“We haven't even been there yet & already impressed ”
Review of Travaasa Austin

Travaasa Austin
Ranked #14 of 203 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“We haven't even been there yet & already impressed ”
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

We are headed to Travaasa in late July for a girls weekend and I just wanted to take a moment to say that I have been given such incredible customer service by Greta over the phone. All 5 of us are coming from various places around the US and have different needs and questions so I have been barraging poor Greta and she has been nothing but knowledgeable and kind. Can't wait to thank her in person in a few weeks!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Glombardo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

We are heading to Travaasa at the end of July with 5 of us for a girls weekend. We are all coming from various parts of the US so planning has been a little complicated. I have been in charge of reservations and I just have to give major props to Greta for putting up with my endless phone calls and having the answers to all my questions. Can't wait to thank her in person in a few weeks!!

Stayed July 2014
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear Glombardo,
Thank you so much for your pre-review of our property. I am looking forward to meeting you and your group and know you will have a great time with us.

Best,
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We booked here thinking that this would be a great "honeymoon" for us without traveling far from home (we are in Houston). The grounds looked beautiful, the food looked amazing, the spa menu was great, the activities looked fun and the room accommodations looked nice. With that being said, we booked a Nature Trail Room for 4 nights. Two of those nights were "Total Travaasa" and the other two being a la carte.

THE GOOD: The grounds are beautiful, our food (especially dinner the first night) and the resident sommelier was fabulous. Pairings were spot on and our meal was delicious. We were able to enjoy the beautiful outdoor dining patio courtesy of the bottle of mosquito Off our waiter offered us. No complaints on the food or the service at the restaurant. We like to take our time and not be rushed so for us, they were very accommodating. The staff everywhere was very nice and friendly.

We spent an afternoon at the pool and had an enjoyable time. There were towels that were plentiful. The pool is beautiful and the there was plenty of a seating for us. Keep in mind though, we were staying during the week.

THE BAD: We had a spa service the first day which was a couples massage. Granted, they are remodeling the spa so the treatment room was actually a guest room converted. Not bad as it was roomy enough for two massage tables and the therapists comfortably. This treatment was part of our Total Travaasa day which was included in the price. When checking out , I was told that the gratuity was included at 18% and was I "OK" with that. I felt pressured to pay more gratuity and feel it is in bad taste to ask a guest if they want to tip more on an all inclusive service. To me, if I want to tip more, I will. Otherwise, don't ask. Needless to say, on our final bill we were charged $300 extra for this service which was promptly removed by Jacqueline after confirming this should not have been charged.

Since it was our honeymoon, we were also sent a bottle of champagne with chocolate covered strawberries which was very thoughtful. The unfortunate part was the name was incorrect on a card and we were charged $51 for these which was also removed after bringing it to the staff's attention. Again, not something that you want to address when you are trying to relax.

THE UGLY:. Do not ever allow anyone to put you in room 1103. This has to be the worst room in the entire place (I hope). When we checked in, they gave us a different key because they said they changed our room. I was thinking, because we booked 4 nights, maybe they gave us an upgrade. Not so...

The room was the biggest disappointment of them all. It had one small window, was very dark and seriously lacked the space and amenities needed to please a guest at this price point. The closet area was so dark, I had to open the front door to see if I got all of my clothes off the shelves when we left. There was an Eco friendly light near the closet that felt like a Close Encounters movie scene and there was no place to sit other than the bed or the small desk chair. My husband sat in the chair and I sat on our cooler to enjoy a glass of wine since it was hot outside and we didn't want to get bit by mosquitos.

The queen size bed seemed ridiculously small and we are not big people. There was one nightstand and the outlets were far away leaving me to charge my ipad/iphone on the floor and my husband almost needing an extension cord for his CPAP machine. I have to say, this was the worst room I have ever stayed in and realizing there were corner units available right next door, I can't understand why they would change our room to this cave by the mechanical room, especially knowing we are here on our honeymoon.

The patio was maybe 4x4 feet and if the neighbor above you spilled their drink, you would get wet. There were simply things missing like a mini fridge! Seriously, you have people sweating and doing activities outside in the heat all day with no cold storage for drinks in their room? And we are paying $700 /night for all inclusive? Thank goodness we had a cooler is all I can say. These rooms should have mini fridges as a requirement.

My husband and I travel frequently and are used to good service and accommodations and we gladly pay for that. The room was 175 sq feet max....including the bathroom. On the website, all of the rooms show several windows however we had ONE small window and that was it....it was literally a 4x3 window (if that). Definitely not worth the price you are paying and the size of the room/ bed is not consistent with the look and feel of this place or the pictures on the website. Major disappointment!!!

After not sleeping well for the two nights, we cut our trip short and left two days early. We were too tired to even do the activities we wanted due to lack of sleep and couldn't stand to be in that room (aka shoebox) any longer. I agree with the other reviews about the rooms. There might be people there that want to do all of the activities and pass out from exhaustion and not care about relaxing in their room, but there are those other guests that do want to relax in their room and enjoy a glass of wine on the patio without feeling like they are in a low rent apartment.

This is by far the worst feature of the property! It can be hot in Austin and the rooms are so conservative and small you never feel comfortable staying inside and spending time together out of the heat which is very disappointing and unfortunate considering the price tag and the scenery.

I don't want to be harsh but paying over $1,200 for two nights was not an investment worth making and I feel like an honest review is the only way to make change happen and prevent other potential guests from experiencing the disappointment we did. Other than the food and nice people that helped us, it truly is an overpriced experience.

The activities are designed to keep people busy but a lot of the more enriching experiences cost approx. $75 per person extra. This seems steep and those activities should be included with the all inclusive rate.

