“An Amazing Place!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Richmond, Texas
“An Amazing Place!”
Reviewed 24 July 2012

My daughter and I just returned from 2 nights at Travaasa, and loved every minute of it. We only wish we could have stayed a couple more nights. The resort has done a wonderful job of incorporating the buildings into the truly gorgeous natural habitat. Everywhere we turned, we saw so many visually stunning details to marvel over. We enjoyed our morning coffee on the breezy, tree top balcony, while watching the sun rise over the canyon. We repeated the experience at sunset with a glass of wine, before wandering down to the restaurant to enjoy a candelight dinner on the tree-lined patio at the excellent on-site restaurant. The chef uses locally farmed and harvested, organic produce and meats, so the menu changes frequently. All of our meals were excellent. The green beans I had for dinner tasted as though they had just been picked from the garden! The waitstaff was excellent and friendly, and even remembered us by name from one day to the next. This resort is unpretentious and casually elegant. It doesn't put on airs. It's a place to pack light and just be yourself. I was totally comfortable sans makeup, wearing shorts and sandals throughout our visit. The beds were incredibly comfortable, with natural cotton sheets, and sumptuous comforters and pillows. The rooms were quiet and peaceful. We booked a spa facial and foot scrub, and the services were top notch. We enjoyed the heart-starter morning hike through the hills and cedar forests, the yoga classes, and relaxing by the beautiful infinity pool. The guided trail ride with Jody was a highlight of our trip, and we only wished we could have stayed long enough to book the equine experience. That will be a priority the time we visit. Although we had considered driving into Austin for an afternoon visit, we could not bear to tear ourselves away from the resort for even a couple of hours. We left feeling totally relaxed and refreshed. We can't wait to return!
With regard to the comments about difficulty locating the resort- I had requested directions using mapquest, and was left short by several miles. Luckily my daughter's iphone GPS led us directly to the resort. Don't depend on mapquest to find your way. Also, unless you've visited before, I would recommend arriving before dark, as the road in is dark, steep, and twisty, and the entrance may be difficult to spot.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank mjd321
Tim T, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Dear mjd321,
Thank you very much for the full and very complimentary review! The fact that you are contemplating a return, says it all for us! I think you 'hit the mail on the head' in your review, and I really appreciate it. Thank you.
Very best,
Tim

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Austin, TX
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Recently I booked spa services for 3 of us, (my grown daughter, her mother-in-law, and myself). The spa services were very good although albeit pricey. The food quality was so mediocre that I would consider going to another spa just because of it. All 3 of us agreed about that. What was really annoying was to be told that we would only be allowed to stay for 2 hours on either side of our treatments and then to be told with a really phony smile to "enjoy and relax". Does this really make for a return customer? Perhaps Travaasa does not want customers to come for the day as they make more money on lodging. The place seemed pretty empty when we were there but nevertheless, we did not feel that welcome. Also, I did not appreciate being bullied to give the gratuity before I received the spa treatment. I prefer to give gratuity directly to the massage therapist. I was told I could not do this. Not wanting to have a conflict right up front, I went along with it but did not like the pushiness.I liked the place when it was The Crossings before Travaasa took over. Just not the same genuine experience anymore.Out of town guests are "captive" there as it is not convenient to Austin so keep in mind that it is a resort experience and you will be stuck with what they provide.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Onion-free
Dear Onion-free,
I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations, or possibly recollections?. I think I could resolve and/or address some underlying issues with you in person, or by phone; but this is not the forum for that. Please do call me, as I would like you to continue coming to Travaasa, and enjoy it as much as most others do: and you have in the past.
Thank you for your time.
Regards,
Tim Thuell
tim.thuell@travaasa.com
512 493 3668
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I can't rate Travasaa high enough. I went on a trip with my friend and we both loved every moment of our trip. The staff and service is EXCELLENT. The grounds are GORGEOUS. The food is really top notch. The spa treatments were heavenly. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: One tip - make sure to request a room by the spa and pool if possible! Second tip - bring your own...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rachel987654321
Tim T, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Dear Rachel987654321,
Can't imagine why you left? Thanks so much for the glowing review! And see you again very soon I hope.
All the best,
Reviewed 23 July 2012 via mobile

The rooms have a great view and very relaxing. Lots of trails and activities to keep you fit.

• Stayed July 2012
Tim T, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
Dear Bear4747
Short. Very sweet. Great!
Thanks
San Angelo, Texas
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We opted for the Total Travaasa package (all inclusive except for alcohol), plus a spa credit of $125 per day per person we stayed (which can be combined any way/day you want). Great activities - I ran the trails and took fitness and yoga classes, while the wife took culinary and knife-skills lessons. We also learned to two-step and waltz.

Rooms were spacious. Grounds were immaculate. Food was quite good. Staff was service-oriented. No tipping is allowed, as gratuity is either added to bills automatically or is included in the package. Pool is decent size, though it can get crowded if enough "day pass" guests use it.

For an all-inclusive in the Hill Country, Travaasa can't be beat.

Room Tip: Entire property is gorgeous. Canyon-view rooms are very nice, but I wouldn't necessarily pay too...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JSL33
Tim T, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Dear JSL33,
Nice review! Thank you. I do appreciate your nod towards the Total Travaasa Package: it is very good value! We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Best,
New York, NY
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Perhaps it's on account of reading very high reviews here, but I was somewhat let down by Travaasa Austin.

I don't dispute that the property is beautiful -- the vistas as well as the grounds. But I thought there were a lot of kinks in the system. To start, we had a very difficult time finding the property when we arrived at Austin Airport at night. The property is located in a neighborhood filled with suburban subdivisions. There are no signs in sight and the road is not very well lighted. The hotel's website only provides a google maps link -- which really isn't enough if you're coming at night.

The room was tasteful but on the small side. Don't expect anything particularly memorable.

The food at the restaurant was very good. But the service could use work .The servers were absent and knew little about the menu (even asking basic questions). Same with the reception: I felt as though the staff was fine but no one went out of his/her way.

I didn't spend much time on activities as I was in Austin to visit friends, but I did go to one class (instructor showed up 20 minutes late) and also to the gym. The gym was fair -- what you'd expect to find at a Hilton or whatnot, hardly a full service gym.

In short, this was a decent place to stay on account of the grounds and views. But I wouldn't expect too much from the very high TripAdvisor rating.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NYinTransit
Tim T, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, 20 July 2012
Dear NYinTransit,
Thank you for posting; I am sorry we did not live up to your expectations. We do strive to be very good at what we do, and really need honest feedback like yours to help us along: thank you. Please do try us again, and contact me in advance if you do.
Best,
Tim Thuell
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Travaasa was the perfect location for our company meeting. Great meeting rooms and also various relaxation options to participate in with my colleagues. People traveled in from all over the US to attend and they raved about the amenities. Even though we were working most of the 3 days, we enjoyed several of the activities and all vowed to return to enjoy the resort to its fullest. The service at Travaasa was impeccable, a very helpful and friendly staff. The hill country views, the food, the spa and the negative edge pool added special value to the location. For being a health conscious resort, it was nice to have some delicious pasties to round out the menu. Kudos to the pastry chef.

Room Tip: ask for a hill country view
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank katherinem426
Dear Katherine M
Thanks for the great review. Our corporate business is extremely valuable to us, and we appreciate your feedback. We hope to attract more groups such as yours! Thanks for coming!
All the best
Tim
Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Four Seasons Hotel Austin
#15 of 203 in Austin
W Austin
W Austin
#18 of 203 in Austin

Been to Travaasa Austin? Share your experiences!