“Over-rated”

Ranked #17 of 202 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
“Over-rated”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

A beautiful hotel in an awesome city smack dab in the middle of town. The beds are wonderful. My compliments stop there. You pay a premium price at this hotel for the room and then they charge for every little thing extra. There is no free Internet unless you are a premium Starwood Hotel member. It will cost you $31 per day to park your car there. There is no coffee pot or coffee in the rooms but you can call down and get one and therefore leave a tip to the person bringing it to the room. There is a refrigerator in the room that is packed full (literally) with drinks and snacks that are for sale at a highly inflated price so don't plan on using it. There are other snacks and bottles of water around the room and the bathroom that are all meant to entice you to purchase them. The lobby and bars are all intertwined and are a favorite local hot spot so they are very crowded and noisy and it also makes for valet service to be slower than slow at peak times.
The rooms are beautifully decorated and appointed but not very practical. They are not large by any stretch of the imagination. There is no good place near a plug to place the coffee pot they bring. The bathroom sink takes up so much space that there is only about 6 inches on each side for toiletries (however there are a few cubbies under the counter). The closets are small. In order to open the curtains you have to stand on or crawl over the beautiful little sofa in front of the window. The bedside lights are placed at the far end of the night stands with a very short electrical cord that prevents you from moving it closer, therefore reading is difficult and you must get up to turn the light off.
As for service, the bell men and the concierge are very prompt. We did not order any room service meals as they are quite pricey but they do have 24 hour service. Our drinking glasses we used in the room were removed the next morning and not replaced. There were soiled wash clothes left hanging in the shower. Fresh clothes were not provided. I expected better from this level of hotel.
If you are looking for a well decorated building at a location that is THE place to be seen and rooms with a comfortable bed at a very high cost, this is the place for you. However, if you want a comfortable bed with a few amenities thrown in with just as good service go to one of the many other hotels located throughout the downtown areas.

• Stayed May 2013
Hello,
Thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I greatly appreciate the time you took to provide feedback, as it's such valuable information for me to share with my team. I am sorry to hear about the frustration and disappointment you experienced during your stay. We strive for a superior customer service experience and I can see that did not happen while you were with us. I would very much welcome the opportunity to speak with you further so that I may learn more and address your specific issues with my team, as what you experienced is not at all the guest experience we aim for. I can be reached at drew.mcquade@whotels.com or 512-542-3633. Thank you again for your feedback, I look forward to connecting soon.

Drew McQuade

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Bromont, Canada
Reviewed 25 May 2013

I was so impressed with this young, vibrant city! The W hotel's location is central to everything ,4th floor lap pool with private cabanas,State of the Art Gym and Spa made my stay more than comfortable. I got there and was greeted my the most sweet, friendly, professional receptionist named Rebecca Omeragbon. She explained me all the hotel perks and referred me to one of the best places I've ever been Barton Springs! Bring a picnic, towel, swimsuit and a book and relax all day at this natural wonder 10min drive away. Rent a Bike like I did at Austin Tricyclist 923 Barton Springs RD 512-494-9252, and tour the town. Best way to see the city. Hit Congress street south and have a slice of pizza at "Home Slice Pizza." There are gourmet food trucks everywhere and you can eat wonderful creations for a low price. There are boutiques, cool shops, Saturday markets.....Just GO people!! One of the best places I've been in North America and let me tell you I have travelled!! MUCH LOVE AUSTIN WHERE EVERYONE IS FRIENDY,URBIN,HIP,COOL AND PLAIN DELIGHTFUL!

Room Tip: Take a room on a high floor for a great view of the city
Green Features: Yes the W is environmentally conscious and they recycle
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Loved this hotel, wanted to stay more than one night! We stayed here during my sons commencement at UT Austin found it on Priceline name your own price and was pleasantly surprised. The service was 2nd to none. Room was eclectic and cheerful, bed was supper comfy, toiletries used there are by "Bliss" My favorite thing about this place was the "medical grade" soaking tub. You might want to ask for a room with a shower if you're alone and have a drink or 2 or you're a female shorter than 5'5 ? It's one deep tub like the kind you see in the movies that make you want to check into a "nervous hospital". I loved that tub!!!! Can't wait To return and spend some time at the spa or amazing pool. There's lots to do in Austin but if your visiting in the summer and have seen it all, I'd stay at the hotel most of the time. Soaking, eating, swimming , or hanging out in one of the cool living areas on first 2 floors. Take a nap, get some rest, swim, have a mixology kind of cocktail and stay cool.

