“Urban Oasis in Austin”

W Austin
Ranked #21 of 203 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I'd like to start by saying I am not a huge fan of W hotels in general. I prefer to feel relaxed when I return to my hotel rather than feel like I am right back in the club.

The W in Austin was not that way. Sure, I got a glimpse of that scene for the 15 seconds I spent checking out the pool on Saturday afternoon, but it is 100% optional and avoidable. Everything from the moment we checked in was lovely. We were greeted with a glass of champagne at check in, which is always a nice touch after a long morning of travel.

The room was very spacious and comfortable and the staff were super helpful. I needed to buy hair gel and for some reason there is only one convenience store in downtown Austin. When I asked the concierge if they knew of a place where I could buy some, he offered to travel 6 blocks to the CVS to pick some up and deliver it to my room! I did not take him up on what I thought seemed like an absurd offer, but wow, that is impressive service.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ariel M
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Hello and thank you for your review of the W Austin. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our team was able to assist in making it more memorable. We strive for a superior customer service experience, so we very much appreciate feedback like yours to gauge how we are performing. Thank you again for staying with us, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Drew McQuade

Write a ReviewReviews (1,245)

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Richard is the most helpful, genuine, and consistent W employee/doorman I have had the opportunity to come by. Always asking if I need anything, and always hustling to make sure I'm taken care of, and always smiling Richard is an absolute joy to come by.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I am so glad to hear that Richard has been able to make your stay more memorable. Thank you for the feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Have stayed at properties all of over Austin. Four Seasons very nice, but the W Austin overshadows even that hotel. To start, service is impeccable, from the minute the valet greets you, until the time you drive off, literally everyone gave five star treatment without attitude and just the right amount of familiarity. Paige at the front desk and Nicole at Concierge desk were particularly great. Rooms are fantastic, completely soundproof, pool is fantastic and gym is more like an upscale health club with great equipment. Awesome multiple common spaces for the bars and restaurant. The GM here seems to have put together a world class team. AND, for once, instead of ordering late night room service and hearing "we only have the three things you see on the late night menu," they tell you "we can pretty much get you whatever you see on any of our menus." And great food to boot.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I am so glad to hear that Paige and Nicole were able to make your stay even more memorable. Thank you again for the feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 5 November 2013

While we really enjoyed our nights at the W, it is definitely a social hot spot. So if you're not into lot's of beautiful people getting a little tipsy and a little loud then you might be in the wrong spot. Please don't misunderstand me, the room was well appointed in typical "W" contemporary style and it was nice and quiet, but the lobby/bar is hopping. We were there to spend some time on 6th street so it was perfect for us. Not where I would go for a romantic weekend for two, though. If you're going to see Austin City Limits you can't find a more convenient location.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor if you want to go to bed before 2am.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Really nice experience. I have enjoyed staying there each time I visit my daughter at UT.. Nothing negative with the hotel, but not quite as convenient to UT as some of the other Austin hotels. Very convenient to the river and the nicer restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. We’re so glad to hear that we’re your home away from home when visiting your daughter. We look forward to welcoming you both back again soon!

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Stayed for 3 nights and was less than impressed. Although location is pretty good and staff had 1 good recommendation for food (breakfast at Joe's around the corner), overall staff, particularly Emily, had a snooty attitude and sounded bored when they spoke to you. There were conflicting answers given about the shuttle to the UT game and concierge was not very helpful with getting reservations at popular restaurants (landmark, Stubbs BBQ). Decor was dark and cold and room (which was 1 up from cheapest room) did not have bathtub or dresser/space for clothes other than closet. We will not be returning, at this price.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank L M

Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. We strive for a superior customer service experience in all facets of the hotel, so I am disappointed that you did not experience this. I would very much like to learn more about your stay so that I may address these issues with my team. Should you be open to discussing your stay further, I can be reached at 512-542-3633 or drew.mcquade@whotels.com. Thank you again for your feedback, I look forward to connecting.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Best part of this hotel were the spacious rooms. They were very clean and relaxing. The bathroom was also roomy. The public areas are a little meandering and broken up...it feels like you're going from room to room in a meandering and somewhat confusing way. But overall, I like the location and the ambiance.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business