“Great experience - excellent customer service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Travaasa Austin

Travaasa Austin
Ranked #10 of 200 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Dallas, Texas
“Great experience - excellent customer service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

Visited this spa in January of 2014 for a girls' getaway. I was blown away by the excellent customer service - the people at the front desk, the spa, the restaurant, housekeeping - everyone was incredibly warm, friendly and happy to help. I'm a bit of a spa snob and I loved the treatments I got (Thai massage, honey body treatment and sleepy-time aromatherapy massage). The therapists were great. The infinty pool overlooking Lake Travis was scenic. The food in the restaurant (the menu changes every day, so you don't get bored) was healthy and delicious. Would recommend the total Travaasa package that includes meals so you don't have to worry about getting snacks whenever you get the munchies. Beautiful property with hiking trails. Loved this place and will definitely be going again very soon!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Lavender room - it was great because of close access to the spa and restaurant.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
DFWTraveler78,
Thanks so much for your Great review of Travaasa. We so appreciate you taking the time to let us and others know how much you and your girl's group enjoyed your stay here. It means a lot from a "spa snob" as we know that there are plenty of other places where you could choose to stay. I do hope that you return to visit us again soon,
Warm regards,
Kristine Huffman, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

You should allow 1/2 stars, Trip Advisor...I would give it 4.5.

We visited Travaasa for my 40th birthday the last week in December, and had a great stay there. Thanks to my sister for the experience and memories! I thought I would break down my review by way of overall accommodations, spa, food, and activities. Hopefully, you find it helpful!

Accommodations:

We were in a “trailview” room which had 2 beds. We were in the “7” building, which was incredibly convenient to the spa and pool, and a short walk to the rest of the facility. The room itself was nice and comfortable; particularly the beds (had there not been so much going on outside of our room, we could have hung out in them longer)! The toiletries were nice, but the ones we got on the first day were much nicer than that ones on days 2-4; not sure what was up with that? The robes and slippers in the room was a nice touch, and we wore them often (mostly to the spa and hot tub). A few minor notes: There was not a “whole” door on the shower, so water went on the floor after a shower. Not sure if that was an intentional design, but it was a bit of an annoyance with two people sharing the room Also, the fan only had one speed; HIGH. Again, not a big deal, but a “LOW” setting would have been appreciated! I also would have loved a bathtub, but spent a good amount of time in the hottub instead. I would have loved to swim in the gorgeous Infinity pool, but alas, it was too cold outside for that.

We had nightly turn down service, which was lovely, as they brought us little bags of kettle corn with a note from the general manager; another nice touch!

The facility was nicely laid out, and all of the activities were easily accessible to walk to (people often offered us rides in the golfcart -- thanks, Cody!). One tip: get to the sign up sheets for activities early in the am, or you may miss out, as spots fill up quickly. That said, I would also suggest going to the welcome center when the activity is ready to begin; regardless of whether you have made “the list”, as many people do not show up to things for which they signed up. I particularly loved the Solidago building; an amazing space to practice yoga. One of the things I loved in Jean’s Kitchen (beyond the space, itself, which is amazing), was the fire that was always on, and the s’mores that accompanied it. One night, after dinner, Thad, from the front desk even lit a fire for us outside, so we could hang out, and brought us the s’mores makings from the kitchen; all while tending to people checking in, etc. Which brings me to my next point…

The staff was the most customer-service focused of any resort I have ever visited (and I have been to many). From the kitchen staff (Jerry was our buddy the whole week) to the activities folks – we loved Courtney and Susan, in particular, front desk – Amy is awesome, and the spa staff, it’s clear that having you relax completely and enjoy yourself is of utmost importance to Travaasa. The icing on the cake (of service) was when we were getting ready to fly home (into a snow-storm), and Adam, the kitchen manager made “travel packs” for us; dried fruits, waters, and other goodies that were greatly appreciated and consumed that night after being stuck in an airport for hours, and having to stay overnight (insert smiley face). You may look at the price-tag of this resort for the “Total” package and be a bit intimidated, but I felt that I got what I paid for when it was all said and done; particularly with regard to the food and resort credit (which translated to massages for us)…

Spa:

Travaasa runs a nice spa, but admittedly, it is overpriced if you're not doing the total package and having some resort credit included. My sister and I both had 3 massage treatments during our 4 day stay, and we wanted to highlight Amalie and Shannon as exceptional massage therapists, but there were others who were not nearly as skilled, so consistency could be improved. Travaasa does a different type of hot stone massage than other places; using hot and cold stones, and it was really relaxing. My body had a strange reaction to the stones, and when I shared the details with the manager of the spa, Kayla, she more than made up for the situation, illustrating the exceptional customer service mentality that Travaasa has, as a whole.

