“believe the reviews”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Birmingham, Alabama
“believe the reviews”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I wont say too much about whats right with this property, bc most of its been said already. The best description is like a summer camp for adults, except you get to drink alcohol, lounge by an infinity pool, and do whatever you want. Options galore. the staff is all around great, especially the folks who run the front desk (Amy) and the horseback riding (Jodie) and biking (Jeff). The ropes course guys are amazing as well.

Ill focus on the weak spots:

1. food options. overpriced and not too exciting. pool menus seriously lacking. good to have farm-to-table concept in the flagship restaurant, but maybe something more traditional and casual by the pool? all we wanted was chicken sandwich or nice salad. The all-incluisve option may be good for some, but add significantly to your price. I cant imagine you'll really want to eat of drink hundreds of dollars per day. fortunately there is a host of options close by. Despite the mostly negative reviews, you would be remiss to miss out on "The Oasis" a huge mega-restaurant located down the road. dont go there for the food as much as the awe-inspiring view. just go and at least have a drink, but food is not bad, just not special.

2. spa. [warning: it was under construction at our time and was in a temp location]. service was great and massage was relaxing. but the whole experience was weak. the setting in a converted guestroom was very anti-climatic. The worst part was before and after the actual massage. We just waited in a lame waiting room and had tea. no intimate or peaceful waiting area with running water (dont they all have that?) where you sit in a bathrobe and relax. and after, it was like " OK youre done, bye" not the whole experience Im used to. I would not return for this and feel that I wasted over $300 on couples massage. Did not compare to last massage I had in Napa...not even close and was same price.

In conclusion i would love to return. I would recommend it overall. The food thing is just my personal preference and I cant ding them on that. If not for the weak spa experience (at a premium price) I would have given the property 5 stars. I would not recommend wasting your money on it until perhaps after the renovation is done. Then Id give it another chance. But def go and have fun

Room Tip: get the canyon view, corner room
1 Thank FLguy22
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear FLguy22,
Thank you for your detailed and candid review of our property. I am glad that you enjoyed your visit and am truly sorry that your visit coincided with our spa renovation. I do hope that you return after October when our "new" spa will be open - complete with all the luxurious amenities you were seeking.
Best regards,
Kristine Huffman, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Been planning this trip for about 4 months and it way over exceeded mine and my wife's expectations. We hadn't been on a vacation for over 6 years, which is way too long, and needed some good relaxation and reconnecting time away from our 3 year old daughter. We wanted quiet and romantic, but still wanted to have some activities to do without having to go too far away. Bingo! We found it. From the moment we checked in, to the moment we left, everything was perfect. Amy at the front desk was awesome each and every time we saw her. The guy who took us to our room wasn't even a "bellman"; he was the maintenance guy(not dressed like one would think though). Garrett, I think? He took us on a tour of the property before taking us to our room, took in our luggage, showed us the room, and then asked if we needed anything before he left. Even the maintenance guy knows his stuff. The food was good, but be prepared to pay for it. I think it's a little high, but hey, it's a resort right? The pool is awesome. Heated at night and cool during the day. There are only 70 rooms and you have to be 16 to be on the property, so overcrowding at the pool is limited. They do allow guests who come for day spa services use the pool, which kind of stinks, because they tend to go to the pool before their treatments and save the best chairs at the pool for later. Fantastic turndown service daily with a little snack was a nice touch. The room was bigger than we thought, comfortable, and we couldn't hear any others around us. The staff was extremely friendly and would go out of their way to give you the best service. One issue I have is the activities on the schedule tend to overlap so the ones I wanted to do didn't coincide with the ones my wife wanted to do. For instance, Giant Swing - 10am. Farm Tour - 10am. Only once a day each. Sign up early. Thankfully Amy, again at the front desk, spoke with Joe at the farm and he agreed to let us take a look around on our way out of town. Awesome farm! So, we did the Giant Swing at 10am. Scott and CJ, if I remember correctly, were fun and made my wife comfortable with dropping about 50 feet straight down supported only with a harness and some carabiners. All in all, a very relaxing, special stay for us. We wanted quiet, relaxing, romantic, and some adventure and Travaasa Austin delivered it. Thanks Travaasa staff! We will be back. Then, onto Hana, Maui!

Room Tip: The "ground floor" rooms are actually what one would consider second floor. If you want t...
Green Features: Loved how the farm uses ecological practices to grow food. From using scraps from the restaurant to feeding the chickens organic feed, one can expect to get the best quality food.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear ttulefly,
We are so honored you joined us for your get-away. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed yourselves here and that you got what you wanted: a quiet, relaxing, romantic time away with a little adventure thrown in to keep things lively. We do hope that you come back for another visit as well as visit our Hana property.
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Loved it! The view is spectacular. It doesn't feel crowded even when full . The pool view is heavenly!
I would go again and bring family! Recommend it to others as well! It's so tranquil and serene and classes are wonderful!

