“Good Resort for Golfers Only”

Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa
Ranked #51 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Sugar Land
“Good Resort for Golfers Only”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Visited this place for a 3 day weekend last month. The resort is very old and in need of urgent upgrade and maintenance. The elevators were under repairs and the whole place was very dark except their dining room. They charge you for resort facility and again $25 an hour for using the tennis courts. That is outrageous. They do provide a very good breakfast ( the only bright spot during our stay). I do not think I am going to stay again at this place.

Room Tip: Go only if you want to play golf in Austin.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank heatflux
BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Thank you for your gracious feedback on all aspects of your recent visit to the resort. I personally apologize for the inconveniences you experienced and would like to invite you to contact me directly at james.walsh@omnihotels.com to discuss further. We hope to have the opportunity to win back your business.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I am writing this review here to warn everyone that Omni has no idea what they are doing. I am happy that many reviewers have had a good experience, I am leaning towards believing the Terrible, Poor & Average reviews.
Having read the reviews about upcharges & other unpleasantries, i decided to call Barton Creek directly - the phone rings & rings then disconnects. Unfazed, I called the Omni toll free number. I get handed off to a "leisure expert at that facility-Susan". From the get go it was clear Susan was not a leisure expert, she was reading from a script in a monotone voice with no verbal clue of being willing to help.
I was calling to ask about details, specifically the difference between 2 different packages listed on the website, this was her answer;
"Well the first difference is the price and the second difference is whats included in the packages"
Seriously? Since I was looking directly at the website, had informed her I was looking at the web site, and started the conversation by saying, "I have questions about the information on the web site", maybe she could have been more willing to clarify.
I hope Omni and the manager at Barton Creek is reading this, (but given Susan's lack of willingness to be helpful & the negative reviews, it is unlikely they read or act on these) I will not be booking a golf outing for;
15 gentlemen from Dallas who would have stayed there for 4 days to play golf and celebrate.
It is clear that Omni thinks it is too important to work a little for a customers business. Like many high falutin hotel chains, their philosophy appears to be, "We are the big important chain, you are lucky we are here. Now be happy with whatever we throw your way"
I am taking my buddies to the Four Seasons. They answered the call on the 4th ring, answered my questions and booked the outing in the time it took me to write this review.
All I needed to hear over the phone was a willingness to be helpful and Omni Barton Creek would have had a banner business.
If you are reading positive reviews here about Barton Creek - BEWARE! The troubles start with the first phone call.
Thank you Four Seasons for teaching Omni how it should be done.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Thanks for taking the time to provide a candid review. I personally apologize for the inconveniences you experienced and would like to invite you to contact me directly at james.walsh@omnihotels.com to discuss further. Again, thank you for your feedback and I hope we'll have the opportunity to make things right and win your business.
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 5 October 2013

There are plenty of nice things to write about this property - but my favorite "feature" was the buffet breakfast. Without a doubt, it is the best buffet option of any hotel in which I've stayed ... fantastic variety, super fresh and had extras like a made-to-order omelet station. Otherwise, this property offers a pretty view of Hill Country (ask for a room with a balcony facing the back side) and obviously is attractive for golfers with all of the courses. The spa is nice (though a bit pricey) and has lovely products (some of which are in the guestrooms as well). With all the property here, surprised there is no running trail - but that's about the only thing missing. Staff is friendly and helpful - especially the valet guys. Only minus is the traffic - which can be bad at times if headed downtown as the property is obviously a bit removed from the hot spots.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay with us! We're pleased to hear you enjoyed our resort amenities and excellent service by our team members. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I was in town on business and the company put me in this resort as it was close to the meetings. There were a number of positives, but also a few negatives.

Positives
Friendly front desk personnel and quick service
Big room and bathroom. Both were very clean.
Friendly and helpful woman in the hotel convenience store. It was open before 7:00am which meant I could get my coffee.

Negatives
From the moment you pull into the resort, you feel like they are after your money. $25 for valet and the self-park garage is a five minutes walk away. The valet parking area had numerous spaces open, but you were not allowed to park there.

Thought about having lunch at the resort, but they wanted $17 for a sandwich.

The free internet was very slow. For full speed internet, it was $15. I know all the top hotels charge for internet, but if the Hampton Inns and Comfort Inns can provide it free, why not the top hotels. Pet peeve of mine.

I entered and left the hotel a number of time over the two days I spent there. (Had to eat elsewhere due to the cost of the hotel restaurants). On the first day, the valets and bell hops were all gathered around the front door basically ignoring the guests. No greeting, no offer of help with the bags, did not even open the door. The second day it was much better.

Overall, this hotel was nice. I am sure at one time it was considered a luxury resort. It is beginning to look a little dated. If you are going to charge the prices they do, the service and amenities should be first rate and it was not during my stay. The hotel should treat the customers as people they want to return, not cash machines.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your gracious feedback on all aspects of your recent visit to the resort. We appreciated the feedback on the areas that were enjoyed along with the items noted for improvement. I personally apologize for the inconveniences you experienced and would like to invite you to contact me directly at james.walsh@omnihotels.com to discuss further.
Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

The green is what stands out to me during our stay. Its a very green friendly place with the calmness that you would need in order to feel re-energized with great vibes from nature. The service and the staff is very supportive and will help you find local events going on in Austin, like live music, or perhaps a sunday funday venue with a great vibe to balance the weekend! Will come back!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank felipeinspires
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I have visited the Barton Creek Resort for 3 separate events over the past few years and I have enjoyed the experience each time. The event space has lower ceilings than I am used to, but still a standard height. The foyer outside of the presentation/conference rooms is gorgeous. It has plenty of windows which feels the area with natural light and a view overlooking a perfectly groomed golf course.

The rooms are nice, spacious, clean, up-to-date. The hotel staff is always helpful. On this past trip the concierge, Adam, was over-to-top helpful--kudos to him.

They also have a couple of outdoor or at least open air spaces that can be used for evening receptions which provides a welcome change of scenery. If you are looking to leave the property, we found that cabs the city center were about 80+ RT.

I would definitely recommend this resort for events. However, if I was on holiday in Austin I would prefer to stay closer to the city center.

Room Tip: I would request a room with a balcony and a view of the pool/golf course. My last visit I had a corn...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Leslie_Venetz
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 30 September 2013

My husband and I went there for a few days and here are our observations. The resort is huge! The location is amazing! The service is hovering, on the verge of annoying. You must valet park for $25 a day or park about 3 blocks away. The room was large (we were not in the towers, which I understand is better) but the bathroom is tiny. No place to put anything and the shower grout was degrading.

We had good service at the bar and good service at the spa, (I had a massage). However, even with the "Do No Disturb" sign on our room, the staff kept coming in the room. The first time, I was in the shower and when I came out of the bathroom, staff had left extra toilet paper on the floor right outside the bathroom. Yes, I was freaked out. The next night they came in again and left a book on the bed from the group we were with. This should have been left at the front desk.

We called the front desk and the manager offered to move us to another room. Not sure how that would have helped if the same staff were going to ignore the wishes of the guests. We were very upset and we left the hotel early and cut our weekend short. I sincerely hope that not all the Omni's are like but I will likely avoid booking at another Omni Resort.

Room Tip: I understand that the towers have better rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Lakeway Resort and Spa
#2 of 202 in Austin
W Austin
W Austin
#17 of 202 in Austin

Been to Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!