“Excellent Stay and Service at W Austin”
Review of W Austin

W Austin
Ranked #17 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Superb! I can't say enough about this hotel, its staff, and the warm welcome that my husband and I received for our 3-night getaway. Caleb C. treated us like superstars as soon as we stepped in the hotel - the service was the best we've had in a very, very long time. When we arrived, our reservation was not in the system for some reason, and the staff provided us with complimentary drinks, a food discount, and just great service while they set us up. The room that we stayed in was modern, sleek, and the perfect setting for our stay. The hotel is located right in the middle of everything - great restaurants, 6th Street, and SoCo. And, if you want to go anywhere within 5 miles, you can ask the hotel's private car to take you there. Whatever we needed, the staff provided personalized attention to us, and we couldn't be more grateful. And, the room service food from Trace was amongst the best I've ever had!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and the surrounding area and that Caleb was able to make your stay more memorable. Thank you again for the feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

This hotel was great. We have an awesome ambassador through Starwood who said this was a great hotel and she was right. Location is great to Rainey St, South of congress, running trail around lake and more. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank spearsalot

Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I am so thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and our surrounding areas. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 18 February 2014

The hotel seems to fancy itself as trendy and quirky, much like the city advertises itself. While it tries - with various soft seating areas and other pseudo-hip touches - it's really just OK. The staff is almost non-existent - they are at the desk but they are transactional rather than really helpful. The outlet plugs to charge laptops and phones are inconveniently located under the table holding the TV - I needed my flash light app to find the holes. The menu in the Trace restaurant is limited as well. So it's OK, but disappointing for the W brand.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank DogWorld

Hello and thank you for your recent review of W Austin and Trace. I sincerely appreciate your feedback and would welcome the opportunity to learn more about your stay as we strive for a seamless guest experience, and want to ensure that my team is present and available to assist with any guest needs. Should you be open to discussing your stay further, I can be reached at 512-542-3633 or gmwaustin@whotels.com.

Thank you again for your feedback, we hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Having often stayed in Austin at cheaper hotels I was pleasantly surprised to find good rates at this property if you search hard.
The location, quality of food, and size of the room all made this worthwhile and I will be coming back to the property again soon.
A new Starbucks opening up just next door on the corner is an added bonus!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Hello and thank you for your recent review. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 8 February 2014

Sometimes a staycation is just what the doctor ordered. Especially when you have friends visiting from around the world and you want to enjoy all that downtown Austin has to offer without the hassle of long cab trips home after a night of fun. As a general lover of the W brand, and someone who has stated in a couple dozen around the world, my expectations for the W Austin were high. Austin (super cool city) + W (super cool brand) [should] = marriage made in heaven.

Sadly that was not the case. I am disappointed in W Austin and will have to think long and hard before taking my business there again.

The morning of my stay, the SPG iPhone app buzzed merrily, informing me that we had been upgraded to a Cool Corner Suite. OMG! *ring* *ring* - hey y'all, I have an awesome suite at The W, let's hang there for a while before we go out (message sent to several friends that morning).

Check-in comes around (6ish pm). LIne is long. Room card makers were broken. Staff was stressed and it showed.

Our turn. Associate welcomes us and proceeds to apologize, saying that she "just gave our room away to the couple in front of us." The only other remaining suite (the one that I was shown to have on the SPG app) was filled with cigarette smoke from previous guest. She then proceeded to lecture us on the upgrade policy--regardless of what the app says, we were told, wasn't guaranteed. The salt on the already open wound was that we had to wait about 20 minutes for an associate to escort us to our room as the card makers were broken and they were having to take all guests (one at a time) to their rooms (our keys were delivered 45 minutes later).

If it hadn't been for a tweet we sent to the awesome folks at @spg, I am confident that the W Austin would've dropped it. The tweet resulted in follow-up from manager, which got us some drink vouchers and a nice text late at night apologizing that the remaining suite was still filled with smoke.

An appropriate course of action would've been to refund the SPG points I used to cover my stay. The W refunded a small portion of the points spent, but not enough to make up for the great disappointment and lack of customer service we experienced.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mark M
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I greatly appreciate your feedback and offer my sincerest apologies that we were not able to assist with honoring the suite upgrade. I can understand what a damper this would have put on your plans.

I know that my team has been in touch and provided follow-up, but should you wish to discuss your experience further, I can be reached at drew.mcquade@whotels.com or 512-542-3633.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

Great venue, service, and professionalism! I held a corporate event at the W and would like to give credit to Jennifer Hunt, Javier Castillo, and Guy Yuksel who really made it special! Grant Grissom at the door was friendly and entertaining. Ask him about his impersonations. I will definitely be back!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Hello and thank you for your feedback. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at the hotel and that my team was able to make your event and stay more memorable. Thank you again for your feedback, we look forward to welcoming you and your group back soon.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

I planned on staying at the Domain Westin, but it was oversold and I went to the W instead. The W has a definitely more Modern style than previous hotels I visited. The room I had was small with a Modern design and decor. It was interesting, and I could not say I disliked it, but it was not my favorite either. The hotel is centrally located in downtown and there were places available for dinner nearby. The lobby area and amenities are very nice and comfortable. This was probably the best part of the stay. Would I stay there again? Yes I would. Do I recommend? Well, it depends on if you like this style.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Hello and thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the W Austin. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your downtown stay and we hope to welcome you back again soon!