Room Tip: Ask for room with a shower if you're not a bath person. If you're a bath person make sure yo...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Hello, and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit over your son's graduation and got to experience some of our amenities like the Living Room and WET Deck. We look forward to welcome you back again soon!

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 24 May 2013

The W is a great hotel. I love the pool here. Make sure and request a high floor room. The restaurant Trace is very good. Great place to go with friends on a weekend night. Go to the Red Room. Valet parking is a little steep.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Redondo Beach
Reviewed 22 May 2013

I was very surprised on my recent trip to Austin on how much there is to see and do in the city . Also impressed with the "W" Hotel with the faclities and service. The conciege gave me a great recommendation on a restaurant nearby called Lamberts . When I left my pants in my room they offered to send them back at no charge which was nice touch . Highly recommend this hotel for the location and excellent service throughout the property .

Room Tip: Guest rooms near elevators were convenient and very quiet .
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank stephen h
Hi Stephen,
Thanks for your recent review of the W Austin. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our City. I'm equally pleased to hear that our team was able to assist with your lost and found item. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Ridgefield, Connecticut
Reviewed 22 May 2013

The hotel lobby and bar area are very nice; cool, chic and modern. That is, of course, if you can get in. On Friday and Saturday nights the "Living Room" as the onsite bar is called seems to the THE trendy hotspot for all, and I mean ALL the twentysomethings in greater Austin. Not bad if you are a twentysomething, but if you are a fortysomething in town staying at the hotel, not so much. Crowds outside, police outside, crowds inside. Couldn't even get into my own hotel bar to get a drink.

Room was very nice. Nicely appointed and a very comfy bed. I used points, and had to use extra points as only this "upgraded" room was available. I am STILL not sure what was upgraded other than that the room may have been a little bigger (did I plan to do cartwheels in the room), so I really wish I could get some of my points back. For me, size does not matter, unless we are talking about a suite, but this was still one room.

Pool also very nice, but again, try getting in on a Saturday or a Sunday. They have a wristband system which is tacky, and clearly does not prevent mobs of drunken twentysomethings from wandering into and out of the pool and onto the elevators stumbling and bumbling. Not to mention people sitting in halls on the telephone at all hours like a college dorm.

Location is fabulous. Enough said there. Close to everything.

Would be 5 stars in my book were it not for the rowdy, uncontrolled crowds. As it stands, it is barely 3 stars, but I will give it that. It is a shame, because it is a great property, but the W is clearly catering to the the weekend party crowd, and probably making a alot of dough doing so.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent experience at W Austin. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the aesthetic of our Living Room, but I am disappointed to hear that the crowds made a negative impression. While we do tend to be a popular spot for cocktails on the weekends, we do give Living Room priority to hotel guests, so my apologies that that wasn’t communicated to you.

I also apologize that the room did not meet your expectations for the number of points used. We always give priority to our loyal Starwood Preferred Guest members for upgrades, but unfortunately suites are not always available, so understand the frustration you experienced. I am also sorry to hear about your experience on the Wet Deck. Because the pool is such a popular spot for hotel guests, we use a wristband system to identify our guests, as we do not allow the public to enter.

Thank you again for your feedback. My team and I strive for a superior customer service experience, so feedback like yours is valuable to our process. I hope that you will consider returning to W Austin, and I look forward to making immediate improvements on your impression of us. If you have time to discuss your experience further, I can be reached at drew.mcquade@whotels.com or 512-542-3633.

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I loved my stay at The W Austin! I stayed in a "cozy" room, but it was not too small at all. I highly recommend trying out the gym and the spa during your stay. I used the gym everyday and indulged in the Over the Hills and Far Away spa treatment which was the best spa treatment I have ever had! The staff is amazing and all the little things they do will make you feel welcome and very well taken care of. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business