“OK hotel with room to improve and promise”

Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa
Ranked #54 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Booked here for a conference. Here is the good stuff, followed by the not-so-good stuff. For your reference, I am in room 343.

Good: Nice staff. Professional. Helpful. Nice kids and professionals. The food is pretty good too. A little pricey, especially since you are essentially held captive here because of the hotels remote location (cost $38 including tax to get to downtown Austin, and the shuttle that cost $20 plus tip is not readily available. Yesterday, the shuttle was booked for hours). Back to the food – good. Again, good server service levels. The abstract hallways and walkways are charming but not easy to navigate. Even with the good signage. Kind of like a free visit to the Winchester Mystery House.

Not-so-good: The opportunity for improvement is improving some of the basic stuff, like calibrating the clock to the right time (it’s about 15 minutes ahead), and then when daylight savings time hit last night, at least pushing back the big hand. I tried to do it myself, and feel I am clock proficient. I could not see anything that allowed me to changed time. And then fixing the base of the shower control. It is loose. Kind of gross. I am waiting for cockroaches to come out while I am asleep to choke me. The shower head is the worse I have seen since I was forced to stay at the hotel 6. Either super strong and too narrow, or too wide to do any good. I tried to fix it. The shower curtain is sufficient. Two showers, and I am still leaving lots of water on the floor. I cannot seem to find a way to tuck the shower curtain in enough. Plus, the tub is slippery. The traction on the tub is too soft to do any good anymore. The wired internet connection tab is broken. The furnishings are routine and older, even for a resort and spa meant to be seasoned. Not the sort of amenities you would expect for a resort for this pricing. Much better rooms at an older three-star Hilton.

The extra blanket has spots on it – kind of gross. But at least it smells clean. Pillows are tired. So soft and ultimately thin that it cannot keep my knees from touching.

Here are a couple of things that are irritating: a tip of 20% is automatically added to room service and restaurant bills. (The room service tip is in addition to a routine room service charge). And I was dining on my own – not in a group in those occasions. Now, I would probably add 20% anyway because the service is better than average. But it is presumptuous and does not provide for any accountability of service levels. And I probably would not tip room service 20% unless they dropped in for free some type of dessert. And then, the thermostat cannot be read. Numbers way too small. I wear glasses, and can read most small type. The 80 looks like 60 and visa versa and the 70 is in the middle. No idea where I was going when I turned the dial. Finally, the biggest issue: Internet connection too slow. It is free. But I would rather pay for a very strong signal. Very frustrating and unproductive connection. Not cool for a resort and spa in today’s world.

I did not expect to write more negative than positive, so that took me off guard. I will share with management. But Omni acquired this hotel a year ago. Let’s hope they have big plans to update the room ad technology. I would stay again if the conference was here again. But on my own, I would stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Both sides of the hotel have similar views. Higher floor is better than lower in this case - better...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Thank you for your gracious feedback on all aspects of your recent visit to the resort. We appreciated the feedback on the areas that were enjoyed along with the items noted for improvement. I personally apologize for the inconveniences you experienced and would like to invite you to contact me directly at james.walsh@omnihotels.com to discuss further.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

We had a 3 bedroom house, very well decorated, supplied and maintained. Extremely quiet. Great choice of golf courses to play, great conditions, challenging, scenic, lots of wildlife. Did not make tee times more than a couple of days in advance and was surprised in October how busy the courses were. Was hard to get tee times, but still managed to play 5 out of 7 days. Bringing more family next time we come in June.

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay with us! We're pleased to hear you enjoyed our resort amenities and excellent service by our team members. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Overall, this is a very nice resort. My wife and I just finished a stay there. A couple of tips:

1. Get a package that includes breakfast (we had a AAA package that included breakfast for only $10/night more). The breakfast buffett is very good and is usually something like $30. They have an omelet station, fresh fruit, cereals, eggs, waffles...basically everything you could want for breakfast.

2. Ask for a room with a balcony in the tower on the back of the hotel. This was an upcharge of $20/night for us. For us, it was well worth it. We enjoyed having the 'open air' view. The balcony is small, and doesn't have chairs, but it's still great to stand out there and enjoy the beautiful hill country view.

3. The fitness center is also very nice. This resort is also a country club so there are a variety of personal trainers if you are interested. They have an indoor and outdoor pool.

4. They have an outdoor "putt-putt' course that is killer. It's really fun, with some very interesting holes. My wifte and I had a blast. She had an unbelievable hole in 1 on the 18th hole. There should be an award for that.

5. We had dinner at the resort at the Wine Bar and Grill. Very good and comfortable.

6. The golf courses are excellent. I played the Fazio Canyons course. Make sure to get a package deal - saved me $50 off the greens fees.

The only downside to this resort and the reason it didn't get 5 stars is because it is somewhat dated. It is a bit challenging to get around. Many very odd corners, lots of stairs and confusing. Even with that, we will come back on our next trip to Austin. It was very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Tower Room on back of hotel with balcony. The view is great!

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Visited this place twice, and each time it's wonderful experience. Especially recommend their bread pudding provided in lunch buffet. They also provide good facilities for meeting. The view from the top is gorgeous too!

Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Husband and I spent a much needed weekend at the beautiful property. The room was beautiful and big. We were at the very end of the hall, so it was very quiet. I got a manicure with Angie and she does a great job! Everyone was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Reviewed 28 October 2013

It was an absolutely beautiful hotel and would recommend it to friends and family. The staff service was superior and the location was ideal. Stayed here due to wedding, but was satisfied beyond my expectations.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 28 October 2013

I stayed 3 days for a business conference in Oct 2013. The resort is nice and the golf course excellent. Customer service was a little spotty for a property that markets itself as a top shelf resort. My room had a patio but no view because it was surrounded by a 12 foot high brick wall. Why have a patio if all you can see are brick walls?

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Lakeway Resort and Spa
#16 of 201 in Austin
W Austin
W Austin
#17 of 201 in Austin

Been to Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!