“Great Place For a Bachelor Party...Or Any Fun Occasion”
Review of W Austin

W Austin
Ranked #22 of 203 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I was the organizer of a bachelor party weekend at the W and it was superb. I couldn't have asked more of the hotel. Big thanks to Jake in sales and Nicole at the concierge desk for their help. They were AWESOME in helping me prep for the big weekend.

The rooms were great. I roomed with one other guy and we were fine with the shower being exposed to the hallway of the room. But if that is something that you're not good with...you can call and they will put a curtain up for you.

The pool is great. We rented a cabana on Saturday and had a great time. The service was great. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of our waitress. But she and the entire pool staff were very accommodating...including the bartenders and security. I wouldn't advise having a young family pool day at the pool at the W...but to be honest it wasn't that crazy. Reading previous reviews...I thought it was going to be a bit more crazier than it turned out to be...which was fine. It turned out to be a fun and relaxing day at the pool.

I can't comment on parking or room service as I didn't use those services.

But I can say the Living Room Bar was great. We went there the final night. I wish we had spent more time there. It turned out to be the best dance party in town.

The hotel is in a great location. We walked everywhere...except for a longer excursion to go tubing (which was hooked up by Nicole).

All in all...a great place. I wouldn't necessarily recommend for a family...but it's a fine place for couples of any age who like to have fun. It is a little pricey...but if it's within your budget...I would highly recommend.

Again...big thanks to Jake and Nicole.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your Bachelor Party experience and that Jake and Nicole were able to assist in the planning. We look forward to welcoming you and your friends back again soon!

Drew McQuade

Write a ReviewReviews (1,248)

Reviewed 5 September 2013

I've stayed here twice when in town on business. This is what I love: The comfy bed, the great walk in shower, the room layout and decor, the nice people that work here, cleanliness, cranberry basil margaritas in the bar, the fresh M&Ms in the room. This is what I don't like so much:
- bring a flashlight (or use the flashlight app on your phone) so you can see the plugs under the "desk" for your laptop which, by the way, are located ON THE WRONG SIDE of the "desk" (really just a long table shared with TV that has limited work space) so your cord barely reaches the laptop;
- the universal charging station next to the bed which for some reason doesn't support the iPhone 5 connection and when you plug in the USB you find out too late that it still isn't charging because the master switch wasn't plugged in!
- the sink is cool but not enough room on the side (in some rooms) for your makeup bags to fit so you have to use the sink as the counter; Not so good for us, girls.
So - to stay here happily: just leave work at work and do your makeup while lounging on the chaise by the window!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I stayed at the Residences at the W Austin. Everyone was very friendly and attentive. Great atmosphere, great food, great hotel... very clean.
Location was great, very close to West 6th st. Restaurants close by, I didn't need to drive anywhere.... Highly recommend..

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ZoeUSA
Reviewed 2 September 2013

if you've been to a W before, and you liked it, you'll like this hotel. Personally, the W does my head in, and this hotel was no exception. For me, staying here is like an assault on the senses. It tries too hard to be cool at the expense of your comfort.

The number of strange initiatives which they try just make the whole stay frustrating; I just want to check into a hotel where they change the linens and towels as standard, not as a result of me putting them in a certain place or in a certain way. I don't want a reduced rate for less cleaning / no turndown - I just want my hotel to clean my room and turndown, as standard. I also hate the way that hotels like the W say that they are trying to be green and environmentally friendly, when they are just trying to increase profit margins. It's really transparent and, frankly, I'd like your green initiatives to be things that do not impact on customer comfort.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WillLondon3
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Hello, and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I appreciate your feedback regarding our green initiatives. As a Silver-LEED certified building we do offer programs to allow guests interested in reducing their carbon footprint to opt in and do so, however my apologies that this wasn't presented as your option and didn’t fall in line with your stay expectations. I very much appreciate your feedback and should you be open to discussing your stay further would like to connect. I can be reached at drew.mcquade@whotels.com or 512-542-3633.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

This is the 3rd W I have stayed at. This one needs to be renovated. The hotel is dirty, carpets show serious wear, walls need to be painted due to all the scratches, and the elevators are all scratched up. I really like the eclectic W look, but this stay made me realize that eclectic and run down looks terrible, much worse than traditional and run down. The shower head in our room had been replaced with what look like a $20 head from Walmart. We ordered room service 1 time, when I called back 1 hour later they admitted they had forgotten to place the order. Parking was high, $33 a day, though I would expect that given the hotels' location.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank scootertexas

Hello, and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I very much appreciate your feedback and my apologies that your stay did not exceed your expectations, as we strive for a superior customer service experience. I would very much like to learn more about your stay so that I may address your in-room dining and cleanliness concerns with my team. Should you be open to discussing further, I can be reached at 512-542-3633 or drew.mcquade@whotels.com.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Stayed one night and really enjoyed it. Service was exceptional. Rented a cabana at the pool and watched the action. It was well worth it, as the pool get crowded with the late 20's crowd. Definitely not a pool for kids once the afternoon rolls around

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JayHTexas

Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. we're glad to hear that you enjoyed the energy on our WET Deck. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 29 August 2013

First off, I'm a hard grader; one of those snobby, perfectionist that I'm pretty sure hotel employees despise. On the flip side, I will hand out credit like candy when it is deserved! The W Hotel Austin Staff deserve a hell of a lot of credit! I stayed there a few months ago on a quick weekend trip with my lady friend. Since it was early in our relationship, I really wanted to 1. Impress her with an awesome hotel experience 2. show off my favorite town in the US, Austin (A big challenge given that we live in New York).

Long story short, the accommodations were filled with surprises and delights. Even the elevator experience was cool with attention to detail with the lights in the lobby, cool W-esque music and a sense of exclusivity. As for the rooms, I had a similar, if not better experience. We booked a Kool Corner, which was well worth the splurge. The sectional like couches, cool Austin decor, and open suite area was perfect for an after-hours drink...okay party. The bed was as awesome as usual and they weren't stingy with the Bliss products

Okay, the best part... the service. The Whatever Whenever crew was super accommodating and fast. They helped us get cabs and even recommended the complimentary car service to save us $. We also received a surprising check in from Joanna McCreary, the hotel room director, to make sure we had a good stay. This cool experience rounded out a pretty awesome stay. And yes, my lady friend was impressed. So much, that we have another trip planned. I'll do a follow up to this 2nd trip and provide more details.

Thanks W Staff, I'll see ya soon! Ps: SPG Preferred guests are recognized and the benefits are great here! SPG members will really enjoy their stay.

Room Tip: Be sure to call down to valet prior to going downstairs. They sometimes get backed up. If it's...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple