“Wedding weekend in July for our 30 year old son!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of W Austin

W Austin
Ranked #19 of 200 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Austin, Texas
“Wedding weekend in July for our 30 year old son!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

We would highly recommend The W in Austin as a hotel of choice to block rooms for out of town wedding guests. We are from Austin and wanted our guests to get a taste of fine city by being in the heart of downtown. The age group of our guests were late 20's, early 30's and we were looking for something a little more hip, new and modern. We rented the "Wow" suite for our son, the groom, so that he would have a place to entertain his groomsmen and other guests. It worked out beautifully. The hotel was most accommodating to all of our needs for the weekend and our guests reported that the hotel was a perfect choice. The pool area and hotel bars were so fun, that they hardly ventured too far from the hotel. The staff was joy to work with every step of the way, making sure our guests were comfortable. We give the W Austin an A+.

Room Tip: They were too busy with wedding events to use the spa. I've heard it's wonderful too!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Carole, thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I am so pleased to hear that you wedding group enjoyed their time at the hotel, and that you enjoyed our facilities. Congratulations on your son's wedding, we look forward to welcoming you all back soon!

Warm Regards,
Drew McQuade

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in July. We travel a lot, for business and for pleasure, sometimes with our children. If you are young, childless and very cool, and not in Austin for business, you will love this hotel.
We booked a "wonderful" room. The room is very attractive, and the bed is quite comfortable. The room is tiny, with no chest of drawers, and a small closet. There is no bathtub. When I called to ask if we could get a room with a tub, I was told that the only non-suites available with tubs were the 2 queen rooms, which were 100 square feet smaller than our room. I had to laugh, as I literally cannot imagine a smaller room than the one we stayed in. The safe would not open after we closed it, and security had to come up and open it for us to get our wallets out. The "oversized" desk is not very practical, as the television is on it. I don't see how you could actually do work on it.
I realize this is picky, but how can a hotel like this, whose motto is "whatever/whenever," not offer free wi-fi? Come on guys, don't nickel and dime us like this.
The room confirmation said the room has a "chaise," which is actually a chair. It also promises a "walk-in," which I assumed means a walk-in closet. No walk-in closet. When I called to ask the front desk what our promised "walk-in" is, they had no idea. The website says this room could accommodate 4 people. I don't see how. It has a king bed, with no sofa. But the room was quiet, and the bed comfortable. Seems like you might get more for $359 in Austin.
The lobby and bar are beautiful, hip, and very popular. If you like beautiful people, this is the place for you. On a quiet Sunday night, we sat next to an internationally famous movie star in the bar.
The location cannot be beat. Near Town Lake, cool shopping, terrific restaurants and bars.
The spa is outstanding. I had one of the best massages I've ever had there. It took the staff a while to figure out how to make the steam work, but eventually they got it.
I wouldn't return for business, unless I planned not to work in the room. And I can't imagine staying here with children. The lobby, hallways and elevators are very dark.

Room Tip: Our "city view" room was over a parking lot, looking at construction. But it was very qui...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Hello, thank you for your recent review of your stay at the W Austin. I appreciate your feedback. I would very much welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay with you further in order to learn more about your stay. I would like to share your feedback with my team as requests specific to tubs, storage space, accessing the Internet complimentary in our Living Room spaces, and safe access are important guest issues to us and we want to make sure you know that we understand travelers needs and that our amenities are clearly communicated upon check-in, to ensure a seamless and stress-free stay. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your massage at the AWAY Spa. I can be reached at 512-542-3633 or drew.mcquade@whotels.com

Thank you for your time.

Warm Regards,
Drew McQuade
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

This hotel is typical W class.
Very nice pool, great service and overall nice experience.
FYI: Water presser and shower head a bit weak.
Parking cost $29 per night and wifi not free. Very expensive for such a expensive rate to begin with.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Porfiriopicante
Austin, Texas USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

Stayed at the W in Austin for our anniversary. Plush modern hotel with a great vibe and tremendous service. The hotel is located in the heart of downtown Austin, right next to city hall and the Austin City Limits facility. It is also walking distance to the warehouse district with all of it's great bars and restaurants.

We liked the hotel so much though we spent most of our time there. The Secret Bar on the ground floor rocked at night. It was packed with a friendly and great looking younger crowd. Our favorite spot though was the pool with it's hip ultra modern layout. Reminiscent of pools at Vegas hotels it had a great bar and even has cabanas surrounding it for those who want a little more space and or privacy in which to party.

The best part of the hotel though was the great service we received from the entire staff. They worked hard to make sure every detail of our stay exceeded our expectations. Even with such a tremendous staff one person still stood out from the rest. Our waitress by the pool Brittany was attentive even under very busy conditions on Saturday and even more so when things were slower on Sunday. She was informative giving us some great tips on the local area, she was also prompt, professional and kind. Even though we had only mentioned that it was our anniversary in passing conversation she took it upon herself to bring us a complementary bottle of champagne later in the day. It was a wonderful gesture and it really made our afternoon. Thank you Brittany...you ROCK!!

We also enjoyed our room with its modern clean style. The beds were comfy and the shower was big, clean and hot! Not a whole lot we would change about the W. More room in the Valet area when pulling our car in would be about the only thing I would improve.

One last note...even though they are open to children at this hotel if you have kids I recommend you go elsewhere. The W is a youthful upscale hotel the lends itself more towards young hip professionals than it does to a family with children. Not sure they would be comfortable in the pool are with it's bar and party atmosphere. There are plenty of other hotels nearby the are much more family friendly that I would explore. Barton Creek Resort and Spa is an upscale spot that has more for kids.

Thanks W and special thanks to Brittany for making our weekend perfect!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

Stayed here a couple times. Always enjoyed the room and twice had the same bartender, "Jonny" at the secret bar. Really made my stay worth it. I recommend this W and stop by and order a couple drinks from Jonny! You can't go wrong with this place.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

I recently visited a friend staying at the W Hotel. We spent the afternoon at the pool, and I want to commend Susan Holeman and Teddy Crimmins for providing excellent customer service while we were there.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

W Hotels have a unique vibe and aren't for everyone, but if you take it for what it is, this hotel is pretty awesome. The rooms are well designed, clean and have the famously comfortable W Hotel bed. I spent most of my day at the outdoor pool and cabana area on the fourth floor, which can get pretty busy but was pretty tame since it was a weekday afternoon. The location is great too if you are looking for a good base for a night out on the town.

Stayed September 2011, travelled solo