“Nice and trendy; For a 'young' crowd; great gym”
Review of W Austin

W Austin
Ranked #19 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Stayed here during trip to Austin for events around campus with our son. The hotel is very modern, with primarily red, gray, black decor. Check in took about 2 minutes. There really isn't a lobby, or much of anywhere besides the bar or the pool, to just sit or to wait for someone. The elevators provide security b/c you cannot access a guest floor without a room key. Our King room was small; if my husband was working at the desk, I could not walk between him and the bed. Bed was extremely comfortable though, with lots of soft pillows. The bellman had to show us where the closet was--it was built into a corner. We had to keep our suitcases by the door--there was NO other space. Bathroom was quite large, with a separate shower (no tub), an enclosed toilet room, and lighted makeup mirror. The hairdryer was tiny--with no "cool" button so bring your own b/c the Austin humidity requires a good hair dryer. Robes in the room, but no coffee pot and the coffee downstairs was not good. You will want to go out for coffee. There was a charging station by the bed--that was handy for cell phones, so you don't have to bring your own chargers. Valet was a problem every time we called for our car. They never got the message--this happened 4 times and so I'd make sure you are getting that part right if you need your car in a hurry. The gym is great--equipment could not have been better. The area is large, lots of windows, a large class room for stretching, etc. Excellent cardio equipment with individual TVs, and every kind of exercise equipment to give you a workout that rivals your home gym, I'm certain. It's open 24/7. The pool area was mobbed--nearly impossible to find a chair or any other real estate to sit on during a sunny afternoon. We went to the bar on Friday night about 11 pm--I think they called it a "meat market" in my day. The hotel clearly caters to a young crowd--I think the average age of guests was about 28. It's a fun place to stay--glad we tried it. I would probably choose a more traditional hotel for my next Austin trip.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for W Austin

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Stayed there for SXSW this March. Beautiful hotel, very hip. Outstanding rooms, great service. Switched out my room mid stay to help me. Very helpful. Kept noise down so you could sleep. Great workout facility and great hours. Outdoor pool that I will try next trip. Close to the events and some cool bars. Will be there in 2014.

Room Tip: Get a room on the lake side to avoid any street noise
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Marian Lopez, who works with in-house reservations, is an absoulte angel!! I was being transferred back and forth and being put on hold because no one wanted to help me but Marian took initiative and was honest when she didn't have answers but actually called me back two different times to solve my problem. Her honesty and positive attitude are outstanding qualities that changed my perception of the W Austin employees. I have not yet stayed here, but I want to take time to recognize an exceptional employee with dedication and a great spirit, and her name is Marian Lopez.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank StephanieP410
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I can't wait to get back to Austin! This has to be one of the friendly towns in America and the staff at the W was a prime example. Every one from the waiters, to the bartender, to the concierge were incredibly friendly. When my wife and I wanted to explore the area outside of Austin, the concierge was able to arrange a one day care rental for us.
The hotel itself is very contemporary and clean. The room was well appointed and comfortable. My only complaint was that in the name of energy conservation they have one light switch that turns off all of the lights, including the bathroom. If you want to leave the light on in the bathroom at night, you have to leave other lights on. Not very good for an older gent who occasionally has to get up at night to go!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Honestly, I can not say enough good things about the staff and my experience at this hotel. I travel weekly and my stay at the W Austin was unbelievable.

I arrived early on a Friday, although my room was not ready, the front desk and the bartender were very accommodating in finding me a comfortable and quiet spot to get some work done....and an electrical outlet. Very friendly and accommodating...this is RARE

My room was amazing, amazing service and very friendly people.

This is def a well managed property, I admit I am loyal to SPG, but the level of professionalism at this property is refreshing.

Highly recommended!!!

Any trip to Austin... I will be back at the W

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 April 2013

We had a very nicely appointed and comfortable room with a good view. The hotel is well situated, on the edge of the busier, tourist area. The concierge was very helpful. Overall, it was a fine hotel, if a little expensive. My only complaints: (1) our waiter in the restaurant was a little snooty; and (2) the whole "W" experience is a little pretentious. Calling the car valet service "Wheels" and similar names struck me as trying a little too hard to be cool.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank shackelton
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I wish I could have stayed longer....One of the most amazing places i have ever stayed. From the beginning I was in love Shelly was great as soon as I walked in i was in room 1403 and it was awesome love the decor fridge Pool area was amazing. Everything thing about my stay was fantastic defiantly my Austin Trip Hotel Choice...

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends