“Great hotel, but prepare to pay for every little thing”
Review of W Austin

W Austin
Ranked #19 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Dallas, Texas
“Great hotel, but prepare to pay for every little thing”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My business travel extended by 1 day so I gave W a shot. Very cool hotel - great location - awesome bed - incredible special touches - smells like aromatherapy throughout. The only thing that annoyed me was that EVERYTHING (except 1 bottle of water in the room) is an upcharge (and not cheap). You use it you bought it. For what I paid for the room, I think they should provide a few free drinks and bags of peanuts, or at least not rape me if I use something.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin.. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you also for your feedback regarding additional in-room amenities.

Thank you again for your feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Drew McQuade

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 14 May 2014

If you're looking to stay at a well put together hotel with a party environment in the middle of Austin, this is the place. It's an Industrial, modern decor hotel (kind of reminded me of Gotham City, batman haha, that's my imagination). If you're looking for a resort-style getaway, this is probably not the place. However if you're looking for a people filled, party atmosphere, this is perfect with a downtown view.

The reason why I originally chose this hotel was for the pool. This was the only place in the downtown area that had what looked like a good, fun pool. When you walk in is clean and but kind of confusing, it doesn't have the welcoming lobby feel, I didn't really know where the check-in desk was located.

The room was really nice and spacious. We got the one overlooking the pool, which was perfect.

The Pool area was nice but kind of tight, a place where everyone hung out during the day. You have to get up early if you want to find lounge chairs, but if you don't find any, looks like everyone was sitting in the pool. We spent most of the day in the pool area and it was not bad. If you're ok with bachelor and bachelorette parties, you're going to like it. It was pretty busy which meant the waiters were pretty busy.

They have a fun bar/club downstairs which seemed to be pretty nice and popular.

The hotel was close to everything. Right next to a great breakfast spot, next to great shopping spots and even to a sweet wine bar. We went out that evening and found that there were people walking down the street and we weren't afraid to walk to any destination.

The staff seemed nice and welcoming.

Overall, the hotel was a nice. If you're looking for a spot in Downtown Austin, this is the place.

Room Tip: The Balcony is nice to have, but not necessarily a "must". Get up early to get lounge c...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Very much enjoyed the location of this hotel. Convenient walking distance to shops, restaurants, and bars. Starbucks is located next door. Reserved for an extra fee a Spectacular room that was supposed to have views of the lake, but my room had views of downtown. Asked front desk about it and they said that some of the Spectacular rooms don't have a view of the lake, which doesn't make much sense since this particular room description states lake views and costs extra! They offered a room change for the next day but I declined because it was a hassle to change rooms (they should provide what they advertise the first time around). They didn't offer any room credits alternatively. For the no lake view reason despite reserving a room specifically for a lake view, this hotels receives a 4 star rating. If I ever stay here again, I will just reserve a city view which costs less since I can't expect a lake view will actually be provided.

Otherwise, the room was clean but small and had a nice shower, no tub. There was a minibar and some snack items available for purchase. The hotel bar/lounge was open until 2 am where I had some drinks and played chess next to a fire. Very much enjoyed the ambiance of this area of the hotel. Staff were relatively friendly overall.

Of the downtown hotels, I would likely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed over for a special "date night" and it was a very positive experience. The location is quite central and within easy walking distance to a wide variety of restaurants, bars, and related venues. We stayed in the so-called Fabulous Room (their name, not ours, although it was quite good, though I'd reserve the Fabulous appellation) and had a wonderful time. The bar was very hip and good fun, with good drinks well-poured. We'd definitely go again.

Room Tip: The "entry level" rooms can be a bit small.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Hello and thank you for your recent review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our Fabulous Room. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Burlingame, California
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Austin is such an amazing city and being able to stay at the W makes my visits even more special. Every time I visit Austin, I look forward to staying there.

The team -- especially the W Insider -- is so great. I almost always am surprised with something special. One time it was a plate of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies delivered to my room. This last time it was a suite upgrade that absolutely surpassed my expectations of what is an amazing room.

Even the coffee in the lobby is good: strong, hot and free.

I absolutely love this hotel and it is the only place that I would ever stay in Austin.

Room Tip: High room; view of Congress bridge is great for seeing the bats
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I am so glad to hear that you enjoy your time with us here, and that Caleb, our Insider is able to make your stays more memorable. We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Nashville
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Great bar, great service, great gym, first class. Only drawback is lack of storage in the room so that you have to pretty much live out of your suitcase. They have a car service that will drop you anywhere within a 5 mile radius. The location of the hotel allows you to walk to a great variety of places including the music scene on Sixth Street.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the river.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Hello and thank you for your review of the W Austin. Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience. We hope to see you back soon!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The W Austin is located in a great location with lots of nearby restaurants, bars, and boutiques. During the summer, the pool (Wet Deck) is pretty happening (although small) and a nice place to relax, get some sun, and hope a cute waiter keeps bringing you mojitos. Service is on par for a W- whenever/whatever helped me to get an empty fridge for a friend who needed to store breast milk, brought extra bathroom amenities, and offered to drop us off a few blocks away at a boutique with the house car (first come first serve availability within a mile or two of the hotel). Valet was busy was expeditious, and the food at Trace was pretty decent, although our waiter was aloof and not very friendly. Overall a great place to stay if you're looking to splurge a little and want to be where the action is.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Hello Tiffany, thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback and am glad to hear that my team was able to make your stay more enjoyable and memorable. My apologies for any service issues you experienced at Trace, we strive for a superior experience so appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

Thank you again, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!