“Everything small in Texas!”
Review of W Austin

W Austin
Ranked #17 of 202 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Whistler, Canada
“Everything small in Texas!”
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Overall this was very average W - it lacks some the localized themes/charm the other Ws have managed to incorporate in their decor.
Apparently, I got "upgraded" to a 325 square foot room. Very ironic, espcially for Texas. The W seems to be the only hotel in Texas to use European sized rooms. Everything in this hotel seems cramped, the lobby, pool and and dining area.

The hotel is ok for wear due to the fact it's new but I'd wish they cleaned up more after the weekend parties. I'd check out the Driskill if you want a more authentic Austin experience.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, 4 April 2013
Helo Juraj, thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. We appreciate your feedback regarding our room size, and apologize for any cramped feeling you experienced. I would very much like to learn more about your stay and especially any cleanliness issues you observed. I can be reached directly at drew.mcquade@whotels.com or 512-542-3633. Thank you again for your feedback, and I look forward to connecting.

Drew McQuade

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Had a great stay at the W Austin over the weekend. Rooms are very nice, modern style. Bars downstairs are all very cool with live DJ and packed so definitely one of the more popular spots in Austin. Service was excellent all throughout the stay. I was in a rush when I left and forgot to take my shirts from the closet. I called back and straight away Owen went up to the room, found the shirts and fedexed to me all at no charge. All done withing 10 minutes - excellent service. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Lake view was great
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Philadelphia
Reviewed 30 March 2013

I've stayed at the following Austin hotels all within the last four years: The Four Seasons, The Stephen F. Austin, The Hyatt and The Driskill. This week I had the pleasure of staying at the W which will no doubt be my hotel of choice going forward when visiting this great city. The service was spot-on in all respects: attentive without being overbearing, from the bellman to the concierge to the valets to the bar staff. The vibe of the hotel is great but it's still appropriate for business meetings and plenty of peace and quiet can be had in the beautiful rooms. I had a lakefront "spectacular" room which was furnished in the typical W modern style. It was adequately spacious with great features such as a high-end iphone charger music player (e.g. not "I home"), a beautiful subway tile shower with shaving mirrors built in and a well stocked mini bar. A great 42" flat screen and I loved the black and white photo of Willie Nelson jogging in a race in our room. The bar was great for drinks and dinner; the location is ideal as you are plenty close to Austin's nightlife but removed enough for quiet and access to Lake Austin's jogging trails. Great free coffee in the AM and reasonably priced breakfast tacos and pastries to go (it's nice not being forced to eat in a high-end restaurant. My biggest regret: we only had one night!

Room Tip: Lakefront is a great option.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mickshrimpton
Reviewed 30 March 2013

This hotel has a convenient location and friendly service. Unfortunately the decor is awful and the lighting is even worse. Our suite was undersized with most creature comforts squeezed in except for drawers or adequate closet space to store your clothes. Hopefully they will fix this the next time they renovate.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 29 March 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay here more after the weekend ended. Too many bachelor and bachlorette parties, I felt like I was on spring break. Unable to enjoy the pool since it was crowded, loud and dirty from miscellaneous drink spills and I'm sure other gross things. It had a brown tint that reminded me of a watered down rum and coke. I wish there was another option for guests that didn't want that experience. I came wanting to relax and sip a few cocktails, maybe read a book. Not happening here. The room was standard in regards to what I would expect from a w property. I really appreciate that they did put us in a quieter room which we requested. Overall, the room was nice I just wish it was a little more relaxing. They did overcharge us (2000 in deposits for a 2 night stay) . We are still waiting to e credited back. The manager was nice in helping resolve it. However, it took time out of our vacation, and we had to speak to multiple employees who were unable to help us before connecting with him to resolve the issue. Just a hassle that I would have preferred not to deal with.

• Stayed March 2013
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, 4 April 2013
Hello, and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. My apologies that our WET Deck was unable to provide the relaxed atmosphere you were wanting. In the future, my team would be happy to share other relaxing poolside locales near the hotel as well as suggest hours where the WET Deck may be less of a party atmosphere. I do want to ensure that your billing issue is dealt with, so would very much appreciate a follow up should you not have been credited back yet. Our director of rooms, Joanna McCreary can be reached at 512-542-3632 to assist with the credit. My apologies that you had to spend time dealing with this while on vacation. Thank you again for your feedback, and should you choose to visit again, would love the opportunity to personally assist with your reservation. I can be reached at drew.mcquade@whotels.com or 512-542-3633.

Reviewed 26 March 2013

I asked to extend my stay by one night. They told me it would be one price but the next day when I was out at a meeting they called me to say that I could not have that rate and that I would need to come and remove my things from my room. Horrible experience. Will never go there again.

Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Michellescrib
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, 4 April 2013
Hello and thank you for your review of the W Austin. My sincerest apologies for the miscommunication on my team's part in regards to extending your stay. We do our best to accommodate all guests, but understand that we were unable to extend your rate due to the city wide event that was happening. My apologies again, and should you choose to stay with us again, would love to assist you personally in making your reservation. I can be reached at drew.mcquade@whotels.com or 512-542-3633.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Very accomodatating for a large group and were able to take care of all of our needs. Use of a secure garage for all the cars was a must. Our room had a great room (corner room). The living room was a nice place to relax downstairs and the restaurant was good as well.

Room Tip: The rooms are a little small but very nice.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends