“Trendy hotel, but falls short of other hotels in the same class.”
Review of W Austin

W Austin
Ranked #17 of 202 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Houston, Texas
“Trendy hotel, but falls short of other hotels in the same class.”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The W is nice at first glance, but once you are there it's apparent the hotel took some shortcuts to save money. The furniture is cheap in the rooms, the hotel restaurant had a small menu of average tasting food, and the hotel "club," was basically a bar/lounge. I would say the main attraction is the pool. Just a rectangular pool with music and waitstaff. Not a place for kids to hang out, really the entire hotel is more for a young crowd, not a family. We took our kids and rented a cabana at the pool, and had a good time. The hotel is very close to 5th & 6th streets, so a plus if you plan on walking the area.

• Stayed June 2014
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I appreciate your feedback regarding your experience and am glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed your time poolside. Thank you again for your feedback.

Drew McQuade

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is absolutely amazing!The staff is top notch & will go above & beyond. Truely whatever whenever. Atmosphere is great. Pool party is awesome. Andrew from night audit is very helpful & reliable. Jeff with lost & found is so helpful & fun. Definitely the place to be if you are wanting to stay in. No need to leave the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I am so glad to hear that Tony and Jeff were able to make your stay more memorable. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

The w is a beautiful hotel. But luxury hotels should have excellent service, the W does not. The concierge was so unhelpful and unfriendly. She was the epitome of aloof and seemed to be in her own world (woman with short blond hair). We went to the bar on a Friday night. There was unfortunately no place for the hotel guests to sit as they had maybe 1/4 of the seating reserved. And the waiter who promised to find us a seat (Caleb) never did so. The food and service at Trace was very good at breakfast. Overall, not a good value. We will stay elsewhere on our next visit.

• Stayed July 2014
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. We strive for a superior customer service experience, so my sincerest apologies that you did not experience this. If you are open to discussing your stay further, I'd very much like to address your feedback with my team, and would appreciate hearing from you. I can be reached at drew.mcquade@whotels.com or 512-542-3633. Thank you again for the feedback, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I had a great time hanging out with friends near the pool and in the bar. Great for young adults, but I would not take my young kids here. There is tons to do in the area and lots of places to eat nearby. The location could not be any better.

Room Tip: Ask for a room upgrade when checking in. They will usually accomodate.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Hello and thank you for your review of the W Austin. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

My wife and I enjoyed two nights at the W last week while i was on business. The hotel offers a good location in Austin with fantastic modern rooms. She was able to enjoy pool time and walking about town while i attended business meetings.
Mike from Lafayette, California

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Hello Mike, thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I am so glad to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to welcoming you both back again soon!

Spring, Tx
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Hubby & I stayed here one night. It was unlike our usual choices such as a Hyatt or Hilton. It is very modern...concrete floors in the lobby, clean lines, geometric wallpaper and a sleek pool. The staff is very friendly and helpful. But, parking is ridiculous,about 30 or a little more per night! Wi-Fi...$15/day! There are snacks in your room, but you probably don't want to pay $6 for a tiny single serve size of Pringles or $8 for 2 small packs of M&Ms. Breakfast for two would have been about $50 if I was foolish enough to pay that. I will look elsewhere next time. There are many others just as nice but without the gouging. I will say that the bed was comfortable though!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank linday12
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I appreciate your feedback regarding your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Staff was wonderful and enjoyed my stay! When back in Austin I definetley stay at W again! Booked at Hilton Austion and was total dissapointed. Thats why we changed our hotel to W. And it was a very good decisicon, very good location and good food too! You should try also the italian restaurant on the other side of the road.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Hello and thank you for your recent review. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the W Austin again soon.