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Nisey123,
Thank you for your Fantastic review of Travaasa. I am so glad to hear that you loved the pool and views. I hope you join us again for another tranquil visit.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Just adored this resort.Its maybe 20 minutes up in the hill country from Austin but you feel you are very far away.It is gorgeous.Our room was perfect..low key and comfortable with all you could ask for including a tremendous view.Nice balcony for sharing wine.The infinity pool is a standout.We did several of the activities and they were fun.We chose Archery and The Giant Swing.Would recommend both.The guys that help with the activities are terrific.The employees were every single one just great throughout our stay.The food on property was delicious.My favorite thing is the resort has a no kids piolicy which is fabulous.I have 2 kids, I love kids but I am so grateful there is one place left for adults to enjoy peace.The resort was so quiet and restful.I pray the no kids policy never gets changed. Be warned though that dinner prices are on the high side..delicious and locally sourced but high.

Room Tip: As k for a room as high as possible to get a better view.You can request a small refrigerator for yo...
Green Features: Its very eco friendly.That philosophy was present everywhere.
1 Thank Rkelly2014
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear Rkelly2014,
Wow! High praise from a Senior Reviewer! I am so glad to hear that you adored Travaasa and all of the team here. I appreciate you sharing your experience on Trip Advisor and be assured that there is no plan to change the "no kids" policy as we know how much our guests appreciate a little quiet time. Hope to see you again soon,
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Had a lovely overnight stay in mid July. The grounds are beautiful. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Really enjoyed all of the activities and the spa. The menu in the restaurant is limited but food very delicious and well presented. Only wish was for salad bar option at every lunch not just weekends. It is expensive but really appreciate that you can come early on day of arrival and leave late on day of departure so can take advantage of all the offerings. Definitely plan to return.

Green Features: Hotel is listed as environmentally friendly. However, rooms did not have recycling bucket and lawn was watered at midday.
1 Thank Polly W
Dear Polly W,
Thanks so much for your Wonderful review of Travaasa! I appreciate your comments and am glad that you enjoyed all of the activities, food and spa. I'll certainly pass along your salad bar suggestion to the chef. Looking forward to having you return again soon,
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Relaxing and beautiful location to have a girls outing or a couples getaway. Food is delicious , spa services are great, the service and staff are awesome. This is truly a diamond in the rough and worth an outing too!

Room Tip: They are all great. If you have trouble with stairs or dark paths at night, let them know up front.
Green Features: They are are very much green friendly and everything including the food is the freshest!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Lau0529,
So glad you enjoyed the food, spa, service and most of all the staff! We do hope that you return again with your sweetie or a group of friends for another relaxing getaway.
Best regards,
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My husband and I booked a five day getaway for our anniversary at Travaasa Austin. I was looking forward to a week off but had no idea it would be life changing! They offer a wide variety of scheduled activities - plenty to do for everyone. We are active so we chose hiking, bike pump, archery, geo-caching, horseback riding, bull fitness and swimming. Then there were the biggies - I'm afraid of heights - so these were more challenging - challenge course, rock wall, and giant swing. With the help and encouragement of the incredible staff, I faced my fears. To top it off, the couples massage was amazing. The room and view was over-the-top. Even housekeeping was great - leaving little snacks & treats for us at our bedside. HAVE to give a few shout-outs to some staff that felt like family by the end of the week: Jaime (hikes, challenge course, everything); DJ (wall); Ed(swing, wall); Courtney (wall, geo-caching); Scott (challenge course); Jeff (bikes); Jody (horses); Alex (salon); Amy (check-in). I cannot say enough about about the staff - they totally MADE this experience. Sorry if we missed anyone. We are back home and for the first time ever, at the end of a vacation, rested and ready to go back to work, refreshed! I will tell everyone about Travaasa Austin!

Room Tip: All rooms amazing!
3 Thank Stephkemp3063
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Dear Stephkemp3063,
Thanks for you wonderful review of Travaasa. I am glad that so many of our team members helped make your anniversary stay life-changing. It sounds like even though you were pretty active and enjoyed so many of our programs, you were able to rest and relax too. We hope to see you back again soon.
Kristine Huffman, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Four Seasons Hotel Austin
#15 of 203 in Austin
W Austin
W Austin
#18 of 203 in Austin

Been to Travaasa Austin? Share your experiences!