Food:

Chef Ben is a master, and is also a super nice guy. We really enjoyed sitting at the community table, and watching he and his staff do their thing; highlighting fresh ingredients. There is abundance of food at each sitting, so you will not go hungry (but you may miss some carbs -- Sorry, Ben, kale is not always as good as fresh pasta, if I am being honest). Some of their dishes were a bit unusual, so take the leap of faith to try new things – antelope, anyone?! It was good! A few notable items: their goat cheese, in general is fantastic, and the goat cheese ice cream we had on New Years Eve is one of the best things I have ever consumed (we had seconds). See, Ben -- I told you it would make the review! Their beet tart, made with goat cheese, was also fantastic (especially the crust, flavored with tarragon). We loved the kale smoothies, and pretty much had one each afternoon. It was made with ginger, citrus, etc. Speaking of ginger, the Maine Root Ginger soda was absolutely delicious, and something I may need to have shipped to my house. Their chocolate cayenne flourless chocolate cake was also terrific. If you are on the “Total Travaasa” plan, don’t be afraid to ask to try a few things; they’re thrilled to accommodate you!

Experiences: wanted to highlight a few

I started off my week with a private yoga class with Susan, whom I liked very much, and where we focused on challenging poses to enhance my practice. We took several yoga classes throughout the week, and my sister, who is a yoga novice enjoyed them quite a bit! The group yoga classes are not difficult; they’re perfect for anyone who wants to try it out, and the instructors are easy to follow, but if you’re experienced, you will likely not be challenged; just wanted to be upfront about that.

Giant swing: Really cool experience, where you’re hoisted up in the air, pull a cord, and are just left to swing in the breeze. My sister and I both have back issues, and Scott, Courtney and Joshua were all really terrific instructors who worked with us, and allowed us to try a somewhat modified experience (in other words, you don’t have to go all the way to the top to still experience it).

Equine encounter / horseback riding: I will admit it: as a fast paced North-Easterner, I was skeptical about “communicating with horses”, but this may have been my favorite experience at Travaasa; certainly memorable. Jodie and Matt are your guides for the horse encounters, and were really great guys who clearly love horses! The equine encounter pairs you up with a horse, and you basically learn to connect non-verbally with them, and then test out your “leadership” of them by getting them to follow your commands in a ring (with them unleashed). Patience is required (which I lack), so it was a good exercise for me. It was a very cool experience, and I would highly recommend that if you plan to do the train rides, you try to do the equine encounter on the same day; that way you can connect with your horse before you ride it. Re: the horseback riding, be prepared for some steep hills that are very rocky, but the horses are very comfortable with the trails.

Farm tour: Let me say that Kim, who runs the farm is one of the most knowledgeable people I have ever heard about food. She is really passionate a bout what she does, and her connection to the kitchen was obvious; hence the farm to table focus. She’s only been growing things there for a year, and already has quite an impressive garden. It was really cool to see things in the ground on your plate that night!

A few other things to note: if you're flying into Austin, and needing a car service, it's about $75 each way (Clean Air Limo was on time and very professional). The place pretty much shuts down at night, so if you're looking for a wild time, this ain't it. One note to the property: it was a bit dark, so you may want to put up more lights along the paths at night. I felt safe, given the gated community, but someone may trip and fall at some point.

So, that sums up our trip to Travaasa: a pricey-but-worth-it (for that special occasion) kind of place. For me to have not turned on my work phone the whole time I was there, says a lot about how disconnected I was from the reality of life! Enjoy!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank mikeandkristin
mikeandkristin,
WOW! Thanks so much for a great and complete review of Travaasa! I know travelers rely on Trip Advisor to help them select the perfect get-away and am sure that readers will find your information very helpful. We are honored that your sister chose us to help you celebrate your very important birthday and hope that you return again soon.
Best to you,
Spring, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

Stayed at the Travaasa over the New Years last week. Truly an amazing experience. So exceeded our expectations and we will be back soon. The staff, spa, dinning, room, grounds and experiences were all top shelf.!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Andy B,
I really appreciate you taking the time to review Travaasa and am very happy to hear that you had an amazing New Year's celebration here. I hope that you come back soon and that you plan to join us again to help bring in 2015!
Best,
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

