“Exquisite japanese dining experience”
Review of Uchiko

Uchiko
Reserve with OpenTable
Uchiko is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 3,781 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 43rd
Description: We are proud to announce... Chef Tyson Cole, winner of the 2011 James Beard Foundation Award for Best Chef Southwest--Thank you Uchi and Uchiko family and friends for your support! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Uchiko, translated as "child of Uchi" from Japanese, is the next restaurant venture for renowned executive chef and sushi master Tyson Cole. Located in central Austin, this second location of Cole's highly-praised Uchi presents the same excellence and energetic atmosphere of the original with some noteworthy additions. Uchiko features a new menu with Uchi's same style of innovative and fresh cuisine, a main dining room that accepts reservations throughout the evening and an eat-in bar/café area.
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Amazing dining experience! The best way to describe the food is gourmet sushi, a clear and creative departure from traditional sushi. Every roll is prepared with a new twist such as basil leaves in the sea urchin rolls (never seen that before in Japan or anywhere else). The tastes and textures are extremely delicate and exquisite. The fried milk desert is a must have. Excellent dining atmosphere in a rustic japanese setting with a modern twist. The service is excellent as well. As you might expect, it's pricey, but so worth the $70 a head we paid. Highly recommended.

There are newer reviews for Uchiko

Reviewed 18 August 2013

My husband & I loved our anniversary dinner at the Houston Uchi so we decided to try Uchiko during our Austin visit. Believe the hype! Service, atmosphere, food and drinks are all top-notch and worth the price. We preferred Uchiko to the Houston Uchi for its mellow-er (think modern farm house, and I'm a sucker for "cool blue") less noisy atmosphere and fantastic service (but Houston Uchi also has excellent servers). The menu is a mix of creative "classics" and daily specials (based on what's seasonal & freshest/available). I HIGHLY recommend asking your server for advice. We told her what we liked at Uchi, what sounded good from the Uchiko menu & let her pick everything except dessert (since my husband really wanted to try the tobacco cream [in his words...the best "man-chocolate" dessert ever!] and I wanted the sweet corn sorbet [fantastic! delicious mix of sweet & salty]). We started with the loup crudo (mediter­ranean sea bass, texas grape­fruit, avocado, fennel vinegar), which was cool, tart and delicious followed by the maguro (sashimi and goat cheese big eye tuna, pumpkin seed oil, fuji apple) which I slightly preferred. We also highly recommend the yokai berry & hama chile which we loved at Uchi. The fried brussel sprouts are sweet, savory & crunchy and the tiger cry roll had a nice "TX beef twist" that complemented the rest of our menu. For our entrees we enjoyed a delicious smoky corn & cheddar congee from the specials and fantastic short ribs. Portions are small and meant to be savored & shared. Soy sauce isn't necessary. I told our friendly, excellent & knowledgeable server that I wished they offered some sort of small spongy bread to sop up all the delicious sauces that came with every course of our menu. Presentation is beautiful, not just the food, but the server's descriptions and advice as how to best enjoy the dish. The wine list is creative, fairly priced, and complements the food very well. Our server treated us to a complimentary strawberry dessert special that she had unsuccessfully tried to talk me into...it was great! I love that the desserts aren't too sweet. They might sound strange, but they are delicious and a great way to end a wonderful meal. Reservations are a must. We made ours 3 weeks in advance. We will return.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

I frequent Uchiko - the sushi here is amazing, the staff is always super sweet, and the atmosphere is awesome. I actually prefer Uchiko over Uchi - they both have amazing food, and are hands down some of the best sushi restaurants I have been to!

Reviewed 6 August 2013

I have no idea how they did it, but I was mesmerized by the food in this place! Totally recommendable. The staff were nice and the food was unbelievable.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

My husband and I had our 2 year wedding anniversary here and I am so glad we did. Our server was very knowledgable and very sweet. He assisted us with the menu from drinks to food and wished us a happy anniversary as well. The menu can be intimidating, but he explained things in detail to us. We ordered several different things off the menu with the pork belly hot tasting being our favorite. We ended with two desserts and we were brought a third as a happy anniversary dessert. All three of them were amazing. This was one of the best meals I've ever had.