“A great get away for locals”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Travaasa Austin

Travaasa Austin
Ranked #10 of 200 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Georgetown, Texas
“A great get away for locals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

My husband and I just spent one night at Travaasa as part of our 20th anniversary celebrations. We live in the area so it was only a 40 minute drive and then we felt like we were worlds away from the city. For those who like to try new things, be active and also have some down time this may be the perfect place for you. Most of the activities don't require any pre-planning, so if you feel like joining something last minute you can jump right in. We really enjoyed our private two-step lesson from the owner of the local Arthur Murray studio, as well as the group class (especially since no one else was in the group class so we got two private hours!). We really learned how to two-step and could go out dancing this weekend. Then we did the heart start hike the next morning - great way to start the day and then go grab breakfast. BTW - if the polenta french toast is on the menu you should try them. An amazing dish. Everything we ate there was very good - from the restaurant to the poolside food (and drinks). The service from all staff was very helpful and nice. They brought us a treat to our room to help celebrate our 20th - very much appreciated. For down time the pool is lovely. And quiet since no children under 16 are allowed - that's a great bonus for adults wanting to get away and relax. I'm already planning when I can have a weekend with my older-than-16 daughter, a girlfriend get away, and another trip with my husband to try out the spa when it's renovated (the spa is open, just in another building). Thanks for a great experience!

Room Tip: Liked the location of Casitas 5, 6 and 7 - they are near the pool and spa, but across property from...
1 Thank Adowell
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Dear Adowell,
We are so honored that you stayed with us to celebrate your 20th anniversary. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed everything so much and that you'll be back soon. We are glad that we are so close to Georgetown and can expect you back again soon.
Kristine Huffman, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We had an absolutely amazing weekend at Travaasa Austin. My husband wasn't too excited about going but 2 hours into our stay he was already mentally booking our next trip. There was so much to do and the food was wonderful. It was a nice balance between an active and relaxing weekend. The activities were fun and the spa was amazing. We did the total travaasa packages (all inclusive) and we think it was totally worth it. If you are wanting to take advantage of all the activities you can get to the resort as early as 9am on the day you check in and stay till 5pm on the day you check out. Free Wifi in the room. The pool was amazing!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SBerq
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Stow5Trev3,
So glad you had an amazing stay here at Travaasa! It is wonderful to hear that your husband shifted from dubious to delighted so early in your stay. Hope to see you guys again soon,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

We came here for the first time on Fourth of July weekend completely spur of the moment. Since we usually stay at the Four Seasons in Austin, which we love, Travaasa was up against stiff competition. But they fared pretty well. First of all, the service couldn't have been nicer, friendlier or more helpful. They were incredibly accommodating throughout our stay. The property is expansive and the views over the canyon and out to Lake Travis are stunning. We arrived early so our rooms weren't ready yet, but we were encouraged to participate in the many activities at the spa right away. There are roughly 20 on the schedule each day, ranging from archery to cooking classes to yoga. We both had treatments scheduled for later in the day, which were truly outstanding. Our room was nice, with a decent sized balcony, but the bathroom had only one sink and all of the rooms at the resort only have queen beds (we were told that they'd be adding king beds soon). As for the facilities, as I said, their property is very large, spanning several acres, with two hiking trails of about a mile each, a spa building (under renovation), fitness center, restaurant and several other building on property, including a lovely temple where we attended a guided meditation. The infinity pool commanded a lovely view. The food was excellent and surprisingly reasonable (especially in light of other reviews on this site complaining that it was overpriced). Appetizers were generally priced in single digits and entrees started at just $18. For fresh farm-to-table cuisine this was as well-priced as it gets. The arugula from their own garden was particularly delicious, but everything was good except for the desserts. My chocolate date cake was too dense and my wife's strawberry panna cotta was tasteless. There were a few other glitches as well, preventing me from awarding five stars. For instance, the A/C in the fitness center was functioning properly on the first day, which made our workout a lot tougher on a 90 degree day.

Dear davemh333,
Thanks so much for the Great review of Travaasa! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects of our resort, but am most gratified to read that you found our team helpful and friendly. Sorry for the glitches and will address them in our process of continuous improvement. Hope to see you again soon,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Travaasa is fantastic! The spa services are really good. The honey massage was just amazing. We also took a cooking class and went dancing at the Broken Spoke on Saturday night. A long time employee Keith and his wife Linda chauffeured us there and back. It's an Austin favorite and great people watching and dancing. Oh, and don't forget to take the wine tasting class with Edward.....can't wait to come back!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear Melissa W,
Thanks so much for your fabulous review of Travaasa! I'm glad you enjoyed the property and your outing to the Broken Spoke. You're right it is an Austin original! We can't wait to have you back.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

We are headed to Travaasa in late July for a girls weekend and I just wanted to take a moment to say that I have been given such incredible customer service by Greta over the phone. All 5 of us are coming from various places around the US and have different needs and questions so I have been barraging poor Greta and she has been nothing but knowledgeable and kind. Can't wait to thank her in person in a few weeks!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Glombardo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

We are heading to Travaasa at the end of July with 5 of us for a girls weekend. We are all coming from various parts of the US so planning has been a little complicated. I have been in charge of reservations and I just have to give major props to Greta for putting up with my endless phone calls and having the answers to all my questions. Can't wait to thank her in person in a few weeks!!