What does that mean? Apparently it means that you can have wonderful locally sourced meals, great wine, gorgeous long range views, a comfortable bed and bathroom and still feel like a kid at a luxury sleep away camp!
From the horses to the zip line, there is something for everyone. No kids under 16 so for those of you who want some romance AND fun this is a great choice.
The infinity pool is beautiful. The 2 and a half mile hikes are invigoration. Didn't even try the spa, but it would be a great addition to the weekend.
I would consider this a wonderful addition to a hotel in Austin, either the Four Seasons Austin or the San Jose Hotel, to round out a 5 night Texas getaway. Get the music etc. in Austin, and then venture out to the Texas Hill Country for a totally different experience. I promise you will try things you didn't know you would enjoy, eat something unusual and delicious, and go home totally rejuvenated.

Room Tip: Splurge on the 3rd floor room. The view is worth it. If you aren't sure how you want to use th...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Becky8319
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Dear Becky8319,
What great praise! Thanks so much for your review of Travaasa. I am happy that you enjoyed yourself so much here and found so much to do. Hopefully you'll find some time to visit our spa on your next visit. I love your suggestion of a Town & Country-style visit to the Austin area and am working on a package like that now, so we'll keep you posted.

All the best to you in 2014,
Houston, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

I visited Travaasa for a couple of days after Christmas so that I could spend some time reflecting on 2013 and preparing for 2014. This was my first time to visit and it went beyond my expectations. The staff is so friendly and down to earth. The scenery is absolutely beautiful. The entire feeling of Travaasa is one of peacefulness. I had a canyon room and the view was incredible. I watched the sunrise over the canyon from my room. The food was amazing! So fresh and delicious. I also did the equine encounter and that was an excellent experience. I spent many hours in the spa one of the days I was there. I had a facial, eye and scalp treatment along with a detox scrub/massage and foot treatment. All were fantastic! I can not wait to plan my next trip to Travaasa!

Room Tip: I was extremely glad that I paid a little extra for a canyon room. The views are amazing.
1 Thank mamaintx
mamaintx,
Thanks for your review of your stay at Travaasa. I am so glad that you had a fantastic time and enjoyed so many of our services and experiences. It is great that you took some time for yourself preparing for 2014. I hope you have a healthy, happy and adventurous New Year. See you soon!
Kristine Huffman, General Manahger
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

I just returned from another stay at Travaasa. I have stayed there several times before and the place just keeps getting better. The staff are so helpful and friendly. The reservation and check in process was all very easy and staff made sure that I had the room and view that I requested. The rooms are very comfortable and the views of the Balcones Canyon are wonderful. The restaurant has wonderful food and can accommodate vegetarian, vegan, gluten free diets, you name it. Both the food and service are excellent! The spa is wonderful as well. I had several massages, facials, and body treatments. All were great and, again, the staff are very friendly and professional. I went on an Equine Encounter for the first time and had a wonderful time with a quarter horse named Red - very powerful experience! Good walking trails and lots of activities whether you are athletically inclined or just want to relax with some artistic opportunities. I cannot recommend this place enough. Go for yourself and you will understand.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the canyon, be sure to let the reservation folks know. If you are going to th...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Ellen S,
Thanks so much for your glowing review of Travaasa! We are so glad you are one of our regular visitors and that you think we keep getting better and better. We're certainly trying and have lots of fun, new adventures planned for 2014. Hope to see you again soon,
Happy New Year,
Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

My week at Travaasa was incredible. Staff was ridiculously nice and attentive, food was crazy good and creative (definitely, definitely, definitely do the all-inclusive option - you will not be disappointed), and the experiences/activities were fantastic. I can't say enough about it - but here's the upshot: I can't vacation anywhere else ever again. This is not an exaggeration. Travaasa Austin has everything I could possibly need: great food, great accommodations, great spa, great pool, and great activities.

Room Tip: I stayed in the 5th Casita, which was geographically perfect: right across from the spa/pool and clo...
1 Thank TJ14123
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, 25 December 2013
TJ14123,
Thanks so much for your wonderful review of Travaasa! I am really glad that you liked the food, accommodations, spa, pool and activities, but best of all, that you enjoyed our team so much. It was a pleasure having you stay with us for the week and we all look forward to your return.
Warm regards and best wishes for 2014.