ we were on the 3rd floor. Somebody dropped the ball on assigning our room. I had noted in my online reservation under 'special requests' that we wanted a "quiet room" and that just didn't happen! I would hope that hotels have certain rooms for guests who bring their dogs........rooms with no carpet and isolated from the rest of the guests.

Other than the barking dog, our stay was nice. It's a rather new Westin and modern in decor which we like. The Westin beds are the best..!! Just as other reviews mentioned, the shower was big and nice, but there was a puddle of water outside the shower door which could get dangerous if someone slipped, so take care if you stay here. Also, as previously mentioned the amenities were rather sparse being a shampoo, conditioner and two soaps........period!

The hotel is located in an upscale shopping center which also has condos sprinkled throughout, so it even feels a bit like a residential area.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SATgirlie
Reviewed 26 September 2010

This is the best hotel I have ever stayed at. It is beautiful, fresh, hip, clean, etc. Every employee I met was friendly and helpful. The food in the restaurant is great and the bar was always hopping. Across the street is a really nice outdoor mall and it is not far from Downtown Austin so it is in a very convenient location. I will stay at this Westin the next time I come to Austin.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business