Extended Stay America - Austin - Northwest - Research Park
Ranked #142 of 197 Hotels in Austin
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

I was amazed at how at home I felt while staying here. Staff was excellent at getting us settled in and that's very helpful for my autistic son who's 6. I so look forward to staying here again soon as the location is great. Lots of shopping close by. Loved the pool as well. Great opportunity for my son to socialize as there were some really nice kids around to swim and play with. I highly recommend this hotel for it's great rooms,affordable price, and attentive and friendly staff.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Northwest - Research Park, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm so pleased to hear that you felt at home during your stay with us. Thank you again for sharing your experience and for your kind words about the hotel and staff. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next stay!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2013

This charming hotel has everything that a traveler need, but most of all the courtyard and pool area is quite inviting, an oasis during the hot summer days of Austin. with two giant oak trees and a well organize and clean environment.
It really refreshes the mind and relaxes the body after a long day at work. I have been a travelling RN for more than 10 years now and a global back packer for almost 20 years. Believe me, I know a seasoned hotel and staff when I see one...And this is one of them. Thanks to Amalia at the reception desk for her hospitality and speedy assistance, and all the diligent staff that keeps this charming Austin Oasis, pristine and accommodating. Keep up the good work and Cheers!

Room Tip: Choose a room with a courtyard view. Quite nice.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank dominiclimpin
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Northwest - Research Park, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our lovely pool and courtyard area. As well, it is really wonderful to know that our staff provided you with such great customer service, especially Amalia.

Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

Loved the room and the view....price well worth the stay! Kitchen a plus with kids...full size fridge! could use a larger sleeper sofa which would make it more worth while. Do ask for a room with doors between living room and king bed, that would be nicer.... Easy access to Mopac and 183 etc... Shopping, food etc all near as well.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank hheroldroden
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Northwest - Research Park, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your wonderful feedback. I'm glad that you appreciated our lovely poolside view and the other amenities we offer at our hotel. As well, I am very happy that you found your room to be comfortable and our location to be convenient.

Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon.
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

I'm not sure why there are so many negative reviews. I spent a weekend here June 7-9, visiting family in the area. The room on the 3rd floor was clean, great air conditioning, sparsely stocked but adequate kitchen with a small but full size refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, and 2 burner cooktop. The staff was welcoming and friendly. I did not use the pool, and although I checked out the "Grab & Go" breakfast, the offerings were just prepackaged granola bars and cereal, so don't count on even a bagel. I chose this hotel because it was convenient to where I needed to be. I was hesitant after reading the reviews, but it was great for the price and my purpose, and I will definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank jordanUSA
Jordan - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and considered it a great value. It also great that you found our hotel to be conveniently located right near where you needed to be on a daily basis.

Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

Let me start by saying I didn’t make the reservation here, and I never will. My company made the reservation for a week-long training. Our party had four rooms, and the hotel did a great job booking us close together. Check in was problematic because they could not find us by name, but the staff were friendly and accommodating, but only to a point.

When I first entered my room, I was bowled over by the smell of bug spray. I tried to open the windows, and wished I had a winch. When I did open them, the smell of diesel from the parking lot and roar of traffic on 183 sent me downstairs for a room change. The clerk said that the hotel was booked solid, and that I needed to come down the next day at noon for a room change. I explained that coming down at noon was impossible. I was there on business, and would be gone from early morning to early evening. The clerk sighed, and said, “Most of the better rooms are gone by then”. When I returned to the room, I noticed the “love” seat had iconic stains and returned for clean sheets. All this happened in the first five minutes.

I decided to try the pool while the room aired, but the pool had leaves and other debris littering the pool and patio area, and bird droppings covered the patio furniture. So, I decided to take a walk. There is a very small convenience store about two hundred yards from the property that sells alcohol, tobacco, and snack foods. There are some restaurants further away in all directions. Most of the major stores and chain restaurants are close, but you will want a car. Big box and grocery stores and fast food dot the frontage roads in both directions.

The staff offered me a room the second day, but it was ground level, very tiny, and looked out on the parking lot. I declined that room because it smelled and looked worse than the room I already had stayed in, and I was more comfortable keeping the windows open on the second floor at night. The kitchen was stocked OK with utensils, microwave, fridge, dishwasher, and two burner stove, but no oven. The wi fi was very slow during prime time of early/mid evening and early morning, but worked well off the peak times.

The “Grab ‘n Go” breakfast was more like “No Grab ‘n No Go”. It is typical of breakfast bars with junk food packaged as breakfast’ i.e. packaged sweet muffins, sugared oatmeal and granola bars. However, this hotel was worse than most for lack of stock and variety. The only non-sugar laden alternative is plain, instant oatmeal, and unwashed apples and oranges. Arrive as soon as the food is served because they constantly ran out of everything. I had to wait thirty minutes for coffee past breakfast opening three of the six mornings I was there. On the bright side, the morning coffee was good and served with a variety of creamers.

All in all, this hotel gets a no pass rating because it is not up to speed for business travelers and lacks the cleanliness and amenities to be comfortable, (room and facilities condition, no shampoo, soap, etc). It is dingy and run down, and better time management and higher quality standards would improve customer service. If you are on a tight budget and don’t care about comfort, this hotel is in an acceptable location for a place to crash.

Room Tip: Upstairs on the opposite side of the freeway is most quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank sundaddydo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Northwest - Research Park, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel. The situation you described regarding the odor and level of cleanliness in your room is truly regrettable. I have personally brought these issues to my housekeeping and maintenance staff to better train them on our cleaning as well as inspection procedures. Also, the grab-and-go breakfast is a new feature at our hotel. It includes many different options to start your day with, and is constantly being fine tuned. As we do so, we will keep your feedback in mind.

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. Please feel free to contact me directly, at ANR@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

This was a good stay for the price we paid. After reading some reviews I was a bit hesitant to book here but we were out of options and really tired. The room was very large and nice and was very clean. The breakfast left some to be desired but all of the staff were extremely friendly. There was a heavy set caucasian man who was great. got us checked in early and was there again at check out. He was fantastic with getting us directions and left us wanting to come back in the future. i do recommend this site to others, and we will come back in the future.

Room Tip: away from the highway
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank tara k
RDOAustin, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Northwest - Research Park, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
bryants bottom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

Just been dumped here miles from trendy Austin .its cold and depressing on the side of a freeway surrounded by nothing but roads.tried to walk 'somewhere' but got nowhere.... Found a dead dog....it's cold and the bedding is single ply nylon that slides off you with the static...I've been turning the cooker on to keep warm but bit scared of carbon monoxide poisoning as I get a bit sleepy.this could be boredom though.found my self listening to morrisey and Leonard Cohen.oh we'll only 5 more weeks,thanks for having me...

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank bigeggo
RDOAustin, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Northwest - Research Park, responded to this review, 21 January 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the location of the hotel, as well as the issues you experienced with the bed linens and heating in your room. In response to your feedback, I am going to make sure my staff is checking to ensure all the heaters are functioning properly. Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. I hope that you will contact me directly, at ANR@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.