“What is this?”

WoodSpring Suites Austin Aquarium
Ranked #129 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 10 November 2013

What is this place?

I am appalled at the treatment I have received at Value Place. My boyfriend and I relocated to Austin recently, and settling into new jobs we wanted a place to feel comfortable for a couple weeks until we moved into our new apartment. So, first off..we get there to check in around 7:30 pm after work. Tired and ready to get into our room and expecting to walk into an inviting atmosphere with a front desk and helpful receptionist to check us in, we enter into a cold dank hallway with nothing but a phone, a tv and a booth with a shut window. The hours of check in are the hours that most people are at work (and that makes sense how?), so after hours you have to dial an extension and wait for someone to get you into your room. I called the extension 10 times with no answer until after 30 minutes of sitting on their cold floor got a hold of a girl who got there 10 minutes later and was completely unapologetic. Finally after getting into the room, we walk into what looked like a college dorm room. Yes, I understand their whole philosophy of "you only pay for what you need", but I don't feel like I should have to pay for a room with no soap, one set of towels, no curtains, and a mattress made of sheet rock. The next day, I had a death in the family, my grandmother nonetheless, and had to leave suddenly to go out of town for the funeral. So, I called Value Place "customer service" to inform them of my situation and if I could check out for a couple says and then check back in. This lady, who completely lacked empathy or remorse tells me, "Well you can do that for a fee, but let me tell you Ma'am..this company don't care about deaths or any of those situations." I was horrified. Now we've been trying for 30 minutes to cancel our reservation for this next week over the phone and they don't answer. I feel like this is almost a joke. So they provide value? Yes. They give you the option of either buying or not buying their $40 pots and pans set. How very nice of them. Considering you'll be living in a cold lifeless box, I should've known the customer service would treat you like they treat their rooms..like nothing.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Courtpie7

Reviewed 3 September 2013

The A/C is very quiet - It goes on and off by itself.
It has a thermostat. Not bad at all. The TV who cares.
The Chairs are hard plastic. Lousy. The place is clean.
Housekeeping comes by every two weeks. Fine. The Bed is ok. It can be slept on. The Building faces East -
West and there is nothing but a white mini blind
covering the window. There is a Dawn Wakeup Call
every day.

And now we come to No Soundproofing At All. You are
inside a Drum. The Ceiling (from the floors below the
top floor) is a Tin Roof. You hear every step someone
above makes. And if they walk heavily it is a good
solid thumping that never stops. Got a Headache? It
will quickly become a Migraine. Take away the fool
LCD Screen and put in some mass loaded vinyl on the
walls and ceilings for Christ's Sake. Never mind how
good the furnishings look. Peace and Quiet beats a
shiny microwave any day. I can eat a sandwich; I
don't care. I would ****** for a quiet room after
2 weeks of solid thumping. Cheap Sure. But if you
want return business Get Quiet You Fools. Got
Hearing? I could write a book on Building Archi-
tecture And The Importance Of Sound Control.
Read It.

p.s. and I didn't even mention all the noise coming
through the walls from the side...

Room Tip: only the top floor
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank 779john779
Reviewed 20 March 2013

We stayed for a week during our visit to Austin. Everything was as expected upon check-in - bare bones facility, but that's all we needed. The issues we encountered, though, will make us think twice next time we book an extended-stay. 1) Expect some occasional dodgy, loud, profane types out in the parking lot. 2) Don't pay for the "high-speed internet." It is neither high-speed, nor reliable. The server went down on Friday and hadn't come back by check-out the following Monday. (They did cancel the charge when I called from home to go over the bill.) 3) Expect to pay an extra $7 for the initial linen service (pretty sure it was supposed to be included in the room rate, but whatever...) 4) Expect frequent wafts of cigarette smoke infiltrating your room from the corridors/outdoors/other units. So much for a "smoke-free" unit. 5) Don't get any stains on the sheets - expect to lose $20 of your deposit if you do (seriously???) 6) Don't expect any sort of comfortable mattress. Otherwise, this place worked out all right for our purposes but, again, I'll probably look elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 March 2013

We stayed for almost 3 weeks and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. It is a good location with many stores and restaurants within a short distance. The facilities are immaculately clean and there is real attention to cleanliness and security. I would solidly recommend this hotel to anyone needing an extended stay. We plan to return.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
LIPVP, Guest Relations Manager at WoodSpring Suites Austin Aquarium, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2013

Dear Valued Guest,
We would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. It is our gal everyday to have a clean and safe environment for our guest. I am most happy that we have been able to meet and exceed your expectations. We do hope that if you are in need of extended stay again that we will be your choice hotel.

Reviewed 10 February 2013

From the outside the place looks nice. The room was clean. The price is reasonable. My husband relocated to Austin for a job and chose this place because it was close to work. The first day we checked in you could here the people upstairs walking. I can understand hearing noise here and there but my goodness it was beyond bearable. We heard a thump every 10 seconds along with someone running. We call the front desk and the lady went to the room but the noise continued. Apparently the people had kids. There is constant noise whether its a kid running, a loud thump or yelling. We will not be staying here anymore.

• Stayed: January 2013
LIPVP, Guest Relations Manager at WoodSpring Suites Austin Aquarium, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2013

Dear Valued Guest,
I would like to thank you for your feedback on the hotel. We do apologize that noise was an issue during your stay. I am glad to hear that you found the property to be clean, safe, and the staff to be helpful. Unfortunatetly there are times when for one reason or another we do not meet your expectations. We use all comments and feedback as additional training tools for our staff...so we thank you again for your comments. I do hope that when in the area again....or other Value Place areas that you will give us another try. Thanks again

Reviewed 15 July 2012

Room was very clean, safe location. Small but still a great value for the whole week stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 June 2012

$30 to replace a pillowcase. YIKES! Had I known, I would have gone to Wal-Mart and bought one to replace the one that got messed up. Ridiculous! Especially when they buy them in bulk at a reduced rate.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo