“Great Golf Trip experience”

Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa
Ranked #55 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 26 April 2010

Stayed here 4 nights on a golf package with a small group of friends. This was our first trip to Barton Creek and the experience was good enough that we would consider returning in a future year. The resort seems to do a robust group and wedding business based upon our stay, but the near constant presence of groups / events did not negatively impact our experience at all as they had the staff and space to accommodate everyone's needs. We had the benefit of a discount though a member so that may have impacted our perception of value - but compared to similar level resorts, we didn't feel that we got gauged at all save for a few nickel and dime things.

Rooms: are reasonably spacious (separate vanity outside of bath, larger than average closet and high ceilings all add to a sense of openness / space). I don't know if this is universally true, but odd number rooms seemed to have the better views from among our sample of 6 rooms.

Resort Amenities: The fitness facility was well equipped (cardio, free weights and weight machines all reasonably new, plus an aerobic studio, elevated running track and full access to a nice locker room (showers, steam , whirpool, lockers). Spa services were expensive, but in-line with what we've paid at similar resorts. Business center / services: There is a reasonably equipped business center and a couple of terminals to print out boarding passes, etc.. The internet connection fee / service was disappointing -- wireless access isn't available in some areas where you'd like it to be and there is a premium charge for broadband.

Dining: We did not eat dinner on property, but the lunch experience between rounds of golf was characterized by good food and service. The off-lobby lounge is a nice feature -- relaxing place to catch the end of a game on several TV's or play a game of pool while having a pre or post dinner drink. The lounge atmosphere was lively and fun for a suburban resort setting. Our package came with a daily breakfast buffet included: the buffet was extensive and the service excellent.

Golf: There are 4 courses that are associated with the resort; 2 directly on site; 1 that is about 2 miles down the road and a 4th that is close to 40 minutes drive. It is not the case that there are 1 or 2 premium courses and some duds -- any one of them is a very good experience. The policies with respect to course access and advance tee times (they rotate which courses are available for resort play from day to day) are less accommodating than other golf resorts we've visited. If you come for a short stay and have your heart set on playing a particular course -- that could end up being frustrating, but our stay was long enough that we were able to play all 4 with only modest compromises from our ideal schedule.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
walshaust, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2010

The resort sincerely appreciates this very gracious review regarding our overall offering to everyone who loves the Game of Golf. The Resorts top courses, considered by many great publications, as the Top Courses one can play in Texas, do alternate for play each day with respect to the incredible local Full Membership we have been proud also to serve for the past two decades. Ben Crenshaw and Bill Coore did an amazing job on their course for us in 1991 and the great Arnold Palmer did a masterful job in 1986 on the Palmer Lakeside Course which we acquired in 1993. Come tee it up and also try out our new "state of the art" Callaway Performance Center opening June 5th, 2010

Write a ReviewReviews (2,168)

Reviewed 22 April 2010

This was my first time at the Barton Creek Resort and Spa for a conference. I was impressed first of all by the location the as soon I saw the grounds. After a long flight and not feeling well. One particular staff member went above and beyond to ensure I was taken care of and their effort was not only appreciated but also genuine. Since that one staff member made me feel comfortable what seemed to be a not so good trip melted away and I had a wonderful time at the conference. I had my first facial which was a great experience everything was relaxing and the staff were very professional. When I do get married I know where I'm going to have my honeymoon. I wish I knew how to play golf because from my room balcony I saw the beautiful golf courses and landscape. Unfortunately, I didn't have a long time to stay because I wanted to walk the paths and trials. Next time i'll stay longer.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
walshaust, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2010

I love reading these accounts of how our loyal associates go above and beyond to take care of our guests while they are with us at their home away from home....it is the very essence of the culture that I know Barton Creek lives up to each and every day. Come see our amazing new Facial Treatment Rooms and Tranquility Relaxation Room in the Spa featuring a natural Limestone Wall which has been carefully created over the past two decades......it is amazing!!!!!

Reviewed 15 April 2010

Wow. What a rip off!!! This hotel was very expensive and had poor service except for the bartenders and a couple of servers. They charge $22+ daily for the resort fee and add outrageous tips to food and beverage. It is NOT a 5 star resort. Old a/v in the rooms and crappy towels. And be prepared for the worst check in and out ever. Slow and useless.

If you like golf and don't care about the rooms, amenities or service, this is your place. The Canyons was gorgeous.

We were there for a CEO Conference and won't be back. The meeting rooms were so over-air conditioned people got hypothermia.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
jfcwalsh, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2010

The resort extends its apologies to this past guest who was here with a terrific group of fellow guests recently. We continue to work on ensuring that the check-in and check-out process is as expedient as possible and that we work with our meeting planner with groups on the correct temperature for their meeting rooms. Delighted to see the favorable feedback on food and beverage service along with praise for the acclaimed Fazio Canyons Course. Overall this Group client was very pleased with their overall experience at the resort, I would welcome the opportunity to extend this past guest a personal invitation back to the resort as my guest.

Reviewed 10 March 2010

I recently stayed at Barton Creek Resort on a trip to Austin, Texas. We needed a room for three oersons, with for several family members to participate in last days of life hospice meeting. I cannot overemphasize the thoughtful and kindness with which we were treated by the entire staff. We were given a wonderful room, light and airy with lovely hill country view. An extra bed was provided at no charge. The staff called us by name and were mindful of our situation and attentive to our every need. I plan to stay there often in the future and heartily recommend this hotel/resort to anyone for business, leisure, or family gatherings.

Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
jfcwalsh, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2010

Thank you for such a gracious response complimenting the sincerity and genuine kindness expressed by the employees at Barton Creek. It is always our pleasure.

James (General Manager)

Reviewed 3 March 2010

This is a wonderful place to spend as much time as you want. Lots of things to do if not playing golf. Shopping malls nearby and Austin very close as well.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
jfcwalsh, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2010

Thank you for writing. We are so excited about the many incredible upgrades we are doing at the resort currently, the addition of 32 pieces of "state of the art" Precor Cardio equipment in the Fitness Center, the creation of our new Spa Relaxation Room with views of natural limestone created beneath ground level over the past couple of decades, a new 3,850 sq foot patio overlooking the accclaimed Fazio Foothills Course and "Eliza's ; a new Ladies Boutique, located off the main resort lobby. Come see us. James

Reviewed 28 February 2010

My husband & I spent 2/19 & 2/20 at this beautiful resort! He golfed & I hit the spa & we were both VERY happy! We can't wait to go back in the spring/fall as I know the grounds will be beautiful! I can't think of anything negative to say about this place. We loved it! Every staff member was extra friendly & Brooks at the front desk is the most professional "young" man I have encountered in a long time. What an asset he is! Check it out, you won't regret it!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your gracious note regarding Brooks who is one of the best of the best I have worked with over the past 23 years here. With a team of individuals like Brooks, we are able to excel in the area of personalized guest service. James

Reviewed 23 February 2010

We just returned from several days at the Barton Creek Resort and Spa in Austin booked through GTAHotels.com. GTAHotels is based in Turkey, so we had a 3% foreign currency transaction fee on our credit card but GTAHotels was very helpful answering our emails regarding details of booking. The resort fee was included in our rate. Before we arrived Barton Creek was also very helpful in answering our questions regarding our reservation. We were greeted with a handful of (real) deer in the front yard on the night of our check-in-very charming. Our entire stay was wonderful, with an unparalleled hot breakfast buffet with omelet station, a spotless fitness facility with every machine and weight you could ever wish for, a beautiful indoor pool (also an outdoor pool but weather was too cold to use), a spectacular view from our room and an entire resort filled with staff that was helpful and friendly at every turn. We had a small problem with our huge in-room flat screen TV one day and it was solved immediately. Barton Creek runs a first class operation and we will return there again. We do not golf, but I can say the courses looked fabulous and immaculate—as did the entire facility. It is rare to have a resort fulfill all your expectations and impossible to have one that redefines your expectations. Barton Creek did that for us—not a single weak point to report. The mini-bar is key operated so there's little chance of error. You'll need a car to get to Austin, but you'll end up spending more time than you planned to at this exquisite place. In-room internet is $10 additional per day if you want it, but your first 15 minutes in the Business Center is free each 24 hour period. Our check-out was as quick and smooth as check-in. If this is considered a five star resort, we give it 6 stars. GTAHotels is based in Turkey, so we had a 3% foreign currency transaction fee on our credit card but GTAHotels was very helpful answering our emails regarding details of booking. The resort fee was included in our GTAHotels rate.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BHWarch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Hotel Granduca Austin
#8 of 202 in Austin
The Driskill
#28 of 202 in Austin
W Austin
#19 of 202 in Austin
South Austin
Omni Austin at South Park

Been to Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!