We are not happy considering we tried to make it our honeymoon and feel we got charged an exorbitant amount for accommodations that you would find at a much lower price point. Not a good experience for us. We should have stayed at home.

Feeling tired and disappointed in Houston....

Room Tip: Don't choose room 1103
Green Features: Thoughtful and conscious. Lots of native landscaping and low impact plants. Recycling and trash receptacles on the paths. Farm to table concept and local food sourcing is consistent with the environmental practices.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Tiger6971
Dear Tiger6971,
I am so sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. I am going to reach out to you to see how we can make it up to you. I also don't understand why they put you in that particular room to celebrate you honeymoon and am looking into it. I am glad that you at least were able to enjoy the pool and a nice dinner, but we always hope that people enjoy their whole stay, not just small bits of it. Hopefully we can talk in the next few days so that I can arrange for compensation for your disappointment. Feel free to contact me at kristine.huffman@travaasa.com.
Kristine Huffman, General Manager.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

This is my third time here, and both times before were amazing. The service was great and the atmosphere was great. This time is disappointing. We came mid week because you get a slighter discount, but you suffer in service. We have been at the pool since 10 am (it is now 12:15) and there are no towels and no service. I called the front desk at 1145 to let them know (all the people around me are complaining too) because lunch is supposed to served at 1130 and we can't even get a drink. Still no one has come. There is a water fountain but no cups.

Also our room was so hot. We were both most of the night. We had it set to 70 but it hovered around 75-77. I called maintenance and they said they would check on it, but It didn't help. Around 930 this morning it was finally down to 73 and the room felt okay.

This is dramatically different from previous stays. I don't think I will come again during the week.

Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Permanenthoneymoon
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Permanenthoneymoon,
I am so sorry to hear that you aren't enjoying your stay with us this time. I am following up with the issues you mention. If you're still here, let's connect to see what I can do to make up to you.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We accidentally found Travaasa and are so glad we did. It's a low key and relaxed spa with just the right amount of options for activities, amazing treatments and most noticeably for us (being from out of state) was how incredibly nice everyone was. From the minute we arrived, the staff were so accommodating and helpful. We recharged our batteries and had a great girls trip to Austin.

Room Tip: Our room in casita 4 was lovely with a balcony overlooking the mountains.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Lois Griffin75,
Glad to hear that you accidentally finding Travaasa worked out so wonderfully. It sounds like you had some good R&R mixed with fun activities and great services I do hope that you and your friends return to visit us again next time you heading to Austin.
Best,
Frisco, Texas
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I took a last minute trip by myself for my birthday. Travaasa was everything I expected and more. The staff is amazing, friendly and helpful. Not once did I feel awkward about being by myself. Adam (food and beverage manager) was wonderful as was the chef. I really enjoyed chatting with them as I watched chef create his amazing dishes. The spa was phenomenal and I highly recommend Alex for the Honeybee body treatment. My room was beautiful. The bath products, heavenly. The challenge course was a big deal for me as it addresses a huge fear for me. Courtney and the staff, walked me through it and gave me so much encouragement. I wound up doing it twice!! As I was leaving today I was hugged and thanked for staying with them. Everyone made my trip so special. I could not ask for a more relaxing gift. I cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: I had a ground floor room and although many say the top floors have a better view, I enjoyed walking...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank JodiR67
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear JodiR67,
We are so honored that you joined us for your birthday and that you had such an amazing time. The team will be happy to hear that they helped make your day special and will look forward to seeing you back here soon,
kriscrack
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The resort is beautiful & peaceful….a perfect place to get away and unwind. though it is an "upscale" resort,,,the vibe is casual and very unpretentious.
view We had a canyon room with one queen bed which was (as another reviewer mentioned) on the small side. But, the bed was very comfortable and we never heard our neighbors (though I know that we had some.) And honestly, we did not spend a lot of time there, but did enjoy sitting outside on our patio on one evening.
The grounds and the pool were lovely. The spa was being renovated while were there, but we still enjoyed our services in its temporary home. The ladies at the spa were helpful in setting us up and I even took home some spa goodies!
The staff was friendly, helpful and always available when we needed someone. We had a great time at the fun & informative wine tasting with Edward. When (not if) we go back, we will definitely request to sit in his section at dinner so he can assist us with wine pairings. This guy is passionate about wine and knows his stuff! We enjoyed breakfast, lunch & dinner at the restaurant + snacks poolside with our Total Travaasa experience. all of our meals were very good…flavorful, fresh and I always went away satisfied but not feeling miserably full. The bartender (so sad I forget his name!) makes some creative and absolutely delish summer cocktails! I got brave & went with his recommendations…tried a couple of new things …so glad I did. Very impressive.
We went with the intention of signing up for a lot of the "experience." But we ended up just going with the flow…and doing our own thing. I will say that the sign up boards for activities do fill up quickly (they post them for sign up the night before at 9 pm) but I heard people say that they were able to join in activities that were filled up on the sign up sheets because there are typically "no-shows." Same thing with dinner reservations; reservations were full when we arrived for check in. But the person who showed us to our room suggested we show up at the restaurant to see if they might be able to accommodate us. After a very short wait, they did. Another option is eating at the bar where you can order from a separate bar food menu or the regular dinner one.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear kriscrack,
I appreciate your wonderful review of Travaasa. It sounds like you did a lot while you were here, but took some time to just go with the flow. We can't wait to have you back!
Kristine Huffman, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Archer Hotel Austin
#18 of 203 in Austin
JW Marriott Austin
JW Marriott Austin
#16 of 203 in Austin

Been to Travaasa Austin? Share your experiences!