Stayed July 2014
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear Glombardo,
Thank you so much for your pre-review of our property. I am looking forward to meeting you and your group and know you will have a great time with us.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

We booked here thinking that this would be a great "honeymoon" for us without traveling far from home (we are in Houston). The grounds looked beautiful, the food looked amazing, the spa menu was great, the activities looked fun and the room accommodations looked nice. With that being said, we booked a Nature Trail Room for 4 nights. Two of those nights were "Total Travaasa" and the other two being a la carte.

THE GOOD: The grounds are beautiful, our food (especially dinner the first night) and the resident sommelier was fabulous. Pairings were spot on and our meal was delicious. We were able to enjoy the beautiful outdoor dining patio courtesy of the bottle of mosquito Off our waiter offered us. No complaints on the food or the service at the restaurant. We like to take our time and not be rushed so for us, they were very accommodating. The staff everywhere was very nice and friendly.

We spent an afternoon at the pool and had an enjoyable time. There were towels that were plentiful. The pool is beautiful and the there was plenty of a seating for us. Keep in mind though, we were staying during the week.

THE BAD: We had a spa service the first day which was a couples massage. Granted, they are remodeling the spa so the treatment room was actually a guest room converted. Not bad as it was roomy enough for two massage tables and the therapists comfortably. This treatment was part of our Total Travaasa day which was included in the price. When checking out , I was told that the gratuity was included at 18% and was I "OK" with that. I felt pressured to pay more gratuity and feel it is in bad taste to ask a guest if they want to tip more on an all inclusive service. To me, if I want to tip more, I will. Otherwise, don't ask. Needless to say, on our final bill we were charged $300 extra for this service which was promptly removed by Jacqueline after confirming this should not have been charged.

Since it was our honeymoon, we were also sent a bottle of champagne with chocolate covered strawberries which was very thoughtful. The unfortunate part was the name was incorrect on a card and we were charged $51 for these which was also removed after bringing it to the staff's attention. Again, not something that you want to address when you are trying to relax.

THE UGLY:. Do not ever allow anyone to put you in room 1103. This has to be the worst room in the entire place (I hope). When we checked in, they gave us a different key because they said they changed our room. I was thinking, because we booked 4 nights, maybe they gave us an upgrade. Not so...

The room was the biggest disappointment of them all. It had one small window, was very dark and seriously lacked the space and amenities needed to please a guest at this price point. The closet area was so dark, I had to open the front door to see if I got all of my clothes off the shelves when we left. There was an Eco friendly light near the closet that felt like a Close Encounters movie scene and there was no place to sit other than the bed or the small desk chair. My husband sat in the chair and I sat on our cooler to enjoy a glass of wine since it was hot outside and we didn't want to get bit by mosquitos.

The queen size bed seemed ridiculously small and we are not big people. There was one nightstand and the outlets were far away leaving me to charge my ipad/iphone on the floor and my husband almost needing an extension cord for his CPAP machine. I have to say, this was the worst room I have ever stayed in and realizing there were corner units available right next door, I can't understand why they would change our room to this cave by the mechanical room, especially knowing we are here on our honeymoon.

The patio was maybe 4x4 feet and if the neighbor above you spilled their drink, you would get wet. There were simply things missing like a mini fridge! Seriously, you have people sweating and doing activities outside in the heat all day with no cold storage for drinks in their room? And we are paying $700 /night for all inclusive? Thank goodness we had a cooler is all I can say. These rooms should have mini fridges as a requirement.

My husband and I travel frequently and are used to good service and accommodations and we gladly pay for that. The room was 175 sq feet max....including the bathroom. On the website, all of the rooms show several windows however we had ONE small window and that was it....it was literally a 4x3 window (if that). Definitely not worth the price you are paying and the size of the room/ bed is not consistent with the look and feel of this place or the pictures on the website. Major disappointment!!!

After not sleeping well for the two nights, we cut our trip short and left two days early. We were too tired to even do the activities we wanted due to lack of sleep and couldn't stand to be in that room (aka shoebox) any longer. I agree with the other reviews about the rooms. There might be people there that want to do all of the activities and pass out from exhaustion and not care about relaxing in their room, but there are those other guests that do want to relax in their room and enjoy a glass of wine on the patio without feeling like they are in a low rent apartment.

This is by far the worst feature of the property! It can be hot in Austin and the rooms are so conservative and small you never feel comfortable staying inside and spending time together out of the heat which is very disappointing and unfortunate considering the price tag and the scenery.

I don't want to be harsh but paying over $1,200 for two nights was not an investment worth making and I feel like an honest review is the only way to make change happen and prevent other potential guests from experiencing the disappointment we did. Other than the food and nice people that helped us, it truly is an overpriced experience.

The activities are designed to keep people busy but a lot of the more enriching experiences cost approx. $75 per person extra. This seems steep and those activities should be included with the all inclusive rate.

We are not happy considering we tried to make it our honeymoon and feel we got charged an exorbitant amount for accommodations that you would find at a much lower price point. Not a good experience for us. We should have stayed at home.

Feeling tired and disappointed in Houston....

Room Tip: Don't choose room 1103
Green Features: Thoughtful and conscious. Lots of native landscaping and low impact plants. Recycling and trash receptacles on the paths. Farm to table concept and local food sourcing is consistent with the environmental practices.
8 Thank Tiger6971
Dear Tiger6971,
I am so sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. I am going to reach out to you to see how we can make it up to you. I also don't understand why they put you in that particular room to celebrate you honeymoon and am looking into it. I am glad that you at least were able to enjoy the pool and a nice dinner, but we always hope that people enjoy their whole stay, not just small bits of it. Hopefully we can talk in the next few days so that I can arrange for compensation for your disappointment. Feel free to contact me at kristine.huffman@travaasa.com.
Kristine Huffman, General Manager.