Extended Stay America - Austin - Northwest - Research Park
Ranked #168 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Unsanitary conditions, bugs, hair all over the restroom, only roll of toilet paper was soaked, busted microwave, dead batteries in tv remote, dirty pilow cases and bed sheets....just disgusting and regrettable....this ruined what was supposed to be a mini-vacation get away...

Room Tip: Inspect your room before you commit to staying the night!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 June 2014

When we first arrived the staff was friendly enough and directed us to our room, if only to pull the wool over our eyes...When we walked in we were hit is the face by a horrible chemical/ smokey smell that was heightened by the fact that the AC was blowing at full speed on 60 deg making it quite stale and frigid. The entire place was dirty, flithy and if we we're staying for an "Extended Stay" would be unlivable. There was a broom just lying on the floor in the middle of the room! The carpet had more stains and sticky old residue than we could count! There was dust and crumbs and a sticky film on the counter tops, including the couches and beside tables which we had to personally wipe down with the already dirty dishtowels that we're in the room BEFORE we could even start relaxing or even sit down! All of the pots and pans had a slimy film on the bottom. And, there was only 1 dirty fork and in the dirty utensil drawer, so i had to go to the front desk to ask for more which they had to pull out of storage. The microwave was extremely dirty, it looked like a burrito blew up in it and they next time we tried to use it, sparks started flying requiring us to call the front desk again and wait around for Maintenance to show up before we could even warm up a meal. The clothing drawers and pieces of food in the in the only bath towels had yellow and red stains on them. What horrified us was there was also a pill on the floor, who knows if it was over the counter, prescription or illegal and thank God we didn't have any children with us and having them discover it instead of us! The showers we're scary, almost to the point where we we're going to go to bed without showering; had we not spent an hour cleaning the entire room and tub before we even settled in....there was hair everywhere, the water pressure was next to none and there was a horrible chemical smell that only got worse when the hot water and steam mixed with it. Later in the night we had a persistent knock on our door that they didn't let us ignore so we had to answer it, it was a questionable woman that looked strung out and sleep deprived with band-aids and scars on her arms..she asked if "so and so" was staying there and when we said "No you have the wrong room" she matter of factly asked "Are you sure?" This was ridiculous. This stay was deplorable. We would love to demand our money back, but from what we checked in the FAQ's it isn't something they do. We have every intention to deter friends, family and others not to stay at this hotel and report it to the Better Business Bureau. I cannot believe what was supposed to be a leisurely weekend away of relaxment and enjoyment turned out to be the worst weekend stay of our lives. NO JOKE.

Room Tip: Do not believe the "new renovated" advertisement they list on the site (Research Park Exte...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lucynda C
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Checkin agent had her speech memorized and mumbled it so fast I couldn't understand her. The room was quiet & clean. The A.C. was set to 60 degrees when we entered (easy fix). the one cockroach I stomped in the bathroom was alone... no biggie, this is Texas. All in all a pleasant experience.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Prebooked on hotels.com. Arrived at 1am after a 4.5 hour drive (with early business meeting scheduled for the morning) to find the hotel overbooked and two other couples in the same boat as us. Was able to get in a room after another couple deemed only available room unworthy. Room was smaller than I booked, but there were literally no other hotel rooms on town due to several events. We're told that we could speak to the GM in the morning to arrange some sort of compensation for the hour long wait to get into a smaller room. Never saw the GM once during our two night stay. Totally unacceptable. Poor management. Hotel is in an unsavory neighborhood. Walls are paper thin. We heard our neighbor yelling obscenities. Very scary.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Our extended stay just never worked out here and I'm going to try to stay as objective in this review as possible. Our length of stay was about three months for work.
Pros: nice room with comfortable accommodations. That's about it. Really was one of the nicer rooms at ESA we've seen.
Cons:
Arrived day one and didn't have a room ,that was reserved,and sent to another facility for a night.

After being in our room for three days we were told to move to another room so our room could be remodeled. Which ended up being a 5 day ordeal.

Our car was burglarized along with several others. No video surveillance in lot. Just one camera at the desk.

Police at facility frequently for disturbances, & criminal complaints.

Construction crew got paint overspray all over our car. Which wouldn't have been terrible if someone at the facility would have helped to take care of it. Instead they ignored me for two weeks. It was fixed after two months of calls and messages.

Management is rarely on site, and staff can answer no questions or help with issues without them. I actually spoke with a manager a handful of times and was told that the manager works 10-3 m-f. Great hours!

Erin the manger was of no help when I did speak with her. Just said sorry a lot and never followed through with anything. Brandy the regional manager was not much more help. If I had a nickel for every time someone said " I'll call you right back in ten minutes" and subsequently never responded, I'd have a big bag of nickels!

Water leak that after being reported went on for one week. After multiple reports to staff it was finally fixed in two minutes, after it had started leaking from multiple areas and ruined the ceiling in the kitchen.

The rooms along the front of the hotel are loud! The noise from the highway is seriously loud and no amount of insulation will keep it out.

Reported broken dresser and door hinges day two that were never repaired.

The biggest complaint I have out if everything is the horrible customer service. If they would return a call or even be available when I call or come to the desk I would be happy. If it's a weekend or after 6-7 pm then getting anyone to help out is gonna be hard. If your looking for staff they can sometimes be found outside behind the hotel on the phone or smoking. Other times they seem to hide somewhere, which like a said before wouldn't be terrible if they would just answer the phone.

I could continue but seriously there is no need. I've stayed at ESA's for work assignments across the USA for over one year and this is the worst of them yet.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Firemedic0135
Reviewed 16 April 2014

That's what my friend said of our room. Luckily, she was wrong. We had no light in our bedroom, our phone line was dead. Staff was unprofessional. They never helped me get a lamp for our room but did a fantastic job wasting my time. Everyone who works here is completely apathetic about their jobs, and I can't say I blame them, because from what I could see the place is very poorly managed. The rooms aren't dirty or anything, but they are not in good condition and certainly should not qualify as "newly renovated." Don't stay here. Don't.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chelsea C
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I decided to go to Austin this past weekend Feb. 1st thru 2nd 2014 I made arragements to stay in Extended Stay America again. I booked through priceline.com. This time I stayed at the one you are in the process of remodeling at 12424 Research Blvd, Austin, TX 78759. My room was very clean and updated. The only complain I had was the people above me were very noisy. I called down to the front desk and complained. Within 10 or 15 min the noise stopped. I am a single woman and felt safe.

Room Tip: If I stay again I will request 3rd floor not facing the parking lot.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Northwest - Research Park, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am pleased to read your remarks about your overall positive experience at our hotel. I am happy that you found your room to be comfortable and clean. As well, it's great to hear that you felt safe during your stay, as guest safety is one of our top priorities. Still, I apologize that you experienced some noise disturbances; however, I am glad that we were able to resolve the issue in a timely manner.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at ANR@extendedstay.com. I hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our hotel brand locations in the future.