“Consistently Excellent”
Review of Uchiko

Uchiko
Reserve with OpenTable
Uchiko is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 3,801 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 43rd
Description: We are proud to announce... Chef Tyson Cole, winner of the 2011 James Beard Foundation Award for Best Chef Southwest--Thank you Uchi and Uchiko family and friends for your support! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Uchiko, translated as "child of Uchi" from Japanese, is the next restaurant venture for renowned executive chef and sushi master Tyson Cole. Located in central Austin, this second location of Cole's highly-praised Uchi presents the same excellence and energetic atmosphere of the original with some noteworthy additions. Uchiko features a new menu with Uchi's same style of innovative and fresh cuisine, a main dining room that accepts reservations throughout the evening and an eat-in bar/café area.
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I've been to Uchiko before and upon my return this time around, the restaurant did not disappoint. The menu is always interesting and fun, with exciting deviations from the "typical" Japanese fare. Both times I have chosen the ten-course tasting menu, and both times I experienced an excellent meal.

My absolute favorite course was a duck-confit with shreds of duck that were the consistency of carnitas, served in a smoky mason jar, with interesting Asian flare. Wine pairings are more or less done a-la-carte, but were executed very well. The sushi coursers were flawless.

My only criticisms are as follows. There was a slight disruption in the pace of service near the beginning. First a very long wait between courses, then a later course served before we had even finished the previous course. Not a major issue, though. Also, while a pork dish was very tasty, I only ate half, because the second half was literally 100% fat with no meat on the bones. Maybe this was on purpose, but I just don't like to eat a big bite of animal fat, however flavorful. The rest of that course was incredible though.

All in all, Uchiko remains a favorite and I would highly recommend to anyone dining in Austin.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

This is a must try. Absolutely every dish we had was excellent. And we tried a variety of dishes. We had sashimi, tuna, salmon with all kinds of wonderful flavors. A must try is the brussel sprouts appetizer - trust me it is delicious!

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Beautiful, relaxed and rustic setting. Excellent, friendly and efficient staff. Fish so, so fresh. I love how restrained each dish is. Yellowtail was dressed with a delicate micro shiso leaf in a light bath of lemon juice and olive oil. Brussel sprouts are absolutely addictive! Dessert was creative and not too sweet. I could eat here just about every night.

Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

First time here but thought we would give it a try since Uchi was so good. Did the signature tasting and all was exceptional except the pork slices. Way too fatty but when we mentioned it to our great waiter Brett, he substituted an additional selection at no charge. As was the case at Utchi, the sake toro melts in your mouth and we had to order another round of it. Total cost for the meal was under $150 for two which was not bad, especially with four sake drinks. We will come back !

Reviewed 11 June 2014

It's always good to plan a visit to Austin and ensure a booking at either Uchi or Uchiko. This year was my first time to Uchiko and it lived up to all of the hype.

It's brighter and bigger than Uchi but incredibly comfortable and the food delicious. The service was incredibly attentive and genuine.

I'm looking forward to my return!

Been to Uchiko? Share your experiences!