“Best hotel”

Ranked #18 of 203 Hotels in Austin
USA
“Best hotel”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I stayed at the Residences at the W Austin. Everyone was very friendly and attentive. Great atmosphere, great food, great hotel... very clean.
Location was great, very close to West 6th st. Restaurants close by, I didn't need to drive anywhere.... Highly recommend..

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ZoeUSA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2013

if you've been to a W before, and you liked it, you'll like this hotel. Personally, the W does my head in, and this hotel was no exception. For me, staying here is like an assault on the senses. It tries too hard to be cool at the expense of your comfort.

The number of strange initiatives which they try just make the whole stay frustrating; I just want to check into a hotel where they change the linens and towels as standard, not as a result of me putting them in a certain place or in a certain way. I don't want a reduced rate for less cleaning / no turndown - I just want my hotel to clean my room and turndown, as standard. I also hate the way that hotels like the W say that they are trying to be green and environmentally friendly, when they are just trying to increase profit margins. It's really transparent and, frankly, I'd like your green initiatives to be things that do not impact on customer comfort.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WillLondon3
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Hello, and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I appreciate your feedback regarding our green initiatives. As a Silver-LEED certified building we do offer programs to allow guests interested in reducing their carbon footprint to opt in and do so, however my apologies that this wasn't presented as your option and didn’t fall in line with your stay expectations. I very much appreciate your feedback and should you be open to discussing your stay further would like to connect. I can be reached at drew.mcquade@whotels.com or 512-542-3633.

prosper tx
Reviewed 2 September 2013

This is the 3rd W I have stayed at. This one needs to be renovated. The hotel is dirty, carpets show serious wear, walls need to be painted due to all the scratches, and the elevators are all scratched up. I really like the eclectic W look, but this stay made me realize that eclectic and run down looks terrible, much worse than traditional and run down. The shower head in our room had been replaced with what look like a $20 head from Walmart. We ordered room service 1 time, when I called back 1 hour later they admitted they had forgotten to place the order. Parking was high, $33 a day, though I would expect that given the hotels' location.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank scootertexas
Hello, and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I very much appreciate your feedback and my apologies that your stay did not exceed your expectations, as we strive for a superior customer service experience. I would very much like to learn more about your stay so that I may address your in-room dining and cleanliness concerns with my team. Should you be open to discussing further, I can be reached at 512-542-3633 or drew.mcquade@whotels.com.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Texas
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night and really enjoyed it. Service was exceptional. Rented a cabana at the pool and watched the action. It was well worth it, as the pool get crowded with the late 20's crowd. Definitely not a pool for kids once the afternoon rolls around

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JayHTexas
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. we're glad to hear that you enjoyed the energy on our WET Deck. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 August 2013

First off, I'm a hard grader; one of those snobby, perfectionist that I'm pretty sure hotel employees despise. On the flip side, I will hand out credit like candy when it is deserved! The W Hotel Austin Staff deserve a hell of a lot of credit! I stayed there a few months ago on a quick weekend trip with my lady friend. Since it was early in our relationship, I really wanted to 1. Impress her with an awesome hotel experience 2. show off my favorite town in the US, Austin (A big challenge given that we live in New York).

Long story short, the accommodations were filled with surprises and delights. Even the elevator experience was cool with attention to detail with the lights in the lobby, cool W-esque music and a sense of exclusivity. As for the rooms, I had a similar, if not better experience. We booked a Kool Corner, which was well worth the splurge. The sectional like couches, cool Austin decor, and open suite area was perfect for an after-hours drink...okay party. The bed was as awesome as usual and they weren't stingy with the Bliss products

Okay, the best part... the service. The Whatever Whenever crew was super accommodating and fast. They helped us get cabs and even recommended the complimentary car service to save us $. We also received a surprising check in from Joanna McCreary, the hotel room director, to make sure we had a good stay. This cool experience rounded out a pretty awesome stay. And yes, my lady friend was impressed. So much, that we have another trip planned. I'll do a follow up to this 2nd trip and provide more details.

Thanks W Staff, I'll see ya soon! Ps: SPG Preferred guests are recognized and the benefits are great here! SPG members will really enjoy their stay.

Room Tip: Be sure to call down to valet prior to going downstairs. They sometimes get backed up. If it's...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Danausc
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We love every W hotel we stay at, but the W Austin is by far our favorite! Both the service and our overall experiences have been above and beyond at the W Austin. Our recent stay in one of the Cool Corner suites provided an ideal environment, perfect for traveling with our toddler while visiting with friends. We will always stay here when traveling to Austin :)

• Stayed August 2013
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed 22 August 2013

My son and his girlfriend have a lovely relationship. They are both 25 years old and have been together for several years. It's a very healthy nurturing relationship that they have together. My Son's girlfriend has an amazing opportunity to teach English in a foreign country and has decided to accept the position. Love knows no bounds and therefore they have decided to work through this temporary separation. She is going to be leaving in about a week. I decided a great gift to give them would be to treat them to a little mini-getaway at The W Hotel in Austin. I reached out to the hotel and connected with their W Insider Desk at the W Austin to create this VERY special "Lovers Escape" for the two of them to celebrate their love. From the VERY beginning the Hotel Staff JUMPED in on this request to create a magical moment. I have come to rely on Starwood properties many many times in the past for my loved ones and VIP Business relationships over the years...well what The W Austin put together is one of the most memorable experiences I have had! I arrived at the property a day before they did. The Staff member spent about an hour with me learning about My Son and his girlfriend, inquiring and asking questions about what they love as far as music, food, activities, their hobbies, some special memorable experiences shared together. He was very thorough. He also organized some of their favorite activities while on property like - canoeing, and spa treatments. In addition, he worked with his VIP connections at some of the best restaurants in town to secure reservations and admission to some great entertainment venues for them. He covered everything from A-Z to make this an amazing experience! He even printed off pictures of them together and them framed them and placed them in the hotel room. I shipped out several imported bottle of champagne and he coordinated placing those in the room. He arranged the in-house Baker to create about 50 gourmet cupcakes, rum drenched donuts, and some other exotic delicacies in the room for them. He also worked with the in-house florist to create some beautiful floral arrangements. (Of course I covered the cost for all these extra amenities but he took leadership role in coordinating)The final magical touch happened today when he called me just a few hours before they arrived on property to tell me he was able to pull of an AMAZING room upgrade!!) The upgrade, the amenities, the special VIP treatment, all of that culminates together to make this a very special experience for My son and his girlfriend. Because I know, that on some nights while these two are apart, they may wake up alone, missing one another, and they can reflect back on this magical romantic interlude they got to share together before saying goodbye and the memories and joy and bliss will wash away any sadness! They will recall the love and closeness and the happiness and joy of that experience at The W Austin.

Room Tip: The cool corner suites a really awesome. And if you're lucky they can sometimes upgrade you to a...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Baba M
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Hello, and thank you for your review of the W Austin. I am so glad to hear that our Caleb, our Insider and team made such a lasting memory during your son and his girlfriend's stay. Thank you for the positive feedback, and we look forward to welcoming them back again when their travels bring them back